• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
I
Yup, legit for sure, and very sturdy tweed cloth. Indeed No Camera man model, seems like simply an odd vest.
It will be Harris Tweed, surely these is a label inside?

The amount of Cabourn variants is pretty baffling. Small runs, more misses than hits. This could be a single season vest that never made a big splash. Looks nice, though quite generic. Very wearable.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
It will be Harris Tweed, surely these is a label inside?

The amount of Cabourn variants is pretty baffling. Small runs, more misses than hits. This could be a single season vest that never made a big splash. Looks nice, though quite generic. Very wearable.
Nope, no Harris Tweed label inside!
And a design which I have never come across, also with the back strap.
IMG_20230821_164245693.jpg
And the shape is different from the Mallorys as well.
A single season vest seems to be the most likely explanation indeed.
Anyway, this will be a nice vest for all cool days in fall and winter for me. And thanks for your input, @WDD_Blog - highly appreciated!

Last edited:

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
FWIW, here is a link to a NC tweed vest similar to mine. Harris Tweed though, and fully lined. Wow, the pricing as steep as usual.o_O

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
The Japan made officers shirts are truly high quality and can stand comparison with anything.
I am really looking forward to a blue British Officers shirt I have thrifted only today and which is on its way.

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to a blue British Officers shirt I have thrifted only today and which is on its way.
I have a couple of these Mainline shirts. Super thick cotton fabric. I’m hoping they will soften up a little with use.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
I have a couple of these Mainline shirts. Super thick cotton fabric. I’m hoping they will soften up a little with use.
I think mine will be softer material, it is supposed to be more like a dress shirt, not that coarse cotton of the one you mean. Maybe it is not made in Japan after all?
Anyway, I will post a pic here as soon it arrives.

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
I think mine will be softer material, it is supposed to be more like a dress shirt, not that coarse cotton of the one you mean. Maybe it is not made in Japan after all?
Anyway, I will post a pic here as soon it arrives.
If it’s Mainline it’s Japan, Authentic England and Lybro elsewhere (China of Eastern Europe generally).

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
If it’s Mainline it’s Japan, Authentic England and Lybro elsewhere (China of Eastern Europe generally).
England it is then.
Nigel Cabourn Officer Hemd hellblau gr 39 in Berlin - Mitte  eBay Kleinanzeigen ist jetzt Klei...png

I really like the style.

Nigel Cabourn Officer Hemd hellblau gr 39 in Berlin - Mitte  eBay Kleinanzeigen ist jetzt Klei...png

desolate

Reaction score
I have had mine for quite some years and the original winter season shirts really do stay pretty stiff - even after plenty of washes. I bought quite a few in a sale years ago and I think they will outlast me.
I have a couple that are in a lighter fabric (much more like oxford cotton) still pretty substantial but much less stiff.
(As an aside I bought one of the 3 piece suits at around the same time and the jacket and waist coat still feel stiff after plenty of wear although the trousers have final given in)

The design is different than that posted by OldRecordingGuy - no collar/cuff tabs and by the look of it, much heavier cotton

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the sad consequences of middle age- none of my classic Cabourn x ARN Mercatile trousers fit anymore.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
Arrived.
P1160582.JPG
Pretty versatile, for casual wear as all as sprucing up a little.
P1160599.JPG

P1160595.JPG

Last edited:

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
The Japan made officers shirts are truly high quality and can stand comparison with anything.
Now I know what you meant: I have thrifted also a Japan-made officers shirt (as good as new), and I like the heavy duty fabric and construction very much. Just wonder when the cloth will break in, will that be even within my lifespan? At 56 you shouldn't be overly optimistic ;)
IMG_20231011_144548266~2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads