• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artigas

Reaction score

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the school spirit of other alumni should affect your willingness to wear such a jacket. Rep your school even if no one else will. If you’ve got the spirit, others will follow. Blaze the trial.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the school spirit of other alumni should affect your willingness to wear such a jacket. Rep your school even if no one else will. If you’ve got the spirit, others will follow. Blaze the trial.
Agreed.
I have a badged blazer from where I got my first degree which would mean nothing to 99.9+ percent of people in America and/or on SF and most people in England too but I still haul it out from time to time.

FreddyV

Reaction score
As I'm from the Netherlands, there's no such thing as Southern Trad. Over the past months though I've figured out more and more what my style is. I've been looking into a style called Trad by a certain Youtube channel (no namedropping here). This style speaks to me a lot, but I'm still a bit puzzled on whether Trad is the same as Southern Trad, or even Northern Trad. When I browse through this thread I see a lot of similarities, though I'm seeing some differences as well.
Maybe any of you can give me a few pointers on what is Trad, Northern Trad and Southern Trad. I'm hoping to figure out my actual style better by getting acquainted better with the terminology.

FreddyV

Reaction score
I love tweed blazers, regimental ties, gingham and striped shirts, chinos and wing-tipped Oxfords or derbies. Based on the adaptations, where does this put me on the scale of Trad?

FreddyV

Reaction score
Oh there’s definitely not a Trad scale, I’m just trying to figure out what falls in the Trad categoryband what doesn’t. I’ll try to take some pictures over the upcoming week and share them here, though I highly doubt I can top either your style or you photography skills.

On a sidenote, I joined SF a few days ago, and noticed you pretty quickly. I’ve been following you on Insta for around 3 months.

Artigas

Reaction score
Here are some guidelines not everyone will agree with, since you asked what falls into the trad category. Note that there are other related categories (e.g. preppy and Ivy) that may or may not always overlap with trad, but for functional purposes I consider to be roughly the same thing as trad. I don’t think an outfit has to follow the below forms exactly, and I usually wear at least one deviation, but in my mind they are something like an ideal.

Jackets: natural shouldered, no front darts, 3 buttons rolled to two, center (sometimes hook) vent, two buttons on cuff. The blue blazer and tweed deserve special mention.

Shirts: the OCBD is the undisputed king, with the collar roll being the royal seal. Blue, white, and university stripes seem to be the most respected colors.

Ties: repp stripes, as you noted, but also tartans, small repeating motifs, and other tasteful ties.

Belts: ribbon belts, surcingle belts, leather belts. Motifs and stripes also make an appearance here.

Pants: often chinos, usually flat front, no break, and with cuffs. Also flannels.

Shoes: as you noted, wingtips, derbies, but also loafers, camp moccasins, boat shoes.

The “southern” part of Southern Trad seems to accommodate things like bright summer colors and some slight ostentation, more so than generic trad.

For learning the style (and I suggest wearing items because you enjoy them, not just because of trad “rules”) I benefitted from three main sources, in order:

1. What my father wore
2. What self-identified trads wore
3. Dress codes described as I have done above

I hope this has been helpful. From what you listed it sounds like you’re on the right track.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be easier to get everyone to agree on what is neither Ivy nor Trad.....

IMG_1633.jpg

.....but rather for the birds (of paradise).

No, didn't look to see how much this suit cost and no, didn't go looking for things like this. Was swanning around in a shopping center across the street from where I drove my friend's wife for a job interview and came across this. (Yes, she got the job.)

On the other hand, the Indian restaurant in the shopping center was already out of samosas, even though it was a few minutes before noon.

Artigas

Reaction score
On the other hand, the Indian restaurant in the shopping center was already out of samosas, even though it was a few minutes before noon.

Now that IS a shame. I hope you were at least able to enjoy a nice curry.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be easier to get everyone to agree on what is neither Ivy nor Trad.....

View attachment 1174680

.....but rather for the birds (of paradise).

No, didn't look to see how much this suit cost and no, didn't go looking for things like this. Was swanning around in a shopping center across the street from where I drove my friend's wife for a job interview and came across this. (Yes, she got the job.)

I vaguely recall you posting a batik jacket on this very thread a few years ago during a madras discussion. What makes this one different?

FreddyV

Reaction score
Here are some guidelines not everyone will agree with, since you asked what falls into the trad category. Note that there are other related categories (e.g. preppy and Ivy) that may or may not always overlap with trad, but for functional purposes I consider to be roughly the same thing as trad. I don’t think an outfit has to follow the below forms exactly, and I usually wear at least one deviation, but in my mind they are something like an ideal.

Jackets: natural shouldered, no front darts, 3 buttons rolled to two, center (sometimes hook) vent, two buttons on cuff. The blue blazer and tweed deserve special mention.

Shirts: the OCBD is the undisputed king, with the collar roll being the royal seal. Blue, white, and university stripes seem to be the most respected colors.

Ties: repp stripes, as you noted, but also tartans, small repeating motifs, and other tasteful ties.

Belts: ribbon belts, surcingle belts, leather belts. Motifs and stripes also make an appearance here.

Pants: often chinos, usually flat front, no break, and with cuffs. Also flannels.

Shoes: as you noted, wingtips, derbies, but also loafers, camp moccasins, boat shoes.

The “southern” part of Southern Trad seems to accommodate things like bright summer colors and some slight ostentation, more so than generic trad.

For learning the style (and I suggest wearing items because you enjoy them, not just because of trad “rules”) I benefitted from three main sources, in order:

1. What my father wore
2. What self-identified trads wore
3. Dress codes described as I have done above

I hope this has been helpful. From what you listed it sounds like you’re on the right track.
Thanks! I think these are guidelines I can actually work with. And yes, I wear these items because I love them.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the way Art dresses precisely because he doesn't stick to a Trad formula. You'll see a lot of discussion among the small number of aficionados about what is, and what is not, Ivy or Trad. Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to that, as he also hinted at. One of the great things about Trad as that it can fit into almost anyone's wardrobe and, with its casual and youthful vibe, is endlessly adaptable to contemporary styles. In other words: don't worry about how Trad you are. Just wear the clothes that make sense for you and take inspiration from history. Inspiration from history; that's the essence of the modern Trad enthusiast.

And I, too, understand the frustration of missing out on samosas. Of all the things India gave the world, or perhaps of all the things British imperialism gave the world, samosas are in the top five.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads