• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music for altered states.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Drone, Sludge, Nu-Gaze or Folk Metal: Boris, Earth, Jesu, Sunn, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc. Ambient or Lush Techno: Aphex Twin (SAW in particular), Boards of Canada, The Field, etc. Ambient, Minimalist Electonic: Keith Fullerton Whitman, Stars of the Lid, Tim Hecker, etc. Shoegaze: A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Deerhunter, MBV, etc. Sun-kissed pop/Animal pop/weird ****: Animal Collective, The Books, Lightning Bolt, Pet Sounds Tellingly enough, this is pretty much all I listen to now, or music that is derivative of it.
blush.gif

Man this is good ****. where did all the posters with good musical taste go? Most recent Tim Hecker is pretty damn perfect for altered states. Om might be my favorite go-to though....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Man this is good ****. where did all the posters with good musical taste go?

Most recent Tim Hecker is pretty damn perfect for altered states.

Om might be my favorite go-to though....

I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it.

I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am a sucker for anything with heavy reverb.

clarity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it.

I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.

Bibio, Wisp. have fun.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it. I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.
:thumbsup: I guess My Bloody Valentine is a pretty obvious choice. Tricky was sort of a trip hop guy, so that's worth a listen for any Massive Attack fan. I also think you'd like the Books a lot. Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and some of the other IDM bands mentioned in this thread are great if you like BOC.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarity
Bibio, Wisp. have fun.

Originally Posted by Magician
:thumbsup:

I guess My Bloody Valentine is a pretty obvious choice. Tricky was sort of a trip hop guy, so that's worth a listen for any Massive Attack fan.

I also think you'd like the Books a lot. Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and some of the other IDM bands mentioned in this thread are great if you like BOC.

Thansk for the recs. I've got some Aphex already. I've tried Tricky. There's the occasional song that fits into my listening, but on the whole, a bit too hip hopish for my chill listening pleasure. I'll check out those other bands. It's hard to get a CD that has enough songs, that sustains a certain tone/mood, to buy the whole disc. It's what I like about iTunes the most, just buying a song here or there.

clarity

Reaction score
Btw good source for Wisp. This is his own website so don't fret. The only thing you won't find are his latest releases with Rephlex(the label run by Aphex Twin). Katabatic is my personal fav.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FSOL ISDN is a ******* great album. Lifeforms too.

Originally Posted by clarity
IF you can find it.
http://www.discogs.com/Wagon-Christ-...e/master/32177

FSOL: ISDN, Lifeforms, Lifeforms EP, Cascade EP, Dead Cities, My Kingdom EP. knock yourself out, being in an altered state certainly not required...the music takes you there by itself.

lol@ guy mentioning tuss do you want people to go crazy?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try some Autechre. Incunabula and Tri Repetae are phenomenal albums by them. Also, check out Mogwai. Not IDM, but still very good.
Thansk for the recs. I've got some Aphex already. I've tried Tricky. There's the occasional song that fits into my listening, but on the whole, a bit too hip hopish for my chill listening pleasure. I'll check out those other bands. It's hard to get a CD that has enough songs, that sustains a certain tone/mood, to buy the whole disc. It's what I like about iTunes the most, just buying a song here or there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads