• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

2 quick questions on Brioni suits. Is there a difference between a Brioni suit and a Brioni made for (Neiman Marcus, Harry Rosen, whomever)

Saw few that say Tailored in Italy by Brioni for.... but not sure if they are as good as straight Brioni ones.

Also, what is a fair price for a used Brioni suit. I know it depends on variety of things. Looked on ebay at sold listings and noticed that prices are from $100-$600 for used suit. Is that a fair range?

Thanks for the help

I don't know to be honest. I'm guessing the guys in the thrift thread could help out http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread

Patrick Sandy

Reaction score
Hi all, i am a new member here.

I am from Indonesia, and i recently purchase a black oxford shoes from local brand 'Mario Minardi'.
I don't quite understand about leather quality in shoes, something like corrected grain or full grain.
So i need some opinion and guidance about that. The price is around US$140 for this pair. All i know that it was goodyear welted and has a combination of leather and rubber soles.
Here is a quick look of the shoes.

BlondeOne

Reaction score
Hello,

Fairly new to Brooks Brothers.

Had to hem the dress within first wearing.

Plastic feel and look to materials of classic sack/shift dress with front pleat. It was on sale, marked from 228 to 68.40. I should have realized that it was going to wear poorly when I first laid eyes on the antiquated material, like from the 1960s.. The dress had no special appeal other than to be a background for accessories. I happen to deal in expensive homes and it cannot be worn again in good conscious because of the ruffing on the synthetic does not lye down on the material. It looks terrible in the daylight. It was a total rip off except for the very first wearing.

Has anyone else experienced this poor quality material? I am sending it back so they can see the shredding.

keeno

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new and was hoping to get your advice on dress shoes. I'd like to revamp my shoe situation as I feel it's pretty bleak. I need to replace my black captoe oxfords and after that I don't know what to do. My company is business professional for 9 months and business casual for the summer. I have a nice pair of loafers for summer. I really think I need a pair of dark brown oxfords to rotate with the suits. I was also thinking about a pair of dressier brown brogues. I feel like I can wear those with suits if necessary and rotate them in with business casual, blazers and trousers, etc. I was also thinking about monk straps here too, but not sure if I can pull those off.
Am I on the right track here or way off? Are the brown oxfords redundant if I get the brogues? Anything else I should consider?
Also, what is the rule on dark brown shoe? Can they be worn with anything other than black?
I realize these are probably silly questions, but I do appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, i am a new member here.

I am from Indonesia, and i recently purchase a black oxford shoes from local brand 'Mario Minardi'.
I don't quite understand about leather quality in shoes, something like corrected grain or full grain.
So i need some opinion and guidance about that. The price is around US$140 for this pair. All i know that it was goodyear welted and has a combination of leather and rubber soles.
Here is a quick look of the shoes.

Hey @Patrick Sandy , try asking here http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/2070

Hello everyone. I'm new and was hoping to get your advice on dress shoes. I'd like to revamp my shoe situation as I feel it's pretty bleak. I need to replace my black captoe oxfords and after that I don't know what to do. My company is business professional for 9 months and business casual for the summer. I have a nice pair of loafers for summer. I really think I need a pair of dark brown oxfords to rotate with the suits. I was also thinking about a pair of dressier brown brogues. I feel like I can wear those with suits if necessary and rotate them in with business casual, blazers and trousers, etc. I was also thinking about monk straps here too, but not sure if I can pull those off.
Am I on the right track here or way off? Are the brown oxfords redundant if I get the brogues? Anything else I should consider?
Also, what is the rule on dark brown shoe? Can they be worn with anything other than black?
I realize these are probably silly questions, but I do appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, @keeno . Sounds like the brown oxfords are a good idea. They can be worn with just about anything black oxfords can; except for black tie. After that, I would look into a short wing derby. Monk straps are nice too, but they do get a bit of attention. If you don't think they will be an issue, they are a great option.

keeno

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help. Quick question on the brown oxfords: do you recommend plain captoe?
Also, we just switched to business casual for the summer months and I really need to address that part of my wardrobe. Aside from a nice navy blazer and various color trousers, I really don't know what would be best to have next. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help. Quick question on the brown oxfords: do you recommend plain captoe?
Also, we just switched to business casual for the summer months and I really need to address that part of my wardrobe. Aside from a nice navy blazer and various color trousers, I really don't know what would be best to have next. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again!

I prefer brouged captoes, but plain are great for suits. Another blue jacket with a pattern would be a good choice after you have a proper navy blazer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads