• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most drinkable cheap booze in your opinion?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Ain't nothin wrong with serving some cheap stuff, but 4 handles for 35 people is gonna make you look cheap. lol. That's like 9 people on each bottle? I have a couple friends who I could probably polish a handle off with in short time, as a trio. I'd maybe go to 5 or 6 handles and be ready to re-up when supplies dwindle. Or, skip all that, and just get a keg.

Originally Posted by Kique
Same thing as I was going to say. 4 handles for 35 people is about 4 shots per person. Better off just getting a keg, charging people $5 a cup, and using the profit to buy hard stuff for when the keg is done.

I'm sitting on way too much cheap, nasty beer to go along with that. I figured the liquor was just the coup de grace.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
sobieski vodka

- 8 bucks for a fifth
- goes down easy; makes a decent mixer
- can be found at most grocery stores / 7-11s
- recipient of countless gold medals / awards of dubious credibility

Finally, some love for Sobieski. I am no great lover of vodka, but this stuff is very good to my palate, has garnered great reviews, and is pretty much as cheap as it gets.

nathanKent

Reaction score
Gordon's gin + a bottle of cranberry juice = quality drunk for a week for about $15. Hard to beat that.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's sentimentality on my part, but whenever I buy a large amount of Lone Star beer for cheap, it really satisfies me. But if I pay the 7 bucks a six pack that retailers have somehow decided it's worth, it tastes terrible. Thankfully, I generally have the sense not to do that.

EmJay

Reaction score
I'll tack on the following two to the list:

- Famous Grouse scotch. I see a handle of this stuff go for $25 regularly, and always keep one around at my place. I have a couple dozen bottles of scotch, and enjoy this one as much as many others. Great value imho. Not extremely cheap, but cheaper than the Jim Beam Black i've seen mentioned a couple of times.

- Kirkland Signature Vodka. Can't believe this guy hasn't been mentioned yet. Ok, $30 for a handle probably isn't cheap (and that's probably why), but the stuff compares favorably to vodkas that cost loads more for the same quantity. That's solid value for a great vodka. The aforementioned Sobieski is also pretty good.

tundrafour

Reaction score
I once drank a bottle of Budweiser at a baseball game and was pleasantly surprised. Although, in that context, it wasn't cheap; it was about as much as a six-pack of decent beer. I also don't mind Seagram's vodka.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I don't think there is a floor for the level of liquor I'll drink. I think the strict standards for premium liquor is one of the most overrated concepts to ever catch on.

tc6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathanKent
Gordon's gin + a bottle of cranberry juice = quality drunk for a week for about $15. Hard to beat that.

Agreed.

Cheap liquor usually messes you up with fewer drinks so it's economical in that sense too.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I don't there is a floor for the level of liquor I'll drink. I think the strict standards for premium liquor is one of the most overrated concepts to ever catch on.

Well, I would say there are good reasons not to drink the stuff in the plastic bottle, but at the same time, I don't really think anyone can tell the difference between 10 year old scotch and 18 year old.

nathanKent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tc6
Agreed.

Cheap liquor usually messes you up with fewer drinks so it's economical in that sense too.

Yep.

I've never tried this, but I've seen it done. Apparently you can take a cheap bottle of vodka and run it through a normal water filter a few times, and the end result is something much more drinkable. I don't know how much more economical that turns out to be after you figure in the cost of the filters, but it's a thought.

tc6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathanKent
Yep.

I've never tried this, but I've seen it done. Apparently you can take a cheap bottle of vodka and run it through a normal water filter a few times, and the end result is something much more drinkable. I don't know how much more economical that turns out to be after you figure in the cost of the filters, but it's a thought.

If I was doing the experimenting, the vodka would never make it to the filters
laugh.gif

I've had some friends try this and also watched it on TV. My friends said it worked, but they were probably plastered a few shots in. The TV proved it wrong. I think it was Mystery Busters or something.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Well, I would say there are good reasons not to drink the stuff in the plastic bottle, but at the same time, I don't really think anyone can tell the difference between 10 year old scotch and 18 year old.
I can. I've done it blind (well, 12 and 18 blind, Macallan didn't make a standard 10yo when I did it). I can also tell the 18 from the 25 blind. But then again I drink because I very greatly enjoy the sensory experience of my spirits. I can also tell all of Diageo's Classic Malts (that is, scotch from exemplar whiskies from different regions) apart blind. But if anyone can't tell the differenece between, say, Talisker and Dalwhinnie, they should probably just stick to Banker's Club. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads