• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Opinion on Length

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I think the Thick as Thieves aesthetic is more geared toward slimmer chest sizes or slimmer guys in general. The max chest size they accommodate is 42 I think. Many on here disapprove of their too short jacket lenght and too skinny lapels.

Wow, after looking at their website it looks almost as if they do not go above a 40.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyhooks
Unfortunately, being a 41" on the dot and 5'8", it's not the easiest to find off the rack suits. Usually Canali fits me best but can be a little boxy at times.

Curious, but what does that have to do with being able to or not able to find an OTR suit that fits you generally well? No one can possibly expect perfection from a ready made garment, but they are not horrendous if you find a brand with a cut similar to your body type and in the right length. 5'8" is bordering on short, you can just buy regulars and lop an inch off without throwing off proportions too badly. Or buy a short and be more "modern" as that is the trend these days.

I don't exactly understand the 41" chest problem. There's a huge range of actual chest measurements depending on the maker that you can find a chest size to your liking. And if not, it's not like the chest is impossible to alter.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Just buy shorts.

I'm 5'9, and have found that a short in almost every brand looks better on me than a regular. (The very trendy brands can run a little too short for me).

At 5'8, it's probably not even close. I have no idea why you thought you could wear a long! My guess is that you're probably a 40S.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Just buy shorts.

I'm 5'9, and have found that a short in almost every brand looks better on me than a regular. (The very trendy brands can run a little too short for me).

At 5'8, it's probably not even close. I have no idea why you thought you could wear a long! My guess is that you're probably a 40S.

I am a 41R/S in US and a 52R/C euro depending on the cut. While shoulders usually fit into a 50, the problem lies in the armholes being too tight and the overall jacket not fitting due to my posture/body type as some of the more seasoned SF'ers have noticed on this thread and others.

I have to agree that the shorts are the way to go. The reason I was trying on the long is because it was a navy sports jacket with great fabric at great price and was wondering if I could shorten it. I knew it was too long off the bat, but didn;t realize that shortening it would drastically throw off the balance.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
[
Curious, but what does that have to do with being able to or not able to find an OTR suit that fits you generally well? No one can possibly expect perfection from a ready made garment, but they are not horrendous if you find a brand with a cut similar to your body type and in the right length.
I appreciate your curiosity. I left out that I am an athletic cut and not built like a straight line. The issue is with posture, height, and body type. It has to do with the fact that while my shoulders can usually fit in a 50, the armholes are tight and I have to go to a 52 which can sometimes end up being a little too big around the body and chest. No one said they were expecting perfection, and I stated that Canali fits me the best; although, it's nice to try other brands sometimes.

5'8" is bordering on short, you can just buy regulars and lop an inch off without throwing off proportions too badly. Or buy a short and be more "modern" as that is the trend these days.
I agree with your approach. For some reason I thought I could shorten this long but didn;t realize how terrible the balance would be thrown off.

I don't exactly understand the 41" chest problem. There's a huge range of actual chest measurements depending on the maker that you can find a chest size to your liking. And if not, it's not like the chest is impossible to alter
Refer to the top of this reply. Additionally, we are not discussing impossible vs. possible.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that is the first time I have ever heard someone on SF complain about tight arm holes. I now understand the like for Canali as they have horrendously low arm holes in my opinion, but objectively speaking, they are larger than other high end suiting such as Oxxford. Brooks Brothers has arm holes just as large.

I am afraid, I don't think I can help you much further. While I am a mesomorph as well, and about 2" shorter than you, I am not after the low arm holes. My search is for higher arm holes. I am afraid we are diametrically opposed in what we are after.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Well, that is the first time I have ever heard someone on SF complain about tight arm holes. I now understand the like for Canali as they have horrendously low arm holes in my opinion, but objectively speaking, they are larger than other high end suiting such as Oxxford. Brooks Brothers has arm holes just as large.

I am afraid, I don't think I can help you much further. While I am a mesomorph as well, and about 2" shorter than you, I am not after the low arm holes. My search is for higher arm holes. I am afraid we are diametrically opposed in what we are after.
There is a difference between high arm holes and tight armholes. I stated that with a 50 in the armholes are usually too tight, which causes my arm movement to be restricted and is why I go to a 52. AGain, the issue is with size, not armhole location. Personally, I enjoy HIGH armholes which aren't supposed to be tight if the jacket fits.

Again, this all circles back to why I am going to be looking into MTM.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
So, the arm holes in the other brands are tight horizontally, but not tight vertically?

I was trying to figure out your modus operandi but realized I've been wasting enough time replying to your critical comments which, on numerous occasions, are condescending in nature and devoid of any value whatsoever. Not sure if you enjoy these types of conversations, because I don't, or you truly are sincere in your questioning. I'm just letting you know the way you come off whether you care or not.

The arm holes are tight IN GENERAL in a size 50. But to answer your question more specifically, YES, the armholes are usually tight horizontally because of my build. Again, this relates to the size. Armholes are modified ovals, as you know, so it is an issue of circumference, not location.

Do me a favor, while we all have the right to post and reply, try to save your arguments for class.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Lol, go pump more 'roids. Your arms are clearly not big enough.
An expected comment from a self conscious individual that lacks the drive to follow a weight lifting regiment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads