1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dog's Dinner.

I rest my case.

2. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

All in the eye of the beholder... I saw a guy wearing that yellow-topped Cameraman a couple of years back in Newcastle and it looked excellent on him. I'd like to know the season it's from - looked old. His friend had a navy Mallory on. Not often you see two Cabourn items in the street side by side...

Agree that the blue "camo"-style example is a bit, er, 'individual' though...

I've noticed a lot of Camerman rip-offs this year, plus a few Mallory lookalikes. These are two Cabourn items that have definitely influenced the mainstream. Not sure any of his other pieces really have, not that it matters.

Also agree that the collaborations might be "jumping the shark" a bit now. IMO I don't think the Karrimor one was very good. That said, if anyone wants to buy a metal-framed Karrimor rucksack circa 1982 from me, in order to accessorise your Cabourn/Karrimor, do get in touch.

3. irbe

irbe Senior member

I actually like first two... :embar:

4. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

SS12 - yellow top with an off white linen bottom

Could have also been a H&M rip off from SS13

5. Eric Gill Sans

The Last Cameraman photo in Ike's post with the blue and white camp top and the blue bottom never went to market - it was an experimental sample only sold via Superdenim before Lewis set up Marrkt

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. Eric Gill Sans

Actually I've just remembered there was another one from SS10 called The Rangoon jacket which had a more faded bees wax yellow top

The yellow Cameraman from SS12 had the top two pockets in yellow as well and the yellow was a bright ventile

7. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

SS12 - thanks. It was unmistakably a Cabourn jacket. I'd have spotted a rip off, no bother.

8. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Checkmate, and I didn't need to cherry pick how many seasons back to do it. The Cameraman while not always perfect is still as strong as ever and a few bad iterations doesn't mean they're out of ideas or that it should be dropped.

This is the piece that first introduced to Cabourn and still one of my favorites. In fact I have a spare in case something happens to the one I wear regularly. It's an amazing piece and just one of many examples of how SS pieces tend to be underrated.

It's also a Rangoon is it not? Semantics I suppose.

I actually like the upper on that one. Where they screwed up was the lower. It should have been a dark navy color fabric. Not black navy, just dark navy. Possibly even denim as with SS14, but in that case the stitching would have to match and not be the usual stitching color that you see in most denim.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

To be totally and annoyingly pedantic, the upper was in Mackintosh bonded cotton :)

10. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

11. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Before judging ANY Cameraman style, let's all remember when you suggested you "finally found the perfect down parka for this winter". Probably the ugliest jacket I have ever seen. [​IMG]

I really like the Crazy Cameraman.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. Eric Gill Sans

Ha ha very good point , well made

13. Eric Gill Sans

And I really liked the blue Gingham check Caneraman/Rangoon ( whatever name it had that season) from SS11

Tried it on in Selfridges at the time I bought the blue and white camo naval parka and the blue linen work pocket jacket and hospital vest

I think I nearly went bankrupt on that day!

14. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

The blue / white camo parka is really cool - I saw one on eBay recently and they got so expensive. I was always considering one for myself, but it's quite a statement piece that one really needs to be confident about pulling off. Amazing piece.

15. Eric Gill Sans

You're right - it's not for the faint hearted
    I've worn it a few times and the last time was a year ago in Liverpool - I got some, well should I say 'interesting' comments

My wife has worn it a few times in the Summer as well

It's one of those jackets I hardly wear but can not part with

According to Drew at the time it was the only 46 outside of Japan

There was a sand and white version in 46 in a shop in Italy but I couldn't get to contact them

16. Eric Gill Sans

Just had my items delivered today from the Marrkt sale

Fantastic - really pleased

The black oilcloth CWP in 44 is quite small but perfect for my wife so she's happy

And I've got these beauties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The linen jacket is absolutely fabulous - can't get over the heavy weight of the linen and fit is spot on - it's labelled as a 46 and is perfect

17. irbe

irbe Senior member

Nice pick ups. Eric can I ask where you reside? Did you get a tracking number?

18. Eric Gill Sans

Lancashire UK

I got an email from Noverre yesterday saying the delivery was for today and that it would be coming by DPD

There was a link on the email which would track the parcel but I didn't use it as I got it delivered to my office

19. Eric Gill Sans

For any who didn't know what PhilVo and I were posting about

Here is the camo beeswax Naval Parka from SS11

[​IMG]

Not for the faint hearted

1 person likes this.
  20. irbe

irbe Senior member

Ahh no wonder you got it so quick. I haven't recieved my email confo yet that package is being shipped out, however i requested they do Royal Mail.