1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gus, Apr 11, 2013.

1. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

Borsalino is just a name now as I understand it, like Stetson. Some capital group bought the name and whatever else came with that out of a bankruptcy auction late summer or early fall 2018. I am usure what the status of their hat quality was before that. I think the hats were not made under a Borsalino roof for many years prior. I am active on The Fedora Lounge and there doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge about Borsalino from the last few years so I don't know if anyone could give an idea of that hat's vintage or its quality. $170 is a good price from what I know. That name is bringing a good price based on legacy. I have owned a few Borsalino hats of different felt qualities and the quality of construction was good but the felt was not at all as good as vintage Stetson and other US brands of the hat era. If you are sized 7, 7 1/8, or 7 1/4 there are usually a lot of these available in various auction sites. If you are 6 7/8 you can find some fantastic buys as men had smaller heads back in the 30s through 60s and there are a lot in that size that are unworn and go for less price owing to the smaller pool of buyers looking for that size.

2. KotaB

KotaB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. It appears to be a "lil ol lady" selling the hat so hey maybe its one of those pre 80's Borsalino's. From what I read that was before quality suffered.

3. mr monty

mr monty Distinguished Member

4. mr monty

mr monty Distinguished Member

that is a beauty!!!

5. KotaB

KotaB Well-Known Member

It says Hartford York, when you look it up it says it's now Tenth Street Hats in Oakland California.

6. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member

*Blinks*

...what? Is this an evolutionary progress on our path to size 10.5?

7. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

Orders and inventory records from 50 and more years ago show many more hats 6 7/8, 7, 7 1/8. Hat sales today are shoved upwards a couple of sizes. I am not making any claim of bone size change but it might be explained by increased weight and/or the age of buyers. Generally persons gain weight with age and head size does change with body weight. Exact sized hats are not bought by younger men these days and generally the US population is heavier. Maybe the ethnic mix has tended towards groups with larger heads.
    I should have used "hat buying men" instead of "men". In the context of a discussion of hats the assumption that "men" is the same as "hat buying men" was assumed.

8. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

Head size is broadly (though not linearly) proportional to overall stature. I assume you are aware that average height, etc. has increased in most populations between the early 20th century and now?

9. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member

I thought we were getting shorter.

[​IMG]

10. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

Twins:

That's a great look! This is how I tell my friends to dress well and show a sense of style.

BRAVO!

11. marker2037

marker2037 Distinguished Member

A few months ago I put myself on Mike's Northwest Hat Co list with a down payment for a beaver felt in silverbelly. I could never find the exact silverbelly hat I wanted so I figured I might as well go custom instead.

12. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

Thank you Sir!

13. marker2037

marker2037 Distinguished Member

Stetson Whippet on my way out to do some street photography in Sofia, Bulgaria.

IMG_9408.jpeg

14. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

That's the stuff! On the vernacular of today's younger generation, "You go, Mister"!

15. KotaB

KotaB Well-Known Member

Watched some of the Final Master on netflix, gotta love a good martial arts film. Seen this hat and was wondering what style is that. Is it a boater?

The-Final-Master-still.jpg