1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gus, Apr 11, 2013.

1. KotaB

KotaB Well-Known Member

Another view.

1586787_full.jpg

2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Looks close but not quite a boater. This looks like it’s made of paper, boaters are made of stiff straw and thus have a more severe shape, an exact cylinder with a stiff brim, no curvature to the crown or shaping of the brims.

3. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

[​IMG]Christys make the hat, above and they describe it as a boater.

4. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

There is no law against calling a soft, cylindrical paper/straw hat with a straight brim a boater but 99.999% of hat aficionados think of a skimmer or sennit straw hat when thinking of a boater (i.e., the very stiff type).

5. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

I go by the rule that your balding head should look better wearing the hat. This one fails that test, for my head anyway.

6. KotaB

KotaB Well-Known Member

Never cared much for a boater but with the dark color and subtle hat band it's pretty appealing with the boater style.

7. MrAmbrose

MrAmbrose Active Member

Need to watch out for skin cancer so going to start wearing a hat in the sun this summer. Anyone have suggestions for summer hat styles which could be worn with a suit?

8. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

A lighter felt fedora or panama hat are my choices.

9. Thin White Duke

JJ Hat Centre on 5th Avenue in New York (they have a webshop) not only do solid Panama hats but in a variety of colours. I have five! I really like the ‘Bowery’ style as the perfect sized crown / brim ratio.

10. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

https://www.optimohats.com/collection

11. Anachronist

Anachronist Senior Member

Actually, Borsalino kept making their own hats, but the quality drastically went down the drain in the years before their bankruptcy. Most hat older hat shops over here in Germany still stock higher quality Borsalinos from the better times (80-90ies), although I've read even these can't hold a candle to the quality of up to the 60ies. In fact the company is now not owned by a capital group, but by the owner of the capital group himself, who is a big hat afficionado. According to an interview I read he has plans to improve Borsalino's hat quality again and the manufacturing will continue in their old premises.

12. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

Thanks for that update. I hope he prevails and makes great hats. Stetson had someone onboard that had passion for fedoras with quality of years past (Matt Deckard) but he is no longer there and they seem to have dropped those nice hats. Maybe Borsalino will be the place to get hats of quality widely available. There are several artisan hatmakers making great hats but there are people that buy hats in dept tored or haberdashers who would likely never order and wait for a bespoke hat.

13. Thin White Duke

I met Matt Deckard - very nice bloke and very enthusiastic about titfers so I’m sorry to learn he’s no longer repping for Stetson, I hope he has a new spot somewhere as that seemed to be the perfect gig for him. I think he was on an uphill struggle for the reasons you state along with competition from shops like Goorin who do their bit at hitting the hat market but not exactly ‘old school artisan quality’.