• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2016-17 Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But my point is that you can't judge a play call based on what happened in hindsight. You have to judge it based on the information available at the time. Odds of a pick are pretty minimal on any given play. Odds that you score given 4 chances are pretty high. Etc.

I still disagree. It was an out and out bonehead call. Lynch just pretty much just effortlessly ran through the Patriots for 5 yards on the previous play, and they had more than enough time to run the ball three times with the timeouts they had.

There is absolutely no reason why they should not have done exactly that. If they wanted to make the Patriots really work for that victory, having Marshawn Lynch run it up the gut three times in a row would be the way to do that. Not a short throw into coverage in the middle of the field at the goal line. It was poor call, and almost indefensible. Both before and after the outcome, imo

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, Bhowie is a tried and true Johnny Football fan! Know your facts.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of, the commercials were especially bad this year. Just godawful. The one with Bryan Cranston made me chuckle though.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
24-sherman.nocrop.w529.h316.gif

malcolm-butler-pick.nocrop.w529.h316.gif

sherman.nocrop.w529.h316.gif

in fairness he did shake brady's hand at the end of the game:

richard-sherman-tom-brady.jpg

tom-brady-richard-sherman-handshake.jpg

good game

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey you guys remember when those chumps started a fight with the Pats in the V formation?

lol chumps. How does that salty dick taste?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mindy Project/Matt Damon, Liam CoC, and that glue commerical, were lolzy.

I think before making SB commericals was so high pressure and expectations were so high, they were better. It all feels so forced to me now.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still disagree. It was an out and out bonehead call. Lynch just pretty much just effortlessly ran through the Patriots for 5 yards on the previous play, and they had more than enough time to run the ball three times with the timeouts they had.

There is absolutely no reason why they should not have done exactly that. If they wanted to make the Patriots really work for that victory, having Marshawn Lynch run it up the gut three times in a row would be the way to do that. Not a short throw into coverage in the middle of the field at the goal line. It was poor call, and almost indefensible. Both before and after the outcome, imo

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree (well, at least to the extent of how bad the call was). Sometimes you have to do something different to keep a defense honest. I am not necessarily saying it was the right play call or that I would have made it myself, just that I think it is being judged way too harshly on the basis of hindsight. Ignoring a Lynch fumble, here are the scenarios that could happen:

1) Wilson throws interception; game over
2) Wilson throws TD pass; game basically over but Seattle wins absent a miracle
3) Wilson throws incomplete pass; Lynch scores a TD on the next play
4) Wilson throws incomplete pass; Lynch scores a TD on 4th down
5) Wilson throws incomplete pass; Lynch fails to score a TD on 2 tries

Obviously if Wilson throws a pick, the game's basically over. That scenario did happen. But there's a pretty strong chance that one of scenarios 2-4 happen too. The other option is that Lynch (who had done such a great job) wouldn't be able to make it in 2 tries but might have been able to do so in 3. I'm just not convinced that mathematically, that particular play call made a Seattle victory that much more unlikely. I'm sure some sports statistics blogger will run the numbers at some point, though.

This isn't the first time a coach has thrown the ball on 2nd and goal from the 1, even with a great RB. It won't be the last time.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannot believe Wilson didn't just hand the ball to Lynch, and call off the play. Gonna regret that for the rest of his life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads