1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Music for altered states.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Edward Appleby, Jun 26, 2007.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

A friend once told me that the best trip he ever had was at a Meat Beat Manifesto show. Actually it was a triple bill with Supreme Love Gods, MBM, and 808state.

He can't get out of his head MBM's performance of "Circles" (from Satyricon).

Or that he was convinced he saw vampires at the show. He said that was really weird.

And he cries nearly every day thinking about how he was so messed up that when 808state came on, he and his friend left the show because the "in crowd" showed up and ruined the vibe. While they were on the tour supporting Gorgeous, which is generally not considered their best album, it does contain any number of gems such as Stormin' Norman, Timb Bomb, and One in Ten which would have sounded great filtered through all of that acid.

That's what he tells me anyway.

b

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Discussing music for altered states without a distinction between the how and why? Are we now lumping all the tweakers and stoners together?

It's probably too Old Skool Columbian Gold for this crowd but besides being a great album, the movie reveals the meaning of life if you put the right mushrooms on your pizza.

[​IMG]

From the moment I opened this thread I was wondering how long it would be before one of us old guys mentioned Pink Floyd. It had a pseudo-Godwin's Law inevitability. Personally -- based on the second-hand reports I've heard about the experience of being in one of those "altered states" -- I'd put "Obscured By Clouds" first, and perhaps also "Meddle" and "Animals" before "The Wall". But to each his own.

A case could also be made for the great Roky Erickson tribute Album, "The Pyramid Meets The Eye", or some of Roky's own stuff.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

To make this post non-useless, I give you "My White Bicycle" by Tomorrow:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vxk5dc

[​IMG]

No, you don't.

4. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

loop "collision" off of fade out or this record by them... [​IMG] I saw them w/nirvana, pre nevermind, at the 9:30 club in DC. Fun show. also [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

From the moment I opened this thread I was wondering how long it would be before one of us old guys mentioned Pink Floyd. It had a pseudo-Godwin's Law inevitability. Personally -- based on the second-hand reports I've heard about the experience of being in one of those "altered states" -- I'd put "Obscured By Clouds" first, and perhaps also "Meddle" and "Animals" before "The Wall". But to each his own.

A case could also be made for the great Roky Erickson tribute Album, "The Pyramid Meets The Eye", or some of Roky's own stuff.

As an old guy you should not be participating in a thread that indirectly encourages drug use. I'm very disappointed!

JUST SAY NO!

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

+1. From a band that made a record 'Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To'. How could you go wrong? 'Think I'm In Love' is self-deflation at its best.

Yeah, I'm resurrecting my own thread. Why? Because, a. I can and b. fuck you.

"Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"- Spiritualized
    Wow.

7. nioh

nioh Senior member

Altered states calls for some intense IDM; Autechre and Venetian Snares or psy such as Schpongle and Wizzy Noise. Mellowing out to Biosphere, Eluvium and Harold Budd.

So they tell me anyway.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

This is sort of odd, but I have to say that The Reminder is going down pretty smooth right now.

[​IMG]

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Good lord children. Who needs drugs to experience music?

Everything's Gone Green - new order
    Sweetness and Light - Lush

10. mongo615

mongo615 Senior member

Kraftwerk--Radio-Activity or The Man Machine

11. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

Animals and Obscured by Clouds are both great albums, but The Wall's availability as a movie makes for a truly mind-blowing experience. I had listened to the album dozens of times, but never appreciated its value as a commentary on the human experience until I watched the movie in an altered state. The things I felt while watching it were incredible, particularly because the substance I was on was fairly mild.

On somewhat of a side note, the scene with the marching hammers left me sitting in the fetal position rocking back and forth. I still get seriously bad vibes from that scene (and the song that was playing during it) every time I see/hear them.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

New Animal Collective seems pretty good on my first listen:

[​IMG]

13. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

I give you "Death Fuck" by THE TUSS:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r365mn

AKA - Aphex Twin. Good shit. Also recommend his track "synthacon 9."

Best electronic music ever released. Simply brilliant.

More:
    Arovane
    Squarepusher
    Wagon Christ
    Plaid

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

M83: Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts.

Placebo: Meds

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Achillea ==> The Nine Wonders (very Enigma'ish but less "fuck me" and more rhythmic )

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just got Zero 7 this weekend. Very nice.

17. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Drone, Sludge, Nu-Gaze or Folk Metal: Boris, Earth, Jesu, Sunn, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc. Ambient or Lush Techno: Aphex Twin (SAW in particular), Boards of Canada, The Field, etc. Ambient, Minimalist Electonic: Keith Fullerton Whitman, Stars of the Lid, Tim Hecker, etc. Shoegaze: A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Deerhunter, MBV, etc. Sun-kissed pop/Animal pop/weird shit: Animal Collective, The Books, Lightning Bolt, Pet Sounds Tellingly enough, this is pretty much all I listen to now, or music that is derivative of it. [​IMG]
    Man this is good shit. where did all the posters with good musical taste go? Most recent Tim Hecker is pretty damn perfect for altered states. Om might be my favorite go-to though....

18. clarity

clarity Senior member

IF you can find it. http://www.discogs.com/Wagon-Christ-...e/master/32177 FSOL: ISDN, Lifeforms, Lifeforms EP, Cascade EP, Dead Cities, My Kingdom EP. knock yourself out, being in an altered state certainly not required...the music takes you there by itself. lol@ guy mentioning tuss do you want people to go crazy?

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Man this is good shit. where did all the posters with good musical taste go?

Most recent Tim Hecker is pretty damn perfect for altered states.

Om might be my favorite go-to though....

I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it.

I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I am a sucker for anything with heavy reverb.