• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artigas

Reaction score
Speaking of departing from trad rules:

C8FCE324-D701-47A5-B233-B47DA224F691.jpeg

This Polo Ralph Lauren jacket, purchased last year, has great natural shoulders and is 3-roll-2, but it’s also double-vented and has front darts. It might not be authentically trad but I think it’s definitely in the spirit of things.

I happen to like it a lot more than my J. Press madras jacket, which checks more trad boxes, but due to its stronger shoulders, presents a less tradly silhouette.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think that jacket would have been out of place in the so called heyday. Yes, some college kids obsessed over little details like hook vents but as far as I can tell, and especially as you get farther from the Northeast, there was a huge amount of variation. Some even wore *gasp* pleated chinos!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that jacket would have been out of place in the so called heyday. Yes, some college kids obsessed over little details like hook vents but as far as I can tell, and especially as you get farther from the Northeast, there was a huge amount of variation. Some even wore *gasp* pleated chinos!
Do you think people in what you call the heyday really did obsess over such details or did they just wear what was the trend on sale in their local emporiums at that time and it’s only revisionist nerds fuelled by Japanese nostalgia etc who really obsess over such things?
I make absolutely no claim to be an expert on matters Trad but my impression is that the origin / aim was rooted in semi well dressed casual nonchalance and unrestricting comfort, not so much obsessing over vent and dart jacket styles etc.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to the kids who were there, yes, some kids did obsess over the details. I think it might have been Richard Press who said that you could tell what shop a kid frequented by the shirt and jacket details he wore. And if he didn’t go to the right shop he just wasn’t “in.” Kind of like how sneaker heads obsess over details today. But yes, I do think there must have been a lot of people who were less obsessed with those things.

On a side note, I shared an old 50s television interview with Christian a while back in which high school kids were talking about white bucks. They simply had to be dirty in order to be in, according to these kids.

Artigas

Reaction score
Even casual observers can’t help to absorb some of the details—in Season 6 of “The Sopranos”, when Tony is dreaming of being an Irish-American salesman instead of the Italian-American gangster he actually is, his wardrobe shifts from Italian sharkskin suits to a blue blazer, blue OCBD, and Brooks Brothers No. 1 Repp Stripe tie:

086E0259-99CD-48E2-8848-769175FA5EDB.jpeg

The show’s wardrobe people used trad as visual cue to represent the persona shift in James Gandolfini’s character, from mafioso to New Jersey salesman.

Now, certainly there were professional wardrobe people at work, and they didn’t get all the details correct, but what I mean to say is that, if there had been no one obsessing over Ivy details in 1962, the style wouldn’t have been cohesive enough to survive in a form recognizable and visually significant to the layman.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree. Ivy style is many things but it is also a fashion trend, so knowing the details was essential for the hard-core set. Undoubtedly there were kids who were satisfied to simply approximate the look but just as there were dedicated Mods in England so too were there dedicated Ivy kids in the U.S. But on the other hand I do think people today obsess over details in ways that they didn't in the 1960s. The obsession in recent years, it seems to me, is predicated more on nostalgia and even a sometimes false image of what things were like in the past. Because of that it is often far too dismissive of how fluid and dynamic Ivy was in the heyday. But indeed Ivy inspired trends continue to be fluid and dynamic with the rise of Rowing Blazers and Drake's turn toward Trad. The more things change...

Artigas

Reaction score
O’Connell’s suit, Brooks shirt and tie. Allen Edmonds black wingtips not pictured. The shoulders on this suit are more boxy than I would have liked, but it has no darts, is 3-2, and center vent. Sometimes you can’t have it all.

A697F55D-AF48-4F20-A5F4-8CF8A1A11DB9.jpeg

Artigas

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't heard, Pedro Mendez (The Hogtown Rake) have a new series in which he interview G. Bruce Boyer about his life in fashion. The first episode premiered today and is about Boyer's experiences growing up with Ivy style. Enjoy.

https://www.thehogtownrake.com/?p=4230

Always good to hear from people who were there. I found his anecdote regarding the distrust his political comrades felt towards him (due to his Ivy League dress) particularly amusing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads