• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 19, 2015

Yogi15

Reaction score
Help me understand shoulder fitting of a jacket please.

I measured my shoulders to be about 19 inches across the back. I have a jacket that is 19 inches in the shoulders, but has divots if I go to shake hands with someone. However, when standing with arms by my side, there are no divots. Sorry, don't have a picture, but how much wiggle room is there in a decent shoulder fit? Are divots ok when moving (gross movements, not slight arm swings) and extending?

Thanks for all of your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I measured my shoulders to be about 19 inches across the back. I have a jacket that is 19 inches in the shoulders, but has divots if I go to shake hands with someone. However, when standing with arms by my side, there are no divots. Sorry, don't have a picture, but how much wiggle room is there in a decent shoulder fit? Are divots ok when moving (gross movements, not slight arm swings) and extending?

Shoulder construction varies so you will have different fit results depending on the maker. If there are no divots with your arms by your side, you're fine. Snap a picture if you can.

Yogi15

Reaction score

Shoulder construction varies so you will have different fit results depending on the maker. If there are no divots with your arms by your side, you're fine. Snap a picture if you can.

Yeah, I'm finding I have divots on jackets with shoulders narrower and wider than mine. It seems to have a lot to do with my posture, sleeves, arm holes and jacket construction. Like some jackets are built for a particular posture.

I guess I can't get too picky since I'm a budget shopper. I get compliments on my outfits, so I'm thinking most people don't even notice and or I am being too picky.

Crazy though, I have sport jackets same size from the same company, but from different years and the fit is quite different. Incredible how these things can vary.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They feel kinda tight, are they too tight or is this how they should fit? The pockets look nice and loose in the front by the way, which seems to be the number one way to tell if they are too tight.

Here's some pictures: http://postimg.org/gallery/1tr2e80ii/

Hey ddresup, next time at least warn me that I'm going to be looking at 4 different butt shots! They are too tight.

Yogi15

Reaction score
Hi there, what type of trousers go well with cashmere sportcoats?

Tabooku

Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether you have to pay for alterations at suitsupply? I distinctly remember seeing a pricing section on their website but I see no sign of it now.

Thanks
smile.gif

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can someone tell me whether you have to pay for alterations at suitsupply? I distinctly remember seeing a pricing section on their website but I see no sign of it now. 

Yes, you do.

ShoeFinance77

Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://m.ebay.com/itm/HESCHUNG-Brow...e-9-5-Made-in-France-/301786412224?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sutor-Manella...-Shoe-Size-9-5-Men-s-/272035993046?nav=SEARCH

I have a quick question? If you had to chose between these 2 shoes, which pair would you choose ? I need both brown and black in my wardrobe. Are the Sutor Montelassi's dated? Is that true Norvegese stitching, or simply there for aesthetics?
The last question pertains to both pair.

The Sutor sold. Heschung makes nice shoes, but I'm not really fond of that one.

ShoeFinance77

Reaction score
The Sutor sold. Heschung makes nice shoes, but I'm not really fond of that one.
Did you like the Sutor or was it dated? I just started getting in to high quality classic dress shoes versus trendy fashion shoes this past year, and I want to upgrade cheaply until I know exactly what my tastes are, but because I'm new to higher end well built shoes I don't recognize older looks as out of fashion. Though to be honest, the men's shoes in general seem to revolve around classic styling without much variation relative to other men's apparel, like shirts. I'm not saying they don't have new looks, but classic looks seem to dominate men's shoe demand on the buy side.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads