1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Music for altered states.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Edward Appleby, Jun 26, 2007.

1. clarity

clarity Senior member

I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it.

I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.

Bibio, Wisp. have fun.

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it. I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.
    :thumbsup: I guess My Bloody Valentine is a pretty obvious choice. Tricky was sort of a trip hop guy, so that's worth a listen for any Massive Attack fan. I also think you'd like the Books a lot. Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and some of the other IDM bands mentioned in this thread are great if you like BOC.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Good country is great in the best altered state of all--drunkenness.

4. clarity

clarity Senior member

I find it hard to deny this.

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

^ +2

Nothing like Townes and whiskey.

6. why

why Senior member

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I like Canned Heat when wasted. Trippy blues.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Bibio, Wisp. have fun.

:thumbsup:

I guess My Bloody Valentine is a pretty obvious choice. Tricky was sort of a trip hop guy, so that's worth a listen for any Massive Attack fan.

I also think you'd like the Books a lot. Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and some of the other IDM bands mentioned in this thread are great if you like BOC.

Thansk for the recs. I've got some Aphex already. I've tried Tricky. There's the occasional song that fits into my listening, but on the whole, a bit too hip hopish for my chill listening pleasure. I'll check out those other bands. It's hard to get a CD that has enough songs, that sustains a certain tone/mood, to buy the whole disc. It's what I like about iTunes the most, just buying a song here or there.

9. clarity

clarity Senior member

Btw good source for Wisp. This is his own website so don't fret. The only thing you won't find are his latest releases with Rephlex(the label run by Aphex Twin). Katabatic is my personal fav.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

FSOL ISDN is a fucking great album. Lifeforms too.

IF you can find it.
    http://www.discogs.com/Wagon-Christ-...e/master/32177

FSOL: ISDN, Lifeforms, Lifeforms EP, Cascade EP, Dead Cities, My Kingdom EP. knock yourself out, being in an altered state certainly not required...the music takes you there by itself.

lol@ guy mentioning tuss do you want people to go crazy?

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

Try some Autechre. Incunabula and Tri Repetae are phenomenal albums by them. Also, check out Mogwai. Not IDM, but still very good.
    Thansk for the recs. I've got some Aphex already. I've tried Tricky. There's the occasional song that fits into my listening, but on the whole, a bit too hip hopish for my chill listening pleasure. I'll check out those other bands. It's hard to get a CD that has enough songs, that sustains a certain tone/mood, to buy the whole disc. It's what I like about iTunes the most, just buying a song here or there.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Pio:

K & D, Thievery Corporation.

1 person likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pio:

K & D, Thievery Corporation.

Thanks. Have a couple TC, will go check K & D.

1 person likes this.
  14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Any of the Eno "ambient" albums like 'Music for Airports'

Canadian Electronic Ensemble

+1 on Faust.

15. alovesupreme

alovesupreme Member

A few more IDM :

Metamatics « from death to passwords... »
    Nautilis « are you an axolotl »
    Murcof « utopia » (ambient)
    Flying Lotus « los angeles »
    Machine Drum « now you know »
    Daedelus « exquisite corpse »

16. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

LSD March
    [​IMG]

Acid Mothers Temple
    [​IMG]

17. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

The Fall, Wire, 808 State, New Order, Martin Denny, Bjork, Kraftwerk, Phuture (Acid Tracks), Mf Figer (Washing Machine), The Orb, X-101, Coldcut, Can, Plug, Plaid, Autechre, George Clinton, Global Communication, Mantronix, Newcleus, Planet Patrol, + A big azz hit of MDMA.[​IMG]

18. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I thought it was time to revive this thread. I almost always find something I'll like in it.

I'm always looking for Boards, Massive Attack, Portishead type stuff, so post 'em if you got 'em.

try Morcheeba's Big Calm:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

When Sasha does mellow, he's amazing. Check out his Fundacion album.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Necrobump.

Amethsytium. Their Emblem CD.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Just landed.

Can't wait to explore this thread's goodies once I get home :)