• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

mattybr

Reaction score
Nearly 1 month update on my officers:
I have been alternating these with my Wesco jobmasters depending on what other clothes I'm wearing, but they have been worn most days for 3 1/2 weeks, including up the rocky tracks going up the local hills.

They started like this:
View attachment 1718721 View attachment 1718722

And now look like this:
View attachment 1718723 View attachment 1718724 View attachment 1718725

Due to the wet conditions ahead (we got about 200mm of rain the following week) and an increadibly loud and annoying squeak coming from the heel counter on the left boot, I gave them 2 heavy treatments with Obernauf's HDLP (outside only) and a blow dryer, which darkened them considerably, but so significantly improved water resistance.

The squeak was still there annoying as ever, so I tried filling the heel with 50-50 isopropyl alcohol and wearing them until it dried. Didnt work. Went insane inside and out with talcum powder and wore them for a few hours, flexing my ankles to try and work some of it in. Then I finally made some progress.
I used a heap of the R.M. Williams brand "leather conditioner" on the inside of the heel counter and wore them around like that all day and most of the night. There was enough in there it felt squishy walking around, but it eventually soaked in, and what do you know - the squeak is tolerable and minimal. I also wiped the excess on my hands onto the outside of the boot, which brough out a rich red colour..

Only problem with that method was some seeped past just the heel counter and soaked through the surrounding leather, darkening it more than the other parts of the boot. It's barely noticeable unless you're staring at it though (I did try and even the effect on the other boot by doing the same though.)

These are definitely my favourite day to day/medium duty boots so far. Now I just need a pair in black with V100 soles ?
Sweet boots! What leather? and is that a soft toe?

mattybr

Reaction score
A bombardment of questions (I love this thread):

1) Which W&C leather is in this photo of the Urban Logger? Urban Logger® English Bridle Veg Tan 55 Classic Arch Standard Toe (nicksboots.com)

2) Can you do a 4 row toe cap in a falcon, urban logger, or urban drifter in any W&C leather?

3) Between the Officer and falcon, which has more room in the toe box on a 55 last?

4) Could you do the moc toe lug 100 dogger heel in a W&C leather?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A bombardment of questions (I love this thread):

1) Which W&C leather is in this photo of the Urban Logger? Urban Logger® English Bridle Veg Tan 55 Classic Arch Standard Toe (nicksboots.com)

2) Can you do a 4 row toe cap in a falcon, urban logger, or urban drifter in any W&C leather?

3) Between the Officer and falcon, which has more room in the toe box on a 55 last?

4) Could you do the moc toe lug 100 dogger heel in a W&C leather?

no problem.

That is the medium brown.

Yes.

Those are both on the HNW last but they would be the same. The officer is basically an 8” Falcon. The 55 has more room than the HNW but it’s not a huge difference.

Dogger’s would be like what’s on the Robert. Is that what you mean? The heel cap on the lugs is a different shape so that would be mixing a lug fore sole and a comp toe heel cap, basically, which I’m not sure about from a height standpoint but could check

mattybr

Reaction score
no problem.

That is the medium brown.

Yes.

Those are both on the HNW last but they would be the same. The officer is basically an 8” Falcon. The 55 has more room than the HNW but it’s not a huge difference.

Dogger’s would be like what’s on the Robert. Is that what you mean? The heel cap on the lugs is a different shape so that would be mixing a lug fore sole and a comp toe heel cap, basically, which I’m not sure about from a height standpoint but could check
Thank you for this. My question about the moc toe is on the "Moc Toe Work Custom Configuration" Moc Toe Work - Custom Configuration - Standard Lead Time (nicksboots.com) "Heel Style" with the Dogger selection.
This selection but with W&C Milled Buck Brown?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-13 143027.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-13 143027.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 121

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The predator orange roughout is VERY orange. Too orange for me, but very distinctive.
For what it's worth it starts out very orange but will mellow fairly quickly. Here's a post showing out of the box v. 6 months v. 2 years.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How does the arch support and fit/feel of the 5332 last compare to the 55 last?
The arch angle, height and depth from the heel are pretty much the same (I just measured 2 11E's in both lasts to be sure). The toe box is longer in the 5332 by a good bit and more snug. Obviously that absolute measurement will depend proportionately on your size, but I find a narrower toe box on the 5332 to be the biggest differentiator.

andy b.

Reaction score
These are kind of terrible but we will take DSLR’s tomorrow when the light is better. We also made a double CXL side which is interesting. This is a veg tan on the interior.

Cool thing is everyone can be matchy with their boots, if they like. Stay tuned…

View attachment 1732886
View attachment 1732887
View attachment 1732891
View attachment 1732893

My belt arrived yesterday. I couldn't very well say I thought $125 would be a good deal and then not buy one. LOL

Also, I got black with the nickel hardware.

This belt is a monster. It is two belts. As in two belts sewn together to be 1/4" thick! I can safely say that if you are a normal human with a life expectancy of around 80 years, you will be passing this belt down to your grandchildren, at the least.

My old belt measured about 31" to the hole I normally use, so I ordered the 34" belt, and I can buckle it in the middle hole, exactly as desired.

Also, the nickel hardware is not your standard Tandy Leather or Hobby Lobby cheap, thin plated nickel. I'm sure in a motorcycle accident if you were to skid down the pavement on this buckle, it would emerge unscathed.

In all seriousness, I am impressed. Excellent workmanship and quality. Definitely worth the price.
The weather has not really been cooperating for a photo, and indoor lighting doesn't really capture the belt as well as I'd like. Shuyler can probably provide better photos than I could.

montanamike

Reaction score
My belt arrived yesterday. I couldn't very well say I thought $125 would be a good deal and then not buy one. LOL

Also, I got black with the nickel hardware.

This belt is a monster. It is two belts. As in two belts sewn together to be 1/4" thick! I can safely say that if you are a normal human with a life expectancy of around 80 years, you will be passing this belt down to your grandchildren, at the least.

My old belt measured about 31" to the hole I normally use, so I ordered the 34" belt, and I can buckle it in the middle hole, exactly as desired.

Also, the nickel hardware is not your standard Tandy Leather or Hobby Lobby cheap, thin plated nickel. I'm sure in a motorcycle accident if you were to skid down the pavement on this buckle, it would emerge unscathed.

In all seriousness, I am impressed. Excellent workmanship and quality. Definitely worth the price.
The weather has not really been cooperating for a photo, and indoor lighting doesn't really capture the belt as well as I'd like. Shuyler can probably provide better photos than I could.
I had thought something along the lines of a Filson double belt with a Nicks twist would be a cool addition. I'll check it out on my next trip through Spokane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads