• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoke with the hatter in my town. Was originally going for a snap brim fedora but seeing as how she mostly makes western hats she couldnt facilitate such a brim. I'm gona go with her style and have her make me a western hat. The style of hat is called the Glen Ford. I like the curve of the brim and the fact that it's not your typical 4 inch wide found on typical western hats. The Glen Ford is 3 1/4 brim. I'm not crazy about the crown so I'm thinking of "dressing" the crown up to simple center dent like a homburg. The color I'm thinking is medium grey with a silver grey ribbon hat band. I would like to hear what you all think about it. All advice and other recommendations are welcome as long as have the reasoning behind it.

View attachment 1128680
I'm really into this and seeing how it plays out. I've been waiting for somebody to experiment with dressier western hats.

Epicure

Reaction score
Dear colleagues!
Thank you for the really helpful advices about choosing of a hat.
I'm really impressed experience of Mr. Munky with his range of Christys' hats.

This is the result:
94a1ddcde591.jpg
Great hat, but I'd like the details on the jacket, please!

blueberry7

Reaction score
I may happen to have a length of just this cloth or something very similar at least:
IMG-20190127-WA0009-01.jpeg

Does this come anywhere close?

blueberry7

Reaction score
It looks close, but not the same.
Here is mine:
Ah yes. Different shades and structure. Thank you for taking the extra picture.
Still, I might use your pictures as inspiration for when the time comes to fund mine. :)

Now back to hats ...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues!
Thank you for the really helpful advices about choosing of a hat.
I'm really impressed experience of Mr. Munky with his range of Christys' hats.

This is the result:
94a1ddcde591.jpg
That is a great outfit. The hat is just right! Best wishes, Munky

suitedcboy

Reaction score
That is a nice hat. The wrinkled sweatband likely will go back in shape if the stuff they put behind to size it is gone and it is dampened and put on a hat stretcher. Not a full blown metal thing but one of those plastic ones used to keep shape against that tendency for leather to shrink when you wear one and get it sweat dampened.
Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowboy-Sma...9:g:3c0AAOSwUl5bBQtA:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Keep in mind that a new 100% beaver with some style/design choices of your own is available from Northwest hats (https://www.northwesthats.com/) or Gannon Hat company (https://gannonhatcompany.com/) for under $400. That is a near stingy width brim and looks like a shorter tapered crown. You might think you look better in something less towards a Trilby and more like a mid century larger fedora.

KotaB

Reaction score
Its listed at 175, I read something back from 06 about Borsalino hats not being as good as they used to be. But 13 years is plenty of time to improve quality. Wasnt sure if they have gotten better. Also wasnt sure if is indeed pure beaver as listed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads