• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, now I think I might want a Hawk GT (although they seem pretty expensive compared to a SV650 because of the rarity)

Is my 6'2 ass going to fit on it? the sv650 (naked) is a bigger bike, but I don't feel like I actually need the extra power and I am guessing the Hawk might be easier to work on and a little more elegant (I *hate* the sv650's parts-bin swingarm). Fuel injection might be nice, but I can deal with carbs on a reliable bike.

There is this one for sale in Milwaukee for a price that seems low (but its got 34k miles). There is a similar one for the same price in Rockford but the amount of rust on the exhaust and some of the mods scare me.

This one on ebay looks great, but who knows if the auction will finish high (though it may not be the first time he has listed it since the text refers to starting the auction at $4k). Its quite a hike down there so I wouldn't be able to see it soon...and that easily takes you into the price range of a fuel-injected and maybe-ABS sv650

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I think I might want a Hawk GT (although they seem pretty expensive compared to a SV650 because of the rarity)

Is my 6'2 ass going to fit on it? the sv650 (naked) is a bigger bike, but I don't feel like I actually need the extra power and I am guessing the Hawk might be easier to work on and a little more elegant (I *hate* the sv650's parts-bin swingarm). Fuel injection might be nice, but I can deal with carbs on a reliable bike.

There is this one for sale in Milwaukee for a price that seems low (but its got 34k miles). There is a similar one for the same price in Rockford but the amount of rust on the exhaust and some of the mods scare me.

This one on ebay looks great, but who knows if the auction will finish high (though it may not be the first time he has listed it since the text refers to starting the auction at $4k). Its quite a hike down there so I wouldn't be able to see it soon...and that easily takes you into the price range of a fuel-injected and maybe-ABS sv650

$2k for a 24 year old bike? That being said there are a lot of mids you can do. You can swap out wheels and forks from a CBR600 F2 to get dual disks up front and I believe the rear wheel from a early 90s VFR is a direct swap as well. I remember people used to complain about the exhaust almost hiding the fact it had a single sided swingarm so there were a lot of aftermarket pipes to be had. I'd go for the one in South Milwaukee because it has less mods plus it comes with the stock stubby exhaust.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about scooters, anyone?

My drive to work is 2 miles; there's usually not even time to warm-up enough to push the choke all the way in on the Buell by the time I get to work, and it's also a pain to get out of my garage and ride when I'm half asleep, especially given I'm short.

I tried riding my bicycle a few times, but that just turns me in to a sweaty mess.

I thought a scooter might be a fun and economical way to commute to work. But, seems like any make scooter that isn't some random Chinese brand is +$2k, though, which is just way too much for what it is IMO.

Maybe I just need one of those small 125cc bikes.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My drive to work is 2 miles; there's usually not even time to warm-up enough to push the choke all the way in on the Buell by the time I get to work, and it's also a pain to get out of my garage and ride when I'm half asleep, especially given I'm short.

I tried riding my bicycle a few times, but that just turns me in to a sweaty mess.

I thought a scooter might be a fun and economical way to commute to work. But, seems like any make scooter that isn't some random Chinese brand is +$2k, though, which is just way too much for what it is IMO.

I have a scooter (Aprilia Scarabeo) that I use to get me to and from work and it's great. 185cc engine, 16" wheels and I filled up every 2 weeks for less than $10. I was tempted about selling it and just riding my motorcycle to work but then realized that it's so much easier for carrying my workbag and lunch, etc instead of a backpack. It also doesn't mess up my suits or shoes.

I paid around $1700 used for mine - I'm sure you can find one for a better price in the US.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No offense bro, but if a 2 mile bike ride turns you into a sweaty mess, you've got bigger problems.

Even so, I ride my bike a lot, and I find that if its been more than a few weeks since I have done any real riding, it takes a lot more perceived effort to push the pedals...once I get used to it again, it is easy going. Maybe try riding the bike for a whole week and see how you feel at the end. 2 miles at an easy pace should be no problem.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a scooter (Aprilia Scarabeo) that I use to get me to and from work and it's great. 185cc engine, 16" wheels and I filled up every 2 weeks for less than $10. I was tempted about selling it and just riding my motorcycle to work but then realized that it's so much easier for carrying my workbag and lunch, etc instead of a backpack. It also doesn't mess up my suits or shoes.

I paid around $1700 used for mine - I'm sure you can find one for a better price in the US.

Sounds sweet man; seems ideal.

No offense bro, but if a 2 mile bike ride turns you into a sweaty mess, you've got bigger problems.

Even so, I ride my bike a lot, and I find that if its been more than a few weeks since I have done any real riding, it takes a lot more perceived effort to push the pedals...once I get used to it again, it is easy going. Maybe try riding the bike for a whole week and see how you feel at the end. 2 miles at an easy pace should be no problem.

I sweat just sitting at my desk. I am always warm. I rode my bicycle every day in college as my primary means of transportation. It would be sub-freezing temperatures and I'd have a light hoodie and basketball shorts on, and I'd still be a mess by the time I got to class. I have no patience for lolly-gagging on a bicycle. I am far from a wheezing fat slob. I sweat very easily, period. High metabolism + muscle mass insulation.

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score

I LOVE the Hawk GT - it was my dream bike in the late 80s, and I don't think I'd ever sell mine, but I wouldn't pay the crazy money I see people ask for them on eBay. A couple have gone for over $4k recently - unless you have some nostalgic connection, there are better, newer bikes to be had.

As far as fit, swing by www.cycle-ergo.com and put in your stats to see. Looks to me as if the SV650 and NT650 would have the same fit for you.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the downsides of running dual-sport tires on the street? Like what are the tradeoffs vs. normal road tires?

I'm inspired...

IMG_1121.jpg

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lousy traction that will leave you on your ass if you ride it like anything other than an old lady. I don't get this trend that I've been seeing a lot lately. Who would want to put big ass knobby dirt tires on a street bike? I think this trend is more about people who are more concerned about the aesthetic rather than the performance or even the safety of the bike. I think people who do this are more dilettantes than motorcyclists.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riding at lunch today some pedestrian started jumping up and down to notify me a cop was ahead.
fing02[1].gif
I guess he thought I was more likely to do something illegal on a bike than had I been in a cage, LOL.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the downsides of running dual-sport tires on the street? Like what are the tradeoffs vs. normal road tires?

I'm inspired...

IMG_1121.jpg

Gawd that's a good looking bike

Lousy traction that will leave you on your ass if you ride it like anything other than an old lady. I don't get this trend that I've been seeing a lot lately. Who would want to put big ass knobby dirt tires on a street bike? I think this trend is more about people who are more concerned about the aesthetic rather than the performance or even the safety of the bike. I think people who do this are more dilettantes than motorcyclists.

It would be cool if you lived somewhere with a lot of dirt or gravel roads...maybe even cobblestones if you lived in an old city. It's a good look but yeah it is quickly becoming the latest Starbucks poseur look.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gawd that's a good looking bike

It would be cool if you lived somewhere with a lot of dirt or gravel roads...maybe even cobblestones if you lived in an old city.  It's a good look but yeah it is quickly becoming the latest Starbucks poseur look.

i don't know what a bike like that is supposed to do besides be posed with...

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like riding fire roads, dirt trails, cutting across pastures with an occasional on road riding it is fine. You're in Brooklyn so not so fine.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bike styling is mostly about posing anyway.

Examples:

Plastic body work on sportbikes. It serves no purpose except to give the look of a race bike.

Big BMW GS bikes with knobbies. Please take your big adventure bike with saddlebags offroad into areas where the knobbies are actually needed. BTW, the saddlebags are there so the bike can't actually fall flat. You will need that advantage when you try to pick up that 600+ pound beast.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bike styling is mostly about posing anyway.

Examples:

Plastic body work on sportbikes. It serves no purpose except to give the look of a race bike.

Survey says

family-feud-3-strikes_medium.jpg

Anyone who rides over 55 mph (virtually everyone) and anyone who rides distance will disagree with you. Vehemently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads