1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Very jealous. they are superb. 14oz?

2. desolate

desolate Active Member

14oz yes.

It's B I G, so I am bit worried that I will look like a schoolboy who's mum has bought him a coat to last 2 winters but it's an iconic peice so I am sure I could get a tailor on to it if it's over the top.

3. ike_hiking_boots

General consensus I believe is to size down one. Can you let us know how the colour is like when you receive it? I saw the blue used on a Ladies coat at Covent Garden and it looked a little bit washed out, still very nice though. Just wondering if they used the same shade on the Mens.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. conak

conak Well-Known Member

I guess everyone got locked into the fight over wether or not the Everst is worth buying...

But does anyone own the short vest, and do they have anything to say about it? I'd especially like to know how it compares to the mallory. Seems like the tweed is a bit thinner, but from the pics it doesn't appear to be significantly shorter or to have a lover neckline

5. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached a picture of my navy blue Everest Parka.

Besides, I started to wax my Cabourn Peacoat. 1st pic is the jacket before waxing. Second one is after having applied the first layer of wax but not having "melted" it into the fabric. I will share more pictures soon, however, waxing such a large jacket from scratch is more time consuming than I thought....

6. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

Doesn't look as good as mine ;-)

7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Well they've now added the "Archive" section to the Cabourn webshop.

8. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

1 person likes this.
  9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

@BLAUGRANA Thanks for those - it looks promising, after a summer season where I was underwhelmed.

10. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

@ManofKent Have to say that I was really underwhelmed with last summer initially but I grew to rally love it. Think it may be my favourite NC summer season and could have bought a lot of it beyond what I did. There's a lot of really underrated pieces.

I dunno if I'm just a fanboy but I really like this season's collection too. If I had a spare 10k, I'd be swimming in outerwear.

11. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

For the most part, I agree. SS for Cabourn peaked around 2010 or so. I have some wonderful linen trousers and jackets from then.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. ike_hiking_boots

After many weeks of searching I think I’ve finally found the perfect down parka for this winter. I admit I’ll never be able to afford a real Everest so I’m having to make a compromise. It’s features 90% duck/10% feather down, corozo nut buttons, RiRi Zips and a detachable real sheepskin collar – a perfect balance between style and practicality in my opinion. I’d really appreciate your thoughts before I take the plunge as I’m not 100% sure that the mauve 'Stippled Colour' print will work with everything in my wardrobe? What do you think?

[​IMG]

14. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

It's a bit fruity that Ike.

You say you could never afford an Everest. But save that £700 quid and maybe sell one of your other outerwear pieces. You'll be near to the money then for an Everest from 14oz.

15. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Please excuse my honesty: No matter whether it's high quality or not - this looks like a second hand parka from the 70s.

16. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Only piece I have is the Notch Camo sport coat from SS 13 - great piece

17. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I have the army stripe centenary tweed Mallory, I didn't know there was a solid army version as well.

I tend not to wear it much because I can never find any trousers I like with it. Your post inspired me to wear it yesterday though, and I just picked it up at the last minute going out the door wearing raw denim and a cream shetland jumper, ended up working rather nicely.

1 person likes this.
  18. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

My pleasure. After a second look it looks better, but still somewhat limited. Some similar looking pieces. Again, I prefer the women's styles. Some great looking pieces there.

I agree. As a collection it was excellent and add a piece or two from SS13 and it'd have been incredible. I've handled a lot of SS14 and there were some really good pieces.

SS from Cabourn is really underrated on this forum. Seems to happen every season. Personally I get it if it's to do with price as the prices are similar to AW despite the materials seeming not as rich. However there are still some great pieces over the past 2-3 years and some of my favorites, like the SS12 Cameraman in raw yellow and the SS14 Mountain parka, have come from SS. I still need that "naval camo" parka in the light blue. Should have just grabbed it when UshowU had it, assuming I recall correctly and they had my size. Anyway, I'm glad it's unpopular. That just means better sales and less competition for sizes.

Haha, that's the problem for me. I'm starting to swim in outerwear. Fortunately Barbour has been a bust since Tokihito left. Other Cabourn pieces are tough pull off in my size on top of my being less willing to throw down the money on say a shirt that I would be wiling to do on outerwear.

Summer? Some of it is. Spring? Most definitely.

Wasn't around for that season. IIRC SS12 had some nice linen pieces. All the Cameramen from that season had linen too.

How much for that one Ike? Have to say I'd pass no matter the cost. Reason I ask though is that depending on the cost, and the label looks like it says Paul Smith, you could probably do better for the price and as Migsy suggests just go for an Everest in say a year if you can find one. In the meantime I'd just go for a Cabourn x Eddie Bauer piece.

That's the thing though, there are plenty of other great SS pieces out there. I have that one too, but sadly it's a 52. Ditto for the denim version.

Just got this piece for a great price this week. Still haven't received it, but I can't wait. Sounds like it's in great condition too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  19. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

I have 30% Flannels code that runs until 9am tomorrow. Works on Cabourn stuff. I'm not flush after buying the Everest.
    Not sure if it's account specific.
    Try NOV30.

If it doesn't work for you I could try from my account for you.

20. ike_hiking_boots

£705. Went to Covent Garden today to have a look but they had sold out of my size.

The fabric is high quality 100% Nylon; looks much better in person. Here's a close up:

[​IMG]