• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Jsanchez

Reaction score
Yep, it was created to basically show people what an 8” Falcon would look like.
Piggie back question. I recently purchased a pair of 8" falcons. Is the heel height on these the same as the heel height of the Roberts? I compared the heel of the falcons to the logger heel of my White's and it was the same height.

Butch

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler - That dark brown English Bridle veg tan is exactly the color I'm looking for but when I go to customize the moc toe on the website it only lists the medium brown as an available W&C choice. Am I able to do the dark brown? What are your thoughts between the brown CXL and the W&C? Do you think I should do a try on to verify the size before my orders start to get made? I already have one order in the pipeline. Glad to pay the $60 if you have an 11.5D available.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Piggie back question. I recently purchased a pair of 8" falcons. Is the heel height on these the same as the heel height of the Roberts? I compared the heel of the falcons to the logger heel of my White's and it was the same height.

The Robert heel (along with almost all the 55 and 11067 last boots) is two layers taller, totaling around 3/8-1/2”.
That last and heel difference is the only distinction between the two boots.

andy b.

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler about how long is the current lead time for a standard Aldert build (black CXL, black crepe sole, size 9 1/2 D)? Pretty much as standard a build as you can get.

Another random question. How do new craftsmen and women get into the boot building trade? I'm guessing there must be some type of apprentice program. It's a skilled trade, you can't just show up and start sewing boots. LOL
No, I am not looking for a career change. Just wondering.

ciceroyeah

Reaction score
Another random question. How do new craftsmen and women get into the boot building trade? I'm guessing there must be some type of apprentice program. It's a skilled trade, you can't just show up and start sewing boots. LOL

I have the same question. Seems like it would be a difficult skill set to learn. Are there apprenticeships or on-the-job training for new hires? Or do you prefer to get experienced leatherworkers for specific roles?

prasom

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler Have a question about the lead time. Planning on ordering a pair of 10D overlanders 8" in 1964 brown smooth or color 8 . Just wondering about the lead times for this. I was sized for 55 last (10D) does it change if I want to get the overlanders which is in HNW?

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No. The Falcon is a little over 1/4" shorter (I just measured some from the sales floor).

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler - That dark brown English Bridle veg tan is exactly the color I'm looking for but when I go to customize the moc toe on the website it only lists the medium brown as an available W&C choice. Am I able to do the dark brown? What are your thoughts between the brown CXL and the W&C? Do you think I should do a try on to verify the size before my orders start to get made? I already have one order in the pipeline. Glad to pay the $60 if you have an 11.5D available.
If you want to place the order for the medium brown W&C I can change it to the dark brown on the bill of materials if you send me the order number. Most people do not need the try on process (about 94% of buyers get it right the first time) so I generally only recommend it if you've had trouble with sizing with other brands or shoes in the past.

Brown CXL is a classic and always looks good. The only caveat I would add is that it is a traditional brown so you may already have some footwear that performs a similar function, looks-wise. The Wickett is a great boot leather, holds up well, slightly more frequent maintenance but not a big deal. It can be a little stiffer out of the box but breaks in well. It probably ages more interesting than CXL, but these are finer points of difference.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler about how long is the current lead time for a standard Aldert build (black CXL, black crepe sole, size 9 1/2 D)? Pretty much as standard a build as you can get.

That is in our 'quick ship' (remember when this used to be 2 weeks?, I do) and would be 8 weeks:

For your second question, yeah, it's probably what you think, we hire people as apprentices and depending on their inclination they usually start with what are essentially expeditor tasks like boxing, hooks and eyes, prepping boots for lasting, skiving, etc. Then they usually have a specific task in mind and will go into training on that, like bottoming, sanding, sewing or stitching. Depending on their success there they can go into lasting and/or learn another skill as wages are on a scale that is influenced by skill/experience and ability to do different tasks in the factory. Most of our experienced bootmakers can do everything but sewing, which is kind of it's own path.

Robot82

Reaction score
Hello, I'm wondering what the target user is for the 67 last. I watched the Youtube video where Grant explained how the 67 last has a taller toe box but same overall diameter around the ball which makes it narrower side to side compared to the same width 55 last. I'm guessing it isn't just about toe wiggle room. What are the functional benefits of the 67 over the 55, what is the target use for the 67, and does it actually feel more narrow?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads