• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

James Tweedle

Reaction score
Hello all.

New member here, and have a question :) I'm new to wearing a suit (I've only ever had a job where I can wear casual clothes, and never had many social occasions to wear a suit). I have a boxing evening I am attending for a friend, and I have bought an airforce blue sharskin suit.

Basically I'm trying to work out what shirt & tie combo would go best with it. I was thinking perhaps a pale blue shirt & red tie? would that work? Or is it better to go more simpler with a white shirt & a dark blue tie combo?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello all.

New member here, and have a question :) I'm new to wearing a suit (I've only ever had a job where I can wear casual clothes, and never had many social occasions to wear a suit). I have a boxing evening I am attending for a friend, and I have bought an airforce blue sharskin suit.

Basically I'm trying to work out what shirt & tie combo would go best with it. I was thinking perhaps a pale blue shirt & red tie? would that work? Or is it better to go more simpler with a white shirt & a dark blue tie combo?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, James. A light blue shirt and burgundy tie would be great, but not red. A brown tie and light blue shirt would also work.

vegasrealtor

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some quick advice on a suit I currently have to see if it is savable or if I should start shopping for a new one. I would say I bought it no more than 8 months ago and as you can see, it does not fit that great anymore. I have already spent about $150 getting alterations done.
The main issue is I have lost about 50 lbs since buying this suit. I am wondering if a tailor will be able to make it fit well for a reasonable price or if I should start looking for another blue suit. I really don't want a suit that doesn't hang right from having too much work done on it.
Another thing to mention is I went from a size 36 to right between a 30 and 32 waist so I haven't even tried on the pants to see that situation yet.

Sorry I couldn't get direct pictures to show up.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2702.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2707.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2704.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2708.jpg

James Tweedle

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, James. A light blue shirt and burgundy tie would be great, but not red. A brown tie and light blue shirt would also work.
Thanks for the feedback, I've been looking at pictures, and burgundy looks great with pale blue!

Do you think a burgundy bow tie would be out of the question??

derpman90

Reaction score
Hi - I have one shirt that fits me really well...and I have about five other shirts I'd like to have taken in to fit the same way...can I just give the tailor that one shirt and tell him to make the other shirts like it?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I've been looking at pictures, and burgundy looks great with pale blue!

Do you think a burgundy bow tie would be out of the question??

If that's your thing, sure.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi - I have one shirt that fits me really well...and I have about five other shirts I'd like to have taken in to fit the same way...can I just give the tailor that one shirt and tell him to make the other shirts like it?

Welcome to the forum, derp. It really depends on the tailor. Some will want to fit each one individually, while others will tell you they can record the measurements of the good one and alter the others accordingly. The best thing you can do is bring that shirt in with you and see how the tailor wants to do things. That way they can at least see the fit you are trying to achieve.

virtu

Reaction score
Hello all :)

New member and first post.
I am an international student abroad and to buy a suit jacket is being a challenge, but I think that I found the right size. I am 190cm tall and around 95kg, and, I am really sorry about the pictures, so here they are:

My question is: is the jacket in the right size? Shoulders are ok?

This is a Calvin Klein suit jacket on a modern fit, size 46R, bought at The Bay, in Canada, I tried different sizes such:
42L: too short
44S: too short
44R: too short on the length of the jacket
44L: was ok, but when I cross my arms it feels that the jacket is a little bit small in the shoulders
46S: too small on length of the jacket
46R: was ok, but it seems a little bit baggy on the torso and when I cross my arms it feels ok.
48S: too big in the shoulders.

So, I decided to bought the 46R but I am not sure if it is the correct size or if the 44L was the correct one.

Thanks for all help and sorry for the pictures.

Edit: direct link for bigger pcitures:
http://s23.postimg.org/lk9rradpn/20151123_235237_HDR.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/8qbpxy0a3/20151123_235244_HDR.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/xxmly73e3/20151123_235335_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

jphoenix17

Reaction score
Hey guys, need advice on shoes.

I don't need to wear a suit everyday and I am in an industry where horsebit loafer is more than formal enough so I currently have a pair of Gucci loafer and burgundy C&J Weybridge

I recently had two bespoke suits made at Huntsman. A medium gray worsted with alternating stripes (taupe and white) and a blue 60% mohair (a shade or two darker than the picture).

I would like to get a nice pair of shoes to do them justice. My budget is about GBP 1000 and I'd love to get a pair that go with both suits.

I don't currently have a pair of black oxford (I know... I know...) so that would be the safe choice. Since I am in a position where I can show off a bit though... :)

If you guys can suggest a few pairs, I'd really appreciate it. Currently I am thinking http://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/index.php/shoes/inverness-8323.html

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey guys, need advice on shoes.

I don't need to wear a suit everyday and I am in an industry where horsebit loafer is more than formal enough so I currently have a pair of Gucci loafer and burgundy C&J Weybridge.

I recently had two bespoke suits made at Huntsman. A medium gray worsted with alternating stripes (taupe and white) and a blue 60% mohair (a shade or two darker than the picture). 

I would like to get a nice pair of shoes to do them justice. My budget is about GBP 1000 and I'd love to get a pair that go with both suits.

I don't currently have a pair of black oxford (I know... I know...) so that would be the safe choice. Since I am in a position where I can show off a bit though... :)

If you guys can suggest a few pairs, I'd really appreciate it. Currently I am thinking  http://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/index.php/shoes/inverness-8323.html

Welcome to the forum, jp. The Inverness is a great shoe, but I think you would be better off with a dark brown. I think it would look better with that shade of blue and works great with grey. Plenty of good options from Edwatd Green within your budget.

jphoenix17

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree about dark brown probably being a better fit color wise. I am a bit suspicious about brown though since I've never had brown dress shoes... also my thinking is that the drastic contrast between gray/blue and black will bring out the brogue details.

What do you think about a more plain brown pair like http://www.johnlobb.com/us/philip-ii-1

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those Lobbs are great.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I know the answer already but thought I'd ask...I have a navy Glen Plaid Caruso suit. Smooth worsted fabric. Too formal to wear as an odd jacket even with the pattern?

jphoenix17

Reaction score
I think I know the answer already but thought I'd ask...I have a navy Glen Plaid Caruso suit. Smooth worsted fabric. Too formal to wear as an odd jacket even with the pattern?

Think it depends on the length and fit. My favorite sports jacket is very similar to yours but it's quite short and close fitting which dresses down nicely. A proper suit jacket with "normal" proportions is probably too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads