• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Lem87

Reaction score
What is the difference in fit between the HNW moderate, and 55 last in Nicks? Does the HNW fit any shorter, with the less prominent arch support? Is it somehow, about the same length, regardless? Is HNW any more notoriously narrow or wide? My only example is a pair of whites, in their 55 which I understand to be wider at the ball of the foot than the nicks. I wound up ordering that a half size too big at 10E. They are livable laced all the way up, given I wear nothing but midweight wool socks. I did read the reddit post comparing nicks to whites, so I know the whites are wider at the ball and nicks have more volume at the toe. I wear steel toes for work. So, the whites, as they are, dont throw me too off balance and I fo find them comfortable but roomy. I have never experienced such prominent arch in a shoe outside of adidas sambas, before putting my whites on. My whites are lug half sole Mps, on the 55 last in 10E. Should I stick with that size and width in nicks HNW moderate arch, or still go down half a size?

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zuriick by Nicks
B8ACFDB9-027A-4FD6-9196-B365CEC534A3.jpeg

DG123

Reaction score
What is the difference in fit between the HNW moderate, and 55 last in Nicks? Does the HNW fit any shorter, with the less prominent arch support? Is it somehow, about the same length, regardless? Is HNW any more notoriously narrow or wide? My only example is a pair of whites, in their 55 which I understand to be wider at the ball of the foot than the nicks. I wound up ordering that a half size too big at 10E. They are livable laced all the way up, given I wear nothing but midweight wool socks. I did read the reddit post comparing nicks to whites, so I know the whites are wider at the ball and nicks have more volume at the toe. I wear steel toes for work. So, the whites, as they are, dont throw me too off balance and I fo find them comfortable but roomy. I have never experienced such prominent arch in a shoe outside of adidas sambas, before putting my whites on. My whites are lug half sole Mps, on the 55 last in 10E. Should I stick with that size and width in nicks HNW moderate arch, or still go down half a size?

Which Nicks model boot do you intend to purchase?

Boot drive

Reaction score
Aren't the MPs made in the MP last not the 55? I don't have any white's MP but from what I've read they are supposed to be a bit wider at the ball comparing to 55, have a flater toe and a lower arch. They recommend for the MP a full size down from brannock and a width up. I last did this with my Nick's America in HNW and that worked out fine for me(I have something of a wide foot with a low to inexistent arch)

Last edited:

Lem87

Reaction score

DG123

Reaction score

Your White 10E MP boots are too large in volume (heel area, instep) and also a bit too long in length ?

Lem87

Reaction score
Aren't the MPs made in the MP last not the 55? I don't have any white's MP but from what I've read they are supposed to be a bit wider at the ball comparing to 55, have a flater toe and a lower arch. They recommend for the MP a full size down from brannock and a width up. I last did this with my Nick's America in HNW and that worked out fine for me(I have something of a wide foot with a low to inexistent arch)
This makes me wonder if a brannock 10.5E with flat feet should buy a 9.5E as a rule if thumb, from these two boot makers when ordering 55, MP, or HNW moderate arch lasted products. I customized my mp with the semidress last, thats what I meant.

I am also flat footed. I clearly had extra room in the whites 10E that shoud ideally be shrunken down with the rebuild and next build (which is the nicks boot linked in the post above). So you are saying I should Go ahead and try the 9.5E as it is the safer bet knowing Nicks has a one boot pair exchange/ refund policy? Also, is the mp last closer in fit than the whites semidress 55 in your experience?

Completely unfamiliar territory for me, given what I chose to have whites make me. Any more details you can give would be appreciated. Nicks is a different brand from whites. The half size down recommendation is throwing me off, given my experiences, and the reddit post I read, comparing a whites 55 lasted shoe to a nicks one. The reddit post has me wondering if I should stick with 10E givrn it claims nicks feels a bit shorter. You have the experience that I dont.

Lem87

Reaction score
Your White 10E MP boots are too large in volume (heel area, instep) and also a bit too long in length ?
Length. I feel like the width is spot on. I dont need much leather lace tension to feel comfortable with the width. Its just locking my heel back that I need to make sure I remember to do each time I lace them up. This is to keep from slipping slightly with each step.

DG123

Reaction score
Length. I feel like the width is spot on. I dont need much leather lace tension to feel comfortable with the width. Its just locking my heel back that I need to make sure I remember to do each time I lace them up. This is to keep from slipping slightly with each step.

For your Nicks boot order a 9.5E will likely be a proper fit.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Does Nick's sell any veg-tan footbed inserts? I need to fill up a little bit of volume in these Builder Pro's... Thicker socks put the squeeze on the sides of my feet, the width and shape of these boots are perfect, i just need to raise my feet up a smidge. If not, do you know of any go-to source? I have some redwing foam inserts in them now, but I don't want foam... my feet hate synthetic materials, they start to stink over time.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Does Nick's sell any veg-tan footbed inserts? I need to fill up a little bit of volume in these Builder Pro's... Thicker socks put the squeeze on the sides of my feet, the width and shape of these boots are perfect, i just need to raise my feet up a smidge. If not, do you know of any go-to source? I have some redwing foam inserts in them now, but I don't want foam... my feet hate synthetic materials, they start to stink over time.
nevermind, i looked on the site, it appears they are available there... i thought i only remembered foam ones... is that a relatively new development?

Boot drive

Reaction score
This makes me wonder if a brannock 10.5E with flat feet should buy a 9.5E as a rule if thumb, from these two boot makers when ordering 55, MP, or HNW moderate arch lasted products. I customized my mp with the semidress last, thats what I meant.

I am also flat footed. I clearly had extra room in the whites 10E that shoud ideally be shrunken down with the rebuild and next build (which is the nicks boot linked in the post above). So you are saying I should Go ahead and try the 9.5E as it is the safer bet knowing Nicks has a one boot pair exchange/ refund policy? Also, is the mp last closer in fit than the whites semidress 55 in your experience?

Completely unfamiliar territory for me, given what I chose to have whites make me. Any more details you can give would be appreciated. Nicks is a different brand from whites. The half size down recommendation is throwing me off, given my experiences, and the reddit post I read, comparing a whites 55 lasted shoe to a nicks one. The reddit post has me wondering if I should stick with 10E givrn it claims nicks feels a bit shorter. You have the experience that I dont.
I went with a full size down from brannock and a width up so in your case a 9.5 EE. I've read online the the higher arch lasts are a little bit longer (or they make your foot feel a little bit small) but I can't speak to that because I'm flat footed and I've never tried anything in the 55 last(for me even the HNW fills my arches really good 😉).
Remember that going a full size down and a width up could mean that you fill the boot better (toes reach the correct place in the boot and you have enough room for toe splay and all the other good stuff) but this could bring a whole lot of other problems like the arch support being in the wrong place of your foot or the heel counter being to tight around the heel.
My foot has a flat arch, a skinny/bony heel and ankle and a squishy ball (with my foot in the air I'm a 8.5 D brannock, with my foot loaded on the brannock device with my body weight I'm a 8.5 E to EE). My arches also measure 8.5 on the brannock device. If you feel your foot also fits this description then go ahead and get a 9.5 EE or a 9.5E if you like a little bit snugger boots.
For me a full size down from brannock and a width up fits very good also in the 875 Red Wings moc toe. At the same time, half size down from brannock with the original width in Grant Stone Leo last fits with a long pointy toe and a little bit snug in width(thin to medium sock work fine but no thick socks). The heel counter cups my heel nice and snug so I can't go down in size in the Leo.
At the end of the day foot measurement is a very personal thing and no two feet are the same. So take all advice on this forum with a pinch of salt and just try a few boots from big brands in a few stores to form your own opinion.

JDRider

Reaction score
nevermind, i looked on the site, it appears they are available there... i thought i only remembered foam ones... is that a relatively new development?
they’ve had leather for awhile i know but i haven’t been paying attention tbh. keep in mind that the W&C are actual veg-tan like you had originally asked about and the Seidel and Horween are not. I have the Spencos in my Rangers and they are a bit thick, but a little stinky like you mentioned after a long day. i’d be curious to see how the Horween Chromexcel feels, might order a set. Just waiting to see if Schuyler was able to get double stuffed put on the kilties list ;)

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
they’ve had leather for awhile i know but i haven’t been paying attention tbh. keep in mind that the W&C are actual veg-tan like you had originally asked about and the Seidel and Horween are not. I have the Spencos in my Rangers and they are a bit thick, but a little stinky like you mentioned after a long day. i’d be curious to see how the Horween Chromexcel feels, might order a set. Just waiting to see if Schuyler was able to get double stuffed put on the kilties list ;)
I ended up ordering the W&C veg-tan. I will keep the group posted with results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads