NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 19, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Hey decumulate, if you ask here you should get a good response.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/268468/the-shell-cordovan-non-alden-shoe-and-boot-thread

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

2. Murlsquirl

It can be done, but it will not be cheap. I used Mario the Tailor when I lived there and he does good work. I would just stop by if you're close and have him take a look. It's not a job you want some random dry cleaner/alteration to do.

3. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

4. Yogi15

Yogi15 Member

Hi All,

I've been lurking the forums for a while and finally joined so that I can ask for your help.

I've bought a few second hand Harris Tweed jackets from Orvis since they fit me pretty well off the rack. I need some help with trousers.

I've searched the forum for this topic and I've learned that good pairings are flannel, cords, moleskin, twill and jeans.

Do you have any recommendations on where to shop for such pants? What stores offer a decent value? I'm looking for inexpensive, but decent quality in a slim fit.

Also, of the above types of pants, how would you rank them in terms of dressyness or formality? I think jeans would be most casual. What would be acceptable in office casual with my tweeds, shirt and tie?
    Are there dress cords, moleskin and twills? Where can I find a decent inexpensive pair?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. Murlsquirl

Hey Yogi, all of those are good choices to pair with a tweed jacket. What do you consider inexpensive? What's your price range?

6. Yogi15

Yogi15 Member

Well, the less I spend the better. I've come into a new job, assistant principal of an elementary school in a wealthy suburban district, and I've had to amass a whole new wardrobe. I have to add a lot of pieces right now, and I have two new babies at home, so I'm on a budget. I also know that sometimes you pay for what you get, so I'm open to spending more and buying fewer pieces. I'd say anywhere from free to $80, maybe something in the $100+ if it goes on sale. For example, I'm eyeing the banana Republic flannel pants right now and will grab a pair for $80 this weekend. I'm also buying a pair of the lands end twill cords in green. I'd love to spend less though so I can add some variety. Also, I'm paying $120-$160ish to have jackets taking in at the waist and shorten sleeves. I'm in a suburb of new York city. Is that a fair price? They also charge $20 for a pant hem. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

7. Emthigious

Emthigious Active Member

I've actually already posted this in the tailor's feedback topic, but I'm not specifically looking for tailor's feedback so I'll repost here. Sorry if that's not allowed, then feel free to remove.

A friend of mine is looking for some fit feedback. I have some thoughts of my own, as does he. But I'd like to hear what you think first :) Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the poor lighting.. All we could do at the time.

8. Murlsquirl

Congrats on the job. Lands End is a decent value and they should hold up for you pretty well. I can't really recommend anything cheaper than those.

That's a little steep for the jacket alterations, but you are in a pretty expensive area. The trouser hem job is about right. You can probably find a cheaper place, but if they do good work, $20 is fair.

9. Murlsquirl

Is that black? What's the suit for...work, special occasion, etc.? Fit doesn't look all that bad. Jacket a little short, but definitely not terrible. The rest is kind of hard to judge because of the lighting.

10. Emthigious

Emthigious Active Member

It's his wedding suit, but with the specific intent of being able to wear it to work afterwards. It's actually coffee brown. Really hard to get the color right on a picture. In real life it kinda looks like ground coffee.

11. Murlsquirl

Interesting. The suit looks pretty good.....whether or not he can pull off a brown suit at work is something only he will know. Congrants to him on the wedding.

12. Yogi15

Yogi15 Member

Thanks. I figured that it would be challenging to find much cheaper. How about between $50-$100 range? What is a reasonable price for jacket alterations? He does good work, but I suspect he is on the higher end for my area. But, I do live in one of the most expensive cities in the US. I have a ton of suits and jackets (15-20) that I inherited and want to get altered so I can wear them to work. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

13. Murlsquirl

I think Lands End is probably your best bet in that range.

I'm guessing in your area, that is pretty reasonable. If he does good work, it would be well worth the money, in my opinion.

14. ShoeFinance77

ShoeFinance77 Active Member

I'm shopping for an off the rack suit. If I didn't want to spend more than $100 without tailoring what are my best options? I just saw this suit at Jos A Bank on sale for $99. Is this a good deal or are there better options, in terms of brands, because obviously there are better quality suits? Is there a better choice at the $100 range than Jos A Banks?

Joseph Slim Fit 2-Button Wool/Cashmere Plain Front Suit

Updated lines with higher 2-button styling and side vents. Shorter coat length with tailored shoulders, narrower sleeve and narrower lapel. Higher armholes allow both a close fit and freedom of movement. Full copper-colored lining and piping at waistband. Plain front trouser sits lower on the waist with shortest rise and slimmest leg. Quarter-top pockets. Half-lined to the knee with unfinished bottoms for altering ease. Year-round weight. Dry Clean. Imported. 100% Wool/5% Cashmere.​

15. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, Shoe. I don't know if there is any other place where you can buy a suit for $100. Scouring eBay for a used suit is about the only other option.