Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Linux Mint 13 "Maya", KDE 4.8.5 desktop.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Maybe on the corporate office desktop PC, that will still be a Windows stronghold. Although I don't own a desktop PC myself.

But in the mobile, tablet and laptop world I can see MS having some serious problems from Linux. There's Android and Chrome OS, they're both LInux. And in Asia, Canonical is putting some serious money behind marketing low cost Ubuntu laptops, as an alternative to crippled Home Basic Windows. And I'm starting to see quite a few Ubuntu laptops now, both in the stores and with people using them. With tablets and phones Windows has been a failure so far, I've yet to actually see a Windows phone or tablet. It's all Android and Apple iOS.

For me personally, Windows 8 made me use Linux, and last time Widows Vista made me buy an Apple Mac. I do like Windows 7 though, but problem is I can't buy Windows 7 or 8, not here, I can only have it, if I buy a new PC, and then it's the crippled Home Basic version. And I'm certainly not pirating Windows, because that's just asking for trouble.

BTW Jr Mouse, I have the idea that you have Macs and an iPhone, obviously that's not Windows, but then it's not Linux either.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I use Windows, Mac and iOS.

I know Android is Linux based, but it's so far removed from a typical Linux distro that I am not really sure it's proper to include them in those numbers anymore. Usually when people talk "Linux on the desktop" they are referring to Ubuntu or something. My comment was focused along those lines.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    For Harvey.

[​IMG]

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Lolz. Fucking exactly. Thank you Mighty Mouse.

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I think on a touch-screen tablet it might be OK, but on a large screen desktop PC? Fortunately for the moment, Win 8 still offers classic desktop mode. But if MS starts forcing it on everyone, in future versions of Windows.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Nevermind, I should read other replies before making my own.

I'll just say this, I think Android is *now* the typical Linux distro heh.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

8. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

FWIW I've had the Surface Pro for a couple of months now and I'm certainly using it much more than Acer w700. It's good to have the touch screen, pen input and keyboard input all in one machine. The Type cover is pretty good, though sometimes the trackpad detects my palm or whatever and pings the cursor around, plus it's difficult to type with the machine on your lap - you need a good flat surface. The battery life has been fine, though not iOS/ android/RT standard. I've taken it on my travels, and it's been one of the best portables I've used. OneNote is great to jot things down and collate stuff together - though I wish the android versions could 'see' the handwritten/drawn stuff.