• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

vintageflower

Reaction score
If there is only 1/4" of material at the cuff, you are out of luck, as you will need sleeves longer than 24". Often, though, there is additional material under the lining at the cuff. A tailor or a seamstress can attach a piece of material, called a bias to get the most of what original material is left.

In most of the peacoats I have seen there is sufficient material inside the cuff to lengthen the sleeves about an inch, perhaps a little more. It would be unusual to have only 1/4" extra at the cuff, unless the sleeves had previously been shortened.

I see, here is an image of the inside sleeve that the seller was talking about. This image may not justify but if there is anything underneath the lining to make it long that can work too.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Is the seller, the one who said that was 1/8" to 1/4", a woman? I'm betting so. What I am seeing is the standard amount of material typically available inside the cuff of a peacoat. There should be more under the lining. You will be able to get at least an inch out of that, and maybe a little more.

Also, I'm betting the p2p measurement is off as well. Probably closer to 20.25" than 21.50", which was furnished by the seller. She probably didn't measure correctly.

We shall see when you get the coat.

vintageflower

Reaction score
Is the seller, the one who said that was 1/8" to 1/4", a woman? I'm betting so. What I am seeing is the standard amount of material typically available inside the cuff of a peacoat. There should be more under the lining. You will be able to get at least an inch out of that, and maybe a little more.

Also, I'm betting the p2p measurement is off as well. Probably closer to 20.25" than 21.50", which was furnished by the seller. She probably didn't measure correctly.

Thanks and yes she was. This definitely looks to be more thank 1/8 to 1/4" so I think i'm good.

Katt

Reaction score

Just pitching in my two experiences with vintage peacoats - i've bought two off of ebay, both from around 1966/67 and the pit to pit has been a little "off" => first i bought a 38R that had a p2p of over 21 inches, i sold that one to a friend, and then i bought a 36R which has exactly 20 inch p2p.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Just pitching in my two experiences with vintage peacoats - i've bought two off of ebay, both from around 1966/67 and the pit to pit has been a little "off" => first i bought a 38R that had a p2p of over 21 inches, i sold that one to a friend, and then i bought a 36R which has exactly 20 inch p2p.

Normally, size 36 and below have p2p that are different from the larger sizes. Most (all?) of the size 34s I have seen have a p2p of about 19". The size 36s are about 20". These p2p measurements are a little larger than we would expect based on our experience with the larger sizes--38 and above.

Katt

Reaction score
Normally, size 36 and below have p2p that are different from the larger sizes. Most (all?) of the size 34s I have seen have a p2p of about 19". The size 36s are about 20". These p2p measurements are a little larger than we would expect based on our experience with the larger sizes--38 and above.
Ah, that's new information for me, gonna have to start looking at a 34 then :)

Do you know if this is consistent through the years from WWII to the seveties?

Peacoat

Reaction score

Ah, that's new information for me, gonna have to start looking at a 34 then :) 

Do you know if this is consistent through the years from WWII to the seveties? 

I have seen, and measured, size 34 coats from the the seventies and eighties only (there may have been a sixties in there, as well). These all measured 19" p2p. An odd anomaly. I would think (an educated guess) that the WWII coats are sized about the same, but perhaps a little smaller than the post war models.

mjolnir

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a vintage peacoat off of eBay. 1974 Pembroke size 36R in Melton wool according to the tag. It was an absolute steal. Perfect condition shell and looks relatively unworn. The button hole stitching is in pristine condition so I assume if it was worn it wasn't much.

Below are some pictures and I would like some feedback on the fit from the knowledgeable people in this massive thread. I think it fits well in the body and the length. The hem is about 1" under my butt. The shoulders are a little large but the biggest issue (I think) is the sleeve length and width. To me they are massive. My thoughts are to get .5" to 1" off the sleeve length and then have them slim down the arms. The armholes are a bit lower feeling than I expected but nothing too bad. The tailoring may not sit well with some of the purist but I want a contemporary fit with classic style and I think slimming the arms will hopefully accomplish that.

My measurements are:

~37.5" - 38" Chest
~ 17.5" Shoulders (potentially closer to 17.25")
~ 23.5 - 24" Sleeve (I can't remember exactly this one, haha)

Pictures:

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/fDilt

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Has anyone tried on this pea coat from Aquascutum? I really like the look of it. Although, no store stocks it here in Stockholm, and I'd rather not want to pay for the return shipping.

If you happen to own this coat: would you mind posting a couple of pictures, please?

Last edited:

RockyRabbit

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice on where to look for a peacoat:
I'm looking for a wool coat, that will be good for Canadian winters. Looking for a single breasted coat, which is preferably around 3/4 length (between hips and knees?) I have very broad shoulders, which often requires me to buy a large jacket and then taper. I'm about 6'0 with a muscular build, and am having a huge problem finding any pea coats that would fit how I like them right now.

Thanks for any advice!

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice on where to look for a peacoat:
I'm looking for a wool coat, that will be good for Canadian winters.  Looking for a single breasted coat, which is preferably around 3/4 length (between hips and knees?) I have very broad shoulders, which often requires me to buy a large jacket and then taper.  I'm about 6'0 with a muscular build, and am having a huge problem finding any pea coats that would fit how I like them right now.

Thanks for any advice!

Peacoats are double breasted garments and not particularly warm for Canadian winters. You might do better with a Filson Double Mackinaw. It has two layers of insulation (100% virgin wool) over the shoulders and yoke for climates such as yours. Their standard Mackinaw has a single layer, and is less expensive. They are waterproof enough to keep the snow off. The length is given as 31" compared to a peacoat at 32" in a size 42. I don't own one, but have heard others swear by them. Here is the link: http://www.filson.com/products/double-mackinaw-cruiser-alaska-fit.10041.html

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Buzz Rickson peacoat in size 34? Debating picking one up but want to ensure the fit first..

Related inquiry: where is the best/cheapest way to pick up a BR Pea? Rakuten? US/UK retailers don't seem to sell size 34 so I'm guessing Japan is the way to go.

Gent Esq

Reaction score
I have a long black wool overcoat, and I am searching for a shorter coat to wear with suits and sport coats on days that are not as frigid. I've looked at some car coats, but they can tend to be a bit boring in their styling. I generally thought of the peacoat as a little too casual for my needs, but I ran across the below peacoat by Ralph Lauren. Maybe it's just because they picture it with a tie, but it looks a little more on the formal side than many peacoats. I took a chance on it and ordered it in navy as pictured below. It just came in today, and it is longer in the hem and sleeves than my suit jacket which of course is an absolute must. Obviously, when the bib is zipped all the way up, it will cover the tie and give the appearance of wearing a sweater under the coat.

With all of that said, what are your thoughts on this for suits / sport coats attire? Too causal? Should I return and go with a more traditional car coat? Thanks!

ennui

Reaction score

Does anyone here have a Buzz Rickson peacoat in size 34? Debating picking one up but want to ensure the fit first..

Related inquiry: where is the best/cheapest way to pick up a BR Pea? Rakuten? US/UK retailers don't seem to sell size 34 so I'm guessing Japan is the way to go.

I have one in size 36. Fits well and is one of my favorite pieces. I got mine from History Preservation. I thought they also sold 34.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have one in size 36. Fits well and is one of my favorite pieces. I got mine from History Preservation. I thought they also sold 34.

Oh ****. You're right! History Preservation does sell them. I wonder why they're $500 there and like $800 at Self Edge and British retailers?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhtrran