1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Two things that are already annoying, one game into the season:

Coaches running draw plays on second and long
    Collinsworth saying "...the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!"

2. europrep

europrep Senior member

Neither of those teams have a shot this year with those defenses. Steelers will put up some serious yards when Bell and Bryant are back, but when you put up 500 yards and still loose, you can't win a championship.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

:rolleyes: :tomasso:

Here's a list of all the stout Patriots defenses since 1999:

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Negative. The first three Super Bowl-winning teams (particularly the first one) were defensive oriented. The two Super Bowls the Patriots lost featured a high-powered offense.

I would never count the Patriots out of anything, but can you feel good after seeing the defense gashed repeatedly by both the run and the pass last night?

5. europrep

europrep Senior member

And last year they were 13th in yards and 8th in points. You don't need a top 5 defense to win the big game, but it is extremely difficult if you are bottom 10.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Well right now they've allowed the fewest points and are second in overall defense...

Chill out dude, it's one game. They'll improve. Did they take a step back, yes. But they also played against a pretty good offensive team, too. So...

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I did not like seeing the Pats give up 460 yards, but the Patriots do tend to improve in the back half. I hope that happens this year. We can only read so much into one game.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I mean... Pats gave up 460 yards to a team who's coaches weren't able to communicate with each other during the first half... what will happen when their opponents headsets work?

9. Ambulance Chaser

:lol:

Maybe they'll water down the side of the field they're defending?

10. archibaldleach

What happens when they switch sides?

11. archibaldleach

Haha. I'm just glad their kicker was awful and Heyward Bey couldn't catch an easy ball in bounds.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

Pats probably have special cleats for watery soil.

Edina are you a Pats fan?

14. venividivicibj

How many guaranteed picks is that?

15. archibaldleach

Assuming 80 picks over 4 years, around $800,000 per pick.

16. Ambulance Chaser

Not sure if you're looking for a serious answer, but the Patriots run a dink-and-dunk offense that is less affected by a slow field than a team with a vertical passing attack. Don't want to rehash Deflategate, but the nature of the Pats' offense made it at least plausible to me that somebody on the team intentionally deflated footballs. A slightly deflated football is more difficult to throw a long distance with a tight spiral (which is why Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs to be slightly overinflated), but is easier to catch and hold on to. The Patriots are more concerned about the latter than the former.

Sounds like a lot, but is that the going rate for a QB of his caliber? I'd put him on the same tier as Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, and Romo.

17. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Obviously record the other team's signals or send in low level employees to steal their play sheets.

1 person likes this.
  18. archibaldleach

@Ambulance Chaser, I was being tongue and cheek. I assumed you were as well.

That's kind of the issue. It's one of those things where teams suck it up and pay, which drives the market for above average but not elite quarterbacking talent very close to what you pay an elite QB. I think Rodgers' extension averaged $22 million a year and there's no way I'd take Eli and $1 million in cap space over Rodgers. At this point, I think Eli is making more than pretty much everyone except Rodgers and Wilson (not entirely fair since the price for QBs seems to go up each year and some of those guys got their contracts a couple years ago). So I get why teams do it (in a win now league, the risk of starting over with a QB who could suck is not worth it), but you kind of look at that and see a competitive disadvantage if the Giants are paying almost as much for a QB as the Packers and more than the Patriots / Broncos / Saints / etc.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Eli is 4th behind Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Wilson.

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Far be it from me to bring down ELi (considering I'm a Pats fan) but I'd take Luck and Matty Ice over him. Playoff Eli is a different story obviously