• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the fast reply peacoat. :) The tightness only occurs when I try it on with a sweater - I was thinking of only buttoning the bottom 2 buttons if I had to size down.
Here's a pic of me in the 40R. What do you guys think? Size down or no?
U2I2rl.jpg

wpBbvl.jpg

(EDIT: Fixed the images)

You're probably a size 38R. The shoulders look a tad big to me.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few questions for Peacoat, clarinet, Booga, tycoon, or anyone else who can help:

(1) Peacoat, this question is specifically for you. I recently ordered a 36R Sterlingwear Spec peacoat, and it's currently en route to my house. However, judging by clarinet's pictures (and various posts in this thread), the vintage peacoats found on vintagetrends.com appear to be less boxy than the Spec (plus, I'm not a fan of the "suit-like" shoulders of the Spec, as was previously mentioned in this thread). Thus, I'm thinking about taking a shot on a 36 or 38 from vintagetrends. I know I want a 6-button, and you noted in your post on TheFedoraLounge that your 1949 coat (with the NAVAL CLOTHING DEPOT tag) has the nicest finish. With that in mind, should I be looking for kersey wool coats that have the NAVAL CLOTHING DEPOT tag on them? Anything else I should watch out for besides making sure that there is no moth damage?

(2) I find that sleeves are usually a smidge too long for me. Does this mean that I should order a 36S or 38S rather than the R? Do the S's and R's only refer to the length of the sleeves?

(3) I'm a little unsure about buying a vintage peacoat since they're that midnight navy color. Do you guys find that it becomes more difficult to match clothes because it is that midnight navy shade rather than gray or black?

By the way, I'm 5'9 and 1/2, 165 pounds, and my chest measures 38" or 39" (depends on the day) at the widest point when I inhale. My waist size is 31. Here are some pics of myself (for the faint of heart, please be warned that I'm shirtless).

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all, for your great knowledge!

- EDIT -

My Spec just came in, and as I feared, it seems too boxy on me, making me look like a football player. Could it be that I'm actually a 34...?

How snug does the 36R currently fit on you? The current fit looks good, but I'm worried about how well it'll fit once you lose some weight. A peacoat is an investment that should last for years. You wouldn't want it becoming too baggy once you drop some weight.

Last edited:

krazedout

Reaction score
breakHARD77: The fit looks great on you. I would not size down considering you already sized down 2 from your chest size. Any smaller and it'd probably be too tight. What is your freedom of movement like on the 36R?

aspasp

Reaction score
What size Sterling should I get? 5'8"-9", 140-150 lbs, 30 waist, 18.5 shoulder, 17-18 pit to pit, 36R size suit although that may be on the larger side. I am getting this tailored either way btw.

Last edited:

Frislid

Reaction score
I got an Sterling Authentic 34S, and I'm about 5'7" and exactly 36' in chest, around 31' waist, don't know the rest of the measurements. You could try a size down as I know that has worked for some others.

Peacoat

Reaction score

What size Sterling should I get? 5'8"-9", 140-150 lbs, 30 waist, 18.5 shoulder, 17-18 pit to pit, 36R size suit although that may be on the larger side. I am getting this tailored either way btw.

The chest measurement should be given in inches around the chest, such as 36". Pit to pit measurements are only given for the coats, never for a measurement around a person's chest. Also chest measurements are taken while the chest is neither inhaled, nor exhaled; just sort of in a neutral position. The more standard our language, the more accurate the measurements.

Last edited:

breakHARD77

Reaction score
breakHARD77: The fit looks great on you. I would not size down considering you already sized down 2 from your chest size. Any smaller and it'd probably be too tight. What is your freedom of movement like on the 36R?

The 36R gives me enough freedom of movement to operate, but at the same time, it's not to the point where I should size down. You guys are probably right about sticking with 36.

How snug does the 36R currently fit on you? The current fit looks good, but I'm worried about how well it'll fit once you lose some weight. A peacoat is an investment that should last for years. You wouldn't want it becoming too baggy once you drop some weight.

I'm actually only 20, and I'm in the middle of a pretty intense multi-week lifting plan, so this is probably the thinnest or lightest I'll ever be for the rest of my life. So I probably won't have to worry about that.

breakHARD77

Reaction score

Peacoat

Reaction score

Peacoat, do you think this could actually be a kersey peacoat? The only reason I ask is because, in your other thread on Fedora, you stated that all of the pre-80s melton peacoats you came across are labeled as such. Since this one doesn't specifically say that it's melton wool on the label, maybe it is a kersey?

http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat

That is a beautiful c1945 post war coat. Yes, it definitely is Kersey. They have labeled it as a 1951, but it isn't. If you will notice, the anchors on this label are not fouled. By 1951 unfouled anchors hadn't been used for about 3 years. There are other indications on the tag as well, but this is the easiest to explain. From the photographs of the coat and the tag, it appears to have little or no wear.

Ask Gary to hold the coat at an angle to a window in the daytime and check for moth tracking or other damage. If it passes inspection, that is a cheap price to pay for a peacoat of that era. Also, make sure the fit will be right. The p2p on this size 36 should be about 19.5" or 19.75". The size 34s and 36s are a cut a little different from the larger sizes. Depending on how you like your peacoat to fit, this will fit a size 36 to 37 inch chest. I think a size 38 chest would be a little too tight, especially with a sweater. But then, I like my peacoats to be comfortable with plenty of room to move.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

aspasp

Reaction score
I'll get my chest measured soon, but do you recommend a tall or normal size peacoat? What are the pros and cons. I'm a college student.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads