• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

doomtop

Reaction score
Great photos and post - I think you are right and your wager is safe. I think youve proven beyond doubt that this is indeed the source garment

The reference to it being 'British' may be an interview innaccuracy or it may have been issued to British forces.

I am assuming Nigel knew the origin was the US as he has done a garment called 'US navy clip jacket' which is a jersey hooded top with these fastenings.

Interestingly I've just looked in Nigel's 'Ascent of Cabourn' book from the 2003 collection and the clips used on the first photo of the Cameraman are exactly as the US smock and there is a page featuring this clip describing as a 'naval clip with rivets'

The garments photo'd in the book were samples which were made to look worn and I do know there were modifications made on some garments when they were first released so was there a Cameraman first released which had the same clips or was the 'ladder' type adjuster specially designed for this jacket from its first release?

I now think that the ladder type adjuster is a NC design but can't be sure - need more research

Apologies if this was already confirmed elsewhere in the thread, but I couldn't find it. I have a Cameraman from the original 2003 "Ascent" collection and it does in fact have the naval clips identical to those on the US military smock. The "ladder" design was not the original design of the jacket and was added later.

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

Apologies if this was already confirmed elsewhere in the thread, but I couldn't find it. I have a Cameraman from the original 2003 "Ascent" collection and it does in fact have the naval clips identical to those on the US military smock. The "ladder" design was not the original design of the jacket and was added later.
Fantastic - thanks for confirming that detail and no it hasn't been posted elsewhere Where and how did you come by original 2003 Cameraman ?

doomtop

Reaction score
Fantastic - thanks for confirming that detail and no it hasn't been posted elsewhere
Where and how did you come by original 2003 Cameraman ?

I could post some photos when I am at home, if that's helpful.

I purchased it from an individual some years ago.

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Flannels still have a couple of Navy Cashmere Duffles left - sizes 46 & 48, now reduced to £1120 - some 60% off and I guess represents something of a steal for Cabourn
smile.gif

Having actually felt one of the duffels at 14oz, I would say they are seriously desireable. Worth the money? No way, at that price not possible. Not when they cost as much as a decent used car, even at a hefty discount. But super-desireable, yes, totally. I think I could live in one.

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Cashmere is not cheap. Anyone care to guess that the cost price is on something like that?

I'm sure that grade and quality of cashmere is really expensive, but there are enough cheap items made of cashmere as well...

That duffle though... Wow.

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score
I was in Flannels in Manchester yesterday looking again at the duffle, umming and arhhing. They have the 46 which I did try on a couple of months ago - it is superb and I agree extremely desirable and for £1120 it's some reduction from £2800.

Even the 46 is a little big for me but duffles do look quite good oversize, I just felt that it is too much of a luxury item though - the fabric is just so soft, I would be frightened of damaging it - sitting on some chewing gum etc

If it had been in a heavy thick wool like the traditional duffles I think I might have gone for it

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Sadly I've not had the opportunity to actually see the Duffle in person.

NickJohannessen: Where did you feel yours?

14Oz in Mitte, Berlin. Quite a good shop for Cabourn and other cool stuff. As is the shop on Kudamm (that had the almsot mythical, grail Bombay pants in 4 variants of Harris Tweed, in several sizes!)

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got my eye on the Wide Lapel Jacket in Tweed, although it will probably be gone in the very near future, it's a Size 52 but is said to be a slim fit. I'm a 50 in the Mallory, can anyone comment how the fit compares to the Mallory.
Cheers.

Jon p

Reaction score
I've got my eye on the Wide Lapel Jacket in Tweed, although it will probably be gone in the very near future, it's a Size 52 but is said to be a slim fit. I'm a 50 in the Mallory, can anyone comment how the fit compares to the Mallory.
Cheers.
I have 2 wide lapel jackets in tweed. a 48 and a 50 It fits smaller across the chest than a mallory but wider in the shoulder. Its also shorter in length. Its a lovely jacket.
I wear a 48 in the mallory

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads