• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nantucket Red Chinos: Pairings?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of nantucket red (as in stop-sign red) chinos from Incotex that fit me nicely, but I can't figure out how to wear them without looking like a stop-light myself.

Some searching reveals that they go well with navy and brown shoes/belt. Most seem to agree they look terrible until reasonably faded, which won't happen quickly in Chicago. Any recommendations or suggestions? Thank you.

titojackson

Reaction score
I was thinking about picking up the Hickey ones in the Buying and Selling forum until I realized that I too had no idea what goes with them especially in their red state.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always seen them worn with topsiders, white or blue sneakers or Bass penny loafers, blue or white oxford bd shirt, blue blazer or navy sweater.

And, yes, they do look better faded. Like jeans, they then have a story.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about this. I am a little concerned that with white bucks, a white web belt, navy, say, linen shirt, I will look like a vertical French flag. And I don't particularly like the French.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about a light tan or buff?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now, my favorite pairing for (faded) Nantucket reds is a white or blue OCBD and a heather/oatmeal colored v-neck sweater. Sperrys or Purcells.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Biscione

Reaction score
A navy overcoat or sport jacket.

A lighter brown cashmere sweater.

Brown shoes of almost any kind. Cognac should look very nice. Suede also would look nice.

(That's based upon what I've done with a pair of red cords. Pulling off brightly coloured trousers is a skill, but when it's done well it looks great.)

Northeastern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I thought about this. I am a little concerned that with white bucks, a white web belt, navy, say, linen shirt, I will look like a vertical French flag. And I don't particularly like the French.

I'm now a little concerned about one of my favorite summer outfits...I never thought of it that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads