• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a tuxedo for my wedding...

mdp0430

Reaction score
I'm getting married this coming August and decided that a tuxedo purchase was in order. Reading the threads on this site has been a huge help (e.g. I think I've ruled out the notch collar). I typically wear Brooks Brothers "Madison" suits in a 42R so I figured that I would start there. I didn't find anything at Brooks Brothers really inspiring. I've also looked at Nordstroms (Joseph Abboud, Hart Schaffner Marx), Ralph Lauren (the $1500 one) and the Hugo Boss "Grant."

I guess what I'm looking for is flat front or single pleat pants, and a jacket with either side or no vents, 1 or 2 button (I prefer 1 button), I guess I would prefer pockets without the flaps, and a peak lapel. Having said that, I don't wear bow ties so that leaves me with a tie. Is one even supposed to wear a tie with a peak lapel? If not, I guess I'm back to the notch collar...

Anyway, any ideas other than the above would greatly be appreciated. I really don't want to spend more than $1000 on the jacket and pants....

Thanks!

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be prepared for the crowd that will work to persuade you in the direction of a nice charcoal suit rather than a tux. Angelicboris andmafoofar have both done threads on their wedding suits iirc.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup, I've got a few charcoal suits already. I'm pretty set on the black tuxedo though... I figure if I'm going to shell out $1000 might as well be for something that I don't already have...

Any ideas where else to look or if MTM is even an option in the NYC area for under $1k?

Thanks again!

mdp0430

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Mr. Ned starts at $850; may want to shoot him an email to see whether that also applies to tuxes.

Thanks for the info Lonneker. I'll check them out the next time I'm in the City.

Also, I should add that I prefer the grosgrain contrast rather than the satin.

Anyone else have any ideas on where to try?

Thanks!

Bellison

Reaction score
What are your proportions? Stature? In other words, are you fat, skinny, average, muscular?

QUOTE=mdp0430;3008273]Thanks for the info Lonneker. I'll check them out the next time I'm in the City.

Thanks![/quote]

mdp0430

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
What are your proportions? Stature? In other words, are you fat, skinny, average, muscular?

QUOTE=mdp0430;3008273]Thanks for the info Lonneker. I'll check them out the next time I'm in the City.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Bellison, I guess I'm your average slightly over-weight 35 year old American... I'm 5'11", weigh 205 lbs. This almost always puts me in a 42R, especially in the Brooks Brothers Madison suits...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be a little lowbrow for your tastes, but JAB does offer serviceable, sartorially correct tuxedos at very modest cost if you play the sales right.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Phillyesq, thanks for the heads-up. I'll check out their site, seems like right now they're not offering exactly what I'm looking for, but I do have time on my side...

JLibourel, it's not that I necessarily lowbrow JosBank but I have yet to see them put out a quality product. I walk into their store and I try to like them (mostly because of their sales) but am always let down by their quality and leave empty handed. On the other hand, they did have a really nice camel hair overcoat this past season for like $300, but that's another thread...

Thanks guys, I guess if I had to make a purchase today I would end up with the Jos Abboud Nordstroms has on their site for $745. The problem is it's really close to a black suit that I already have and I really prefer the grosgrain to satin... The search continues...

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Are you a member of Gilt? They'll sometimes have very nice tuxedos at about 70% off retail. You can end up with a $3,000 tux for under a grand.

I'd check Bloomingdale's in the city, just to see what they have, but you may want to wait for their next round of sales. Otherwise, maybe a day at the outlets is in order?

I'm sort of in the same position, but for a friend's wedding, not mine. Either have my Jos. Bank tux tailored to fit properly or start over. This one is for June, so I have a little less time to wait for sales.

mdp0430

Reaction score
In order to provide closure to this topic: I went with the RL Polo tuxedo, grossgrain peak lapel, single button, side vented, single pleat pants, and a grossgrain bow tie. I looked awesome and am so glad I went with the bow tie. Pictures look great...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show us!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads