• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Trader George

Reaction score
It is a couple of sizes too large for you. Go to the link in my signature for advice on sizing and fitting. That section is toward the end of the guide.
Thank you for your quick reply, and thank you for the guide. This is a size Medium, which is funny because when I was in the store trying them on (a large was the only one available) two of the sales associates said Large fit perfectly... I disagreed, and for some odd reason only sized down to a medium. The only size left is small, should I return this and order that? Thanks again, by the way.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Belstaff Harris peacoat? At retail I. would not consider it, but I've found it on sale for 30% off which makes it a little more digestible.

Looks to be very slim fitting.

DRSATAN

Reaction score
Do any of the experts on here have links to any single breasted peacoats?

I'm sure people will say that's not strictly a peacoat but I have seen them sold under that name!
Cheers in advance

bwhli

Reaction score
Fit opinions?

This is a mint condition WW2 pea coat in size 36. Mostly looking for feedback on the shoulders. Do they look a tad big or okay?

I also have a size 34 WW2 that I wear when I'm not layering. That one is obviously slimmer, but can't button it up if I wear a sweater. I'm going to go to a tailor and get the buttons moved maybe half an inch to make it just a tad bigger.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks too big and therefore costume-like to me. I'd stick with the 34 and not worry about layering so much.

burnso

Reaction score
... Go to the link in my signature for advice on sizing and fitting....
Hi Peacoat, appreciate the guide and was wondering if I could get your opinion on a Sterlingwear coat sizing for myself?

Chest 41"/ Height 189cm (6'2")/ Weight 95kgs (14.96 stone)/ athletic lean

Few points:
- Usually will wear without layers underneath
- Prefer tailored feel but concern about too tight in chest (and restriction of movement in arms etc)
- P2P on a (good fitting?) existing coat is 24"!!
- Shoulder yoke 19.5"
- Length? ... An existing coat at 33" sits right at crotch height/ where crotch ends on a well fitting pair of jeans. To me this feels like an in-between kind of length, but appears to be ideal, but Im not sure.
- So I thought I would be looking at a size 44, but I get the impression you would be thinking more of a 42 or even a 40?
- I can take more measurements if required. Im in Australia so returns are not ideal if Im wrong

Really appreciate any opinions you might have.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Unfortuantely, you are too tall, too slender with arms too long to get a good fit in a vintage peacoat. For your chest measurement, I would recommend a size 40 (p2p 21.25") or even a size 38 (p2p 20.2 5"). A peacoat of that chest size wouldn't be long enough in the sleeves or in the torso.

The jacket that fits you well that measures 24" p2p is not a peacoat. That would translate into a size 46, which would swallow you. Peacoats are different. That is why I have never recommended using the measurement from an existing coat for a comparison--unless that coat is a peacoat.

burnso

Reaction score

trvlr472

Reaction score
Looking at the sizing chart (http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=page&page_id=size_chart) I thought I might be able to push for an XLONG, but that seems like it is a risk. Im a bit lost on what to do now for a good alternative/ option.

Appreciate your help Peacoat.

It's not a real peacoat but you might want to take a look at Filson's Makinaw Cruisers. They now make one with a slimmer fit for those that didn't like the boxy fit which was originally designed to layer underneath. I've had a standard Makinaw for well over 10 years and I love it. I finally wore the elbows out and had to have some leather "patches" put on them. I've worn it ALOT for the last 10+ years. They make other wool coats as well.

They aren't a real Peacoat but they are close if you order the Charcoal color.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads