• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought an Alpha pea coat. Sizing is a bit off.

Is a Sterlingwear 24oz a safe bet?

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, really interesting thread, some of the vintage navy peacoats look great.

I was hoping for a little advice regarding sleeve length. I bought the Saint Laurent peacoat from autumn and winter 2013, but still haven't worn it because I haven't got around to shortening the sleeves yet. I was wondering if there are any rules for sleeve length for peacoats, or guidelines that I could follow. At the moment the sleeve comes right down to the first knuckle of my thumb (the metacarpo-phalangeal joint), which looks too long. On the runway it was shown with the sleeves cropped up on the wrist where blazer sleeves would be, but I think this looks too short. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything to answer my question. Here's a picture of the jacket on a model:

http://cdn.stupiddope.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/saint-laurent-sense-magazine-3.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before...

I'm looking to invest in a high-end peacoat. Does anyone have experience with cashmere pea coats? My understanding is that they are warmer, but will I be able to go out in snow, etc.? Any other concerns?

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so quick question without going over the entire thread.

what NEW peacoat can i buy that is made in usa and ~$200 and under...

sterlingwear still best?

Reaction score
What do you think about this peacoat by Fred Perry? I was offered one but... it fits too big for me. I am selling it but, do you reckon it is a bit too long? Supposedly thats the way it is supposed to be used.

00Schneider

Reaction score
I bought a Sterlingwear Authentic recently (will post fit pics soon). Does anyone know where to find the same buttons a little bit smaller? Or any other tip for new buttons?

Archimedes

Reaction score
Yay or Nay? I know it's far from traditional but I'm not looking for a traditional peacoat at the moment so that's fine for me. Do you think it's over-designed though? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yay or Nay? I know it's far from traditional but I'm not looking for a traditional peacoat at the moment so that's fine for me. Do you think it's over-designed though? Any thoughts are appreciated!

I dislike the hanging placket on the right side of the jacket. What purpose does it serve?

I think a more traditional peacoat is best, even though something out of the ordinary is ok too, but I'm not feeling the contours of that peacoat design.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think about this peacoat by Fred Perry? I was offered one but... it fits too big for me. I am selling it but, do you reckon it is a bit too long? Supposedly thats the way it is supposed to be used.

Looks a lot like an admiral's peacoat. Not too long.

I agree that the shoulder patch seems a bit off. If it weren't hanging off the body of the coat I would be fine with it. The overall jacket is fine to me. Seems like a detail that I could change my mind on, though, when seen in person. Who makes it?

Archimedes

Reaction score

I agree that the shoulder patch seems a bit off. If it weren't hanging off the body of the coat I would be fine with it. The overall jacket is fine to me. Seems like a detail that I could change my mind on, though, when seen in person. Who makes it?

Thanks everyone for the input. I haven't made up my mind yet so I will probably try it on and return it if it still seems off somehow.

The jacket is from Wooyoungmi and the shoulder patch is supposed to be a gunflap or storm flap which I haven't seen in a peacoat before I believe.

Last edited:

Katt

Reaction score
Just bought this off of ebay. 1967 is what i get from the label, double stitching above sleeve hem. Corduroy pockets. Two tiny moth bites what i have seen, otherwise very good condition.

Size 36R.
P2P 20 inch
Shoulders 19 inch

My true chest is 38 inches, 155 LB, waist usually 29-30 in pants, or 36 suit pant size, the suit jackets i wear usually 38.

What do you think of the fit? I can still wear a thick sweater underneath, but then when i "hug" forward it is pretty tight in the back so i do not think i can go down to 34.
I think i can slim it down through the waist though, and of course hem the sleeves, but i always have to do that.
Length? Sleeve width? Chest?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads