• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the highlights of the game again. Anyone who says the Bruins are "less dirty" than the Canucks needs their head checked.

I had a friend taunt me with a text that said more Canadians are supporting the Bruins because of the Canucks' dirty play. What he failed to realize was the fact that Canadians don't really support the last remaining Canadian team.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the Bruins are angels...

Short memories too...oh and Ryder fucknuts didn't get any suspension for this 'hit'...

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I watched the highlights of the game again. Anyone who says the Bruins are "less dirty" than the Canucks needs their head checked.
Is there really anyone making the argument that the Bruins play clean? I'm a Bruins fan and it's the one aspect of the current team that pisses me off. For one, I wish Lucic would stop punching people in the head with his glove on after the whistle.
angry.gif
I think the surprise for a lot of Eastern Conference viewers is how dirty the Canucks (a finesse/skill-based team) actually are. That said, there are a lot of shenanigans that go on during a game that TV viewers and even those in the stands often aren't privy too, and what looks dirty on a replay may be practically angelic compared to the unseen, unpenalized actions perpetrated by the "victim" that preceded it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keroberos
Is there really anyone making the argument that the Bruins play clean? I'm a Bruins fan and it's the one aspect of the current team that pisses me off. For one, I wish Lucic would stop punching people in the head with his glove on after the whistle.
angry.gif
I think the surprise for a lot of Eastern Conference viewers is how dirty the Canucks (a finesse/skill-based team) actually are. That said, there are a lot of shenanigans that go on during a game that TV viewers and even those in the stands often aren't privy too, and what looks dirty on a replay may be practically angelic compared to the unseen, unpenalized actions perpetrated by the "victim" that preceded it.

Actually, I think part of the Canucks' problem in this series is that they're trying to play the Bruins' game instead of their own.

guster

Reaction score
angry.gif
I think the surprise for a lot of Eastern Conference viewers is how dirty the Canucks (a finesse/skill-based team) actually are.

That said, there are a lot of shenanigans that go on during a game that TV viewers and even those in the stands often aren't privy too, and what looks dirty on a replay may be practically angelic compared to the unseen, unpenalized actions perpetrated by the "victim" that preceded it.

+1

tj100

Reaction score
angry.gif
I think the surprise for a lot of Eastern Conference viewers is how dirty the Canucks (a finesse/skill-based team) actually are.

That said, there are a lot of shenanigans that go on during a game that TV viewers and even those in the stands often aren't privy too, and what looks dirty on a replay may be practically angelic compared to the unseen, unpenalized actions perpetrated by the "victim" that preceded it.

I think the difference is that the Bruins are physical - and proud of it. Marchand threw two pretty dirty plays in a row (), and immediately drops the gloves to fight.

What frustrates the Bruins (and their fans) is that the Canucks seem really chippy, but then don't have the backbone to stand behind it. The difference, IMHO, is when the Bruins punch somebody in the back of the head, they say, "Yeah, I punched you in the back of the head, let's fight it out" - whereas the Canucks do the same thing and follow up with a "I don't know why you're so mad, eh, your head just ran into the area that my fist was in." I think the line between tough and dirty is whether you're willing to accept on-ice responsibility for what you've done.

JYanalunas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I think the difference is that the Bruins are physical - and proud of it. Marchand threw two pretty dirty plays in a row (), and immediately drops the gloves to fight. What frustrates the Bruins (and their fans) is that the Canucks seem really chippy, but then don't have the backbone to stand behind it. The difference, IMHO, is when the Bruins punch somebody in the back of the head, they say, "Yeah, I punched you in the back of the head, let's fight it out" - whereas the Canucks do the same thing and follow up with a "I don't know why you're so mad, eh, your head just ran into the area that my fist was in." I think the line between tough and dirty is whether you're willing to accept on-ice responsibility for what you've done.
Canucks are a physical team.....whistle to whistle. Guys like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa love playing the body andngetting chippy. Their problem lies in between the whistles. And the fact that Kesler is still hurting from the hit against the Sharks, coupled w Hamhuis' injury, is enough to let Boston back in this series. No Hamhuis is gigantic. Sidenote: even if BOS loses this series, TT wins Conn Smythe.....unless he gets shelled, TWICE. Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JYanalunas
Canucks are a physical team.....whistle to whistle. Guys like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa love playing the body andngetting chippy. Their problem lies in between the whistles.
And the fact that Kesler is still hurting from the hit against the Sharks, coupled w Hamhuis' injury, is enough to let Boston back in this series. No Hamhuis is gigantic.

Sidenote: even if BOS loses this series, TT wins Conn Smythe.....unless he gets shelled, TWICE.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wait....the Bruins are without their top 2 offensive players. Canucks can't be complaining about injuries.

Lots of people are saying that Thomas has not really been tested in these last few games. Lots of Canuck shots on goal, but Thomas has a had a lot of clean looks. Is he Conn Smythe winner in a series loss or has he not really been tested?? Almost opposite ends of the spectrum

guster

Reaction score
In every series, the Bruins opponent is supposed to be much more skilled. Philly and Montreal were the most physically damaged teams. Yet, each series, fans complain how their team went into a shell against the Bruins. (Of course, Bruins fans also complain about effort also when Bruins lose!) Yet the Bruins have persisted. They simply do not get enough credit for being a good team. They certainly have talent. Not as much skill as Canucks but they do have good talent. Chara is one of top 2-3 Defensive guys in league. Bergeron is one of the best 2 way players at his position. Seidenberg, Krejci definitely have strong talent. (Krejci shined in Olympics / still is too erratic, but good skills)

What the Bruins do have is excellent NHL players that know how to play a system. They built their team with professionals that know how to play as a team and do the little things that help generate wins. It reminds me the 1st time the Devils won it all. Lots of people screaming how they lacked talent and it was just their trapping scheme and strong goalie. As they later proved, they had more talent than people originally gave them credit for. However, a super goalie, good but not great talent and players that do the little things to win within a good system was a great formula for a championship.

Shooting, passing and "finishers" get most of the recognition by many fans. But there is so much more to the game than just that.

Now with that said, I think Canucks also have guys that can grind out some wins. Everyone is picking on Sedin twins and Kesler. Bruins are putting a good defensive system and players against that line. I think the "lesser" Canuck players are the ones that need to step up their game, start finishing their checks, take back the neutral zone and do the little things for Canucks to win it all. Or just wait for Bruin s to give less than all out effort like they did in 1st few games.!!

And tonight the game is back on faster and better ice so that will benefit the Canucks.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Oh yeah, the Bruins are angels...

Short memories too...oh and Ryder fucknuts didn't get any suspension for this 'hit'...

Why do you keep whining about the suspension? Canucks got the better of that deal.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I re-watched the hit on Horton by ROme and can't help but feel that something is wrong with the suspension. Don't get me wrong, we got the better of that deal, but the only reason Horton got concussed was because he hit his head on the ice on the way down. The actually shoulder -chest/head hit didn't do much damage. That's why it feels like the suspension is fairly extreme, given that Rome didn't even take a run at him - just stood him up and the force catapulted him off his feet and he hit his head on the ice.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
Why do you keep whining about the suspension? Canucks got the better of that deal.

How do you figure? The Bruins won the next two games?? And I am not 'whining' about the suspension, I am 'whining' about the arbitary nature of the suspension. Why so long for that hit, when other equally bad (or worse) hits got nothing?

I guess having Colin Campbell as your dad helps eh??

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
the only reason Horton got concussed was because he hit his head on the ice on the way down. The actually shoulder -chest/head hit didn't do much damage.

honest question, are you a doctor?

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
How do you figure? The Bruins won the next two games?? And I am not 'whining' about the suspension, I am 'whining' about the arbitary nature of the suspension. Why so long for that hit, when other equally bad (or worse) hits got nothing?

I guess having Colin Campbell as your dad helps eh??

Colin was retired before the incident.

Look, it happened at the NHL showcase event. And we just see the hit differently. He hit him late, he left his feet (look at pictures for those that don't belive that, positive proof Rome left his feet), he coiled and he hit him in the head. More imortantly for the suspension....And however it happened, Horton suffered a gruesome injury from a head shot on national tv during Stanley Cup Finals. All while NHL says they are trying to get rid of head shots.

If it was either team, there would have been a suspension. Is it fair and consistent enforcement by NHL - no way. The hit on Rome earlier in the playoffs should have been a suspension. The NHL is full contact sport as Burke says, but he also says they have to make it safer for the players. The sport is getting more dangerous, with the equipment, the size and speed of players. Guys are getting F*cked up for life with these head injuries. The NHL would be negligent if they did not do something.

And if you even pretend you would not trade Rome for the Bruins 2nd best offensive player and
2nd leading playoff scorer, you are showing a great sense of humor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics