• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussion on Outerwear

DaddyP

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm back with another question on what style(s) and color of item I should consider. We're coming up on fall, and I'm going to be in the market for a new coat. My current one is a black el cheapo overcoat from Macy's. It's about 10 years old, but should have been replaced 5 year ago.

I'm looking for a good do-it-all coat. I work in a Midwestern U.S. city. The winters vary from year to year, but generally, snowfall and moisture are modest in the winter. Highs tend to range in the 30s and 40s during deep winter, with a week long dip into the 10s or single digits. I work an office job, and tend to wear suits and jackets 2-3 times a week. I'm mostly going from car to building and building to car, with only occasional walking around in the elements. I'm probably out more on the weekends, though the spread out, suburban area I live and work in mostly has me in the car.

From my limited research, a trench coat is probably it warm enough for the coldest parts of winter. I was thinking an overcoat, probably in a tan color. What are your thoughts?

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
I would probably go first with a navy overcoat instead of a tan. Not only will it be more versatile, but it will also be less prone to stains and dirt which are pretty common in autumn and winter.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
If it's mostly for short walks, I'd go for a Covert coat. Covert's a stout and thorn-proof but slightly fuzzy cloth that can take cold rain, sleet, freezing rain. And the mottling/marling makes dirt less noticeable than on solid coatings like melton. Covert can do either country or city settings. If you want something a little less warm yet even more thorn-proof, there's whipcord.

Neither's meant for true below-freezing walking, though. Think more of tramping in cold wet fogs on the moors. For long walks in below-freezing with icy wind, melton or loden are what I'd want.

DaddyP

Reaction score
If it's mostly for short walks, I'd go for a Covert coat. Covert's a stout and thorn-proof but slightly fuzzy cloth that can take cold rain, sleet, freezing rain. And the mottling/marling makes dirt less noticeable than on solid coatings like melton. Covert can do either country or city settings. If you want something a little less warm yet even more thorn-proof, there's whipcord.

Neither's meant for true below-freezing walking, though. Think more of tramping in cold wet fogs on the moors. For long walks in below-freezing with icy wind, melton or loden are what I'd want.
I appreciate the suggestions on different styles. The work situation has changed again, and my office will remain in an urban, foot traffic heavy area. The parking garage is covered, so weather shouldn't be a huge problem, but I want the option to walk out and about comfortably, if needed. Especially as the holidays approach. So, the Melton or laden may be the better pick.

DaddyP

Reaction score
I would probably go first with a navy overcoat instead of a tan. Not only will it be more versatile, but it will also be less prone to stains and dirt which are pretty common in autumn and winter.
Fair enough, though I'm hoping I don't go too heavy on the navy. That seems to be the direction my wardrobe is heading, and I'm not certain about a navy suit, blazer, or chinos with more navy layered on with a coat.

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
Fair enough, though I'm hoping I don't go too heavy on the navy. That seems to be the direction my wardrobe is heading, and I'm not certain about a navy suit, blazer, or chinos with more navy layered on with a coat.
In that case, you can go for a grey or charcoal overcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads