• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new shaving regimine

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
started using mama bear shaving soap (which is the first thing that my wife has ever declared "totally gay") and a moss scuttle. very very happy with the effect.

highly recomend the moss scuttle, it keeps your lather warm. I microwaved the soap and poured it into the scuttle, and have no problem with the size of the scuttle for building lather.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mama Bear makes good soap. When I need a really close shave, it's Mama Bear and a freshly-honed straight.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
started using mama bear shaving soap (which is the first thing that my wife has ever declared "totally gay") and a moss scuttle. very very happy with the effect.

highly recomend the moss scuttle, it keeps your lather warm. I microwaved the soap and poured it into the scuttle, and have no problem with the size of the scuttle for building lather.

Really good shaving soap or cream, a quality brush, and good preparation and technique makes such a difference over goop in a pressurized can.

I envy your scuttle, but for those who want a cheap easy alternative I'm using a $1 ceramic bowl from Wal-mart and a $8 plug-in coffee mug warmer.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the scuttle isn't really for building lather, but for keeping it warm

G79

Reaction score
I think as long as the lather is good and the hair wet for slightly over 2 mins, with a reasonable blade the shave will be smooth.

Any recommendations on the shaving cream/ foam ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
the scuttle isn't really for building lather, but for keeping it warm

yeah, but it is perfectly acceptable for building the lather, too.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm confused. Usually I get out of the shower, run hot water on my brush, swirl it in the soap, quickly reheat beard and lather up. Elapsed time from shower to first bladestroke is a min. or so. At what point does the scuttle come in, and how do you use it?
confused.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I'm confused. Usually I get out of the shower, run hot water on my brush, swirl it in the soap, quickly reheat beard and lather up. Elapsed time from shower to first bladestroke is a min. or so. At what point does the scuttle come in, and how do you use it?
confused.gif

yeah, that's what I used to do. and I never thought I was missing anything. I didn't know why I needed to "keep the lather warm". but, no ******** you, the extra warmth is nice, very nice. you basically put hot water (I use hot tap water) in the bottom part. I get the brush wet, lather up, and apply. I guess that lathering, without the scuttle, allows some of the warmth to disipate, and the brush gets slightly colder. and, like I said, I never missed it, until I tried the scuttle.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shave in the shower. Microwaving soap sounds like too much work.

You're missing the pre-shave oil.
bigstar[1].gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I shave in the shower. Microwaving soap sounds like too much work.

it was only once - to make it fit the scuttle

You're missing the pre-shave oil.
bigstar[1].gif
yeah, that's the next thing I need

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, that's what I used to do. and I never thought I was missing anything. I didn't know why I needed to "keep the lather warm". but, no ******** you, the extra warmth is nice, very nice. you basically put hot water (I use hot tap water) in the bottom part. I get the brush wet, lather up, and apply. I guess that lathering, without the scuttle, allows some of the warmth to disipate, and the brush gets slightly colder. and, like I said, I never missed it, until I tried the scuttle.

So the soap sits in the scuttle (surrounded by hot water), so the hot brush is swirling around in soap that is 'heated' by the surrounding water?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
So the soap sits in the scuttle (surrounded by hot water), so the hot brush is swirling around in soap that is 'heated' by the surrounding water?

That's too effing complicated
confused.gif

I take a very hot shower, come out, wet my brush with hot water, lather up the AdP in the jar, put on face and shave.

I try to keep the microwave out of the bathroom
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads