My Grenson is fading.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Oct 28, 2004.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I have Grenson Stowe in conac (spell). I am currently using neutral color shoe cream to polish. I noticed that the color is fading, especially the dark part. If I use dark brown shoe cream to polish the shoes, what kind of effect will it have to the shoes?

I have read color conversion written by montecristo, I do not want my shoes to be that dark. All I want is prevent it from fading its natural color.

2. pitonboy

pitonboy Well-Known Member

Why not get either a Kiwi Tan or Middle Tan or a meltonian Cognac shoe cream? I think either would do a good job (I would use both).

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You might try the Meltonian cognac cream as suggested. I think a brown wax polish, perhaps one to the lighter side might be a wise choice. That will help maintain some brown without overly darkening. Of course, over time brown leather will darken naturally with polishing.

4. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Fading? Is the finish flaking? How old are they?

5. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

This might be a job for a top-notch shoe shine service or cobbler. Ask around in the Toronto equivalent of Wall Street. Some captain of industry should be able to recommend a qualified professional. (Going to be in Frisco? There's a great one in the Russ Building, with branches elsewhere in the Montgomery Street vicinity.)