• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thomas Auer

Reaction score
To me, there really are no important handwork passages on a shirt, at least construction wise. Most explanation on why this or that hand passage makes this or that difference are highly overblown,I feel. Maybe slip stitching the armhole makes for a slightly cleaner look, but overall I think it's mostly just down to preference. I still make most of my own shirts by hand, only because I like the look and the details.

BomTrady

Reaction score
To me, there really are no important handwork passages on a shirt, at least construction wise. Most explanation on why this or that hand passage makes this or that difference are highly overblown,I feel. Maybe slip stitching the armhole makes for a slightly cleaner look, but overall I think it's mostly just down to preference. I still make most of my own shirts by hand, only because I like the look and the details.
@Thomas Auer I always notice how the cuff is inserted at the wrist placket by hand giving the cuff a leaner look and finishing.

That is, a nice handmade shirt will have no folds and no visible stitching where the sleeve is inserted by hand at the cuff, almost like a spalla camicia shoulder and most machine-made shirts will have two or three big folds and circular stitching. I notice it on the shirts of other gentlemen as well, but yes, maybe this is just something I enjoy as a self-admitted sartorial nerd. Is this not something you do when making your shirts or is this just an Italian thing?

Thomas Auer

Reaction score
@Thomas Auer I always notice how the cuff is inserted at the wrist placket by hand giving the cuff a leaner look and finishing.

That is, a nice handmade shirt will have no folds and no visible stitching where the sleeve is inserted by hand at the cuff, almost like a spalla camicia shoulder and most machine-made shirts will have two or three big folds and circular stitching. I notice it on the shirts of other gentlemen as well, but yes, maybe this is just something I enjoy as a self-admitted sartorial nerd. Is this not something you do when making your shirts or is this just an Italian thing?
Attaching the cuff per Hand really does have a great look to it. There are even some makers who do the slip stitch on the outside, meaning you see the hand stitch (usually it's the other way round so you habe no visible stitching on the right side of attachment). As for the folds, in general, every shirt will have them since the lenght of the sleeve has to be larger than that of the cuff (otherwise it will be way to tight). But you can either do it via larger folds or you can gather the excess evenly. The latter is often seen on neapolitan shirts but it's not an exclusively Italian thing. Even Turnbull & Asser does a gathered cuff. Also, you can do the gathering by machine as well, which to me is even more uniform than doing it by hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads