• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me elevate my professional wardrobe

letitdrape

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a 26-year-old lawyer specializing in M&A at a law firm. Our workplace culture tends to lean towards the standard, slim navy suits offered by stores like Suitsupply or similar options.

However, I have a passion for classical menswear and I'm eager to elevate my suit game. I'm encountering a bit of a challenge in finding a brand with suits that aligns with my specific preferences, which I've outlined below:
  1. Availability: Brands should be available in Europe.
  2. Budget: My budget ranges up to EUR 800.
  3. Color: I'm primarily interested in navy or navy herringbone suits.
  4. Lapels: I have a preference for wider lapels than what you'd typically find in stores like Suitsupply. While I prefer peak lapels, I'm also open to notch lapels.
  5. Shoulder Padding: Given my broader physique, I lean towards soft shoulders and am even considering pleated shoulders. I'd appreciate your opinion on the latter.
  6. Trousers: I prefer pleated trousers with side adjusters, a high rise, and a wider width (not too narrow in the leg opening). Ideally, the fabric should allow for a nice drape.
I've explored options from Cavour, but they don't seem to offer the option to purchase additional trousers, and I couldn't find blazers that perfectly complement their Mod 3 trousers.

I would greatly appreciate any brand recommendations or solutions that align with the criteria I've outlined. Moreover, any general tips or advice are very welcome.

In addition to the suit, I'm also on the lookout for a brand that offers white or light pink shirts with Italian soft pointed collars. I'm hoping to stay within a budget of EUR 100-150 for these shirts.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in helping me step up my sartorial game.

letitdrape

Reaction score
Natalino for suits and shirts. Anglo-Italian and Drakes for shirts.
Thanks a lot. Just checked them out. Natalino looks nice! I will consider them.

As for shirts, I cannot find pointed shirts with italian soft collar. Do you remember name of the models? And also, those brands are a bit above my budget; do you have some cheaper alternatives?

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I think the above members gave great advice regarding brands. I can give my own advice and general tips, from my own personal taste and style that I've developed over the years. My favorite brands are Brioni, Kiton, and Tom Ford depending on what I'm in the mood for (Roman cut (Brioni) with strong shoulders vs Neapolitan (Kiton) with relaxed shoulders vs the signature Tom Ford look of Atticus/Shelton/Windsor cut suits). But they are not very cost friendly.

For business, I vastly prefer navy or dark gray suits, in stripes, solids, or subtle checks. If I could wear one look for the rest of my life, however, it would for sure be a solid Navy suit. There's just something very elegant and commanding about a solid Navy suit.

It's best to wear a double vented or single vented suit. Both are fine imo though double vented is the most popular look now and what I prefer.

I find that solid white, solid light blue, or conservative blue striped shirts are the best for modern business. Anything else tends to look too try hard. Gray, dark blue, etc. just don't look right. And the 3 shirt styles I mentioned are the most versatile when it comes to matching with ties. I also like blue shirts with contrast white cuffs and collars but these are a little more of a bold statement for sure and some find them harder to pull off. If you are older, this style is easier to wear without looking like a Gordon Gekko wannabe.

When it comes to ties - ties come very much down to personal taste. However, my own preference is solids, striped, and polka dots/pin dots. Generally any width between 2.75" and 3.75" is the best. Anything smaller or bigger runs the risk of looking extremely skinny or you are wearing a wide tie from Grandpa's closet. Personally, I never wear anything skinnier than 3".

My favorite tie brands are Brioni, Italo Ferretti, Stefano Ricci, Zilli, Drakes, Borrelli, Isaia, Kiton.

For shoes - black or very dark brown cap toe oxfords or wingtips. I very rarely find myself wearing anything else. I know that a lot of members here might view black as the most austere and boring choice, but nothing looks better with a navy suit than black shoes. It's a very, very rare day when I feel like wearing anything other than black shoes with a suit.

A lot of people when they start to build their wardrobe fall for the trap of thinking the louder the better. I see guys get overly excited and start wearing a kinds of loud pocket squares, floral ties, and colorful sportscoats with bright Patina shoes. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, there is something to be said for a dark solid navy suit with a freshly pressed white shirt, black oxford shoes, and a classic tie. It's just a classic look that will never go away. There's a reason every president dresses like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads