1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. PitbullTodd

PitbullTodd New Member

Hello, was wondering if you had any input/guidelines regarding the size vs. comfort aspect of the coat. I have broad shoulders/big chest, so I tried an XL which is comfortable, but the sleeves are too long (which I can have a tailor fix that problem). But wife said it just looks too baggy.

But when I tried the L, which looks snug and nicer according to the wife–but I have this habit of “testing” comfort by crossing arms/lifting arms above my head and…it sometimes feel I’m going to rip the back of the jacket. What’s your take on this? I know I don't walk around crossing arms/lifting arms above head. But wonder how snug should the peacoat fit.

Thanks for your time.

2. RobTee

RobTee Member

Thank you both. I've contacted the seller asking for a photo of the tag.

In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on this coat by the same seller. Same measurements, listed as 1950s but Peacoat's guide suggests it's actually a 1966 tag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-...pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item416fe9c946

I'd prefer that coat but, judging by some of the previous auctions, it's likely to fetch over £100 (~$160). I wouldn't be able to return it either.

3. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

You ought to be able to hug yourself without straining if the coat fits in the torso.
    Yes, this is a 1966 peacoat.

4. goonz

goonz Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this link, someone 'attempting' to take over the great Peacoat's mantle. I use the term 'attempting' very loosely here!

Still its a decent link and answers quite a few quesions about the newer issue coats from Sterlingwear so might be helpful to anyone thinking of picking up a modern day USN peacoat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/12yuv9/pea_coat_guide_v_10/

5. hyogen

hyogen Senior member

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

1 person likes this.
  7. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

Perfect coat for a nippy January day.

NOBD's collection of buttons is nifty!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. bmb032

bmb032 New Member

Looks good.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. eclecticstyles

eclecticstyles New Member

[​IMG]

This is my first piece of outerwear and I'm unsure of exactly how it should fit. I really like the way it fits me now, but I'm always open to a second opinion. It comes to the end of my natural shoulder and the sleeve length seems appropriate as well. The only thing I would be concerned with is having it taken in a little at the sides. I think that just might be because I'm comparing it to the fit of a blazer. This fits slightly looser than a blazer does at the sides. In fact, I can wear a thinner blazer (more like a suit vs. a tweed jacket) under the pea coat and it fits rather snug without pulling. For reference, I'm not wearing a sweater in this picture, though I've tried it on with a thick sweater and it fit similarly. Overall, I'm happy with the way it fits and I don't think I need to take it in, but I'm venturing into new territory and any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks.

10. goonz

goonz Well-Known Member

Pop the collar cp! mine stays popped!

11. phond

phond New Member

I'm skinny and tall, I seem to be lost in classic peacoats due to their boxy cut and the wide collars. Are there any go to alternatives for skinny builds with a comparable quality as the vintage coats?

12. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Finally getting around to posting a picture of my coat, school doesn't let up. Ending up sticking with the 36R Sterlingwear. Probably could have sized down to the 34 but I like the extra room.
    [​IMG]
    Just wanted to thank clarinetplayer and peacoat for all their help. Really appreciate it!

1 person likes this.
  13. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Goonz said: "Pop the collar cp! mine stays popped!"

He isn't allowed to pop the collar; his profession is too conservative. He has to save the popping for those times the snow is blowing at 40 knots, or it is dark outside.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  14. hyogen

hyogen Senior member

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

+1[​IMG]

16. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Yah gotta eat more food, drink more beer, yah know beef up, to fill in those coats buddy[​IMG]

17. phond

phond New Member

Well, I already tried to follow a strict diet of junk food and alcohol, the only thing which has beefed up is my belly though. My shoulder width is unfortunately not affected.

18. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

So I'm looking at two possible coats to try and bid on, would be great to get some advice/opinions from the gurus on how they may fit in real life:

#1 Description
    • Issued in 1981 based on the contract number
    • Tag size is 36S. See measurement for proper fit
    • [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Armpit to armpit - 19 1/2 inches[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Shoulder to shoulder - 17 1/2 inches [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Shoulder to Cuff - 24 inches plus 2 inches can be let out on the sleeve[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Neck seam to bottom hem from the back - 29 3/4 inches[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

#2 Description
    Issued 1979
    Tagged a size 36s

18.25" - shoulders
    21" - underarm to underarm
    24" - sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff)
    31.5" - sleeves (center nape of neck to cuff)

29" - length (shoulder to hem)

My measurements are:
    Athletic build
    Height: 5'4
    Weight: 138lbs
    Chest - 38 (I can float between 36 and 38 in suit sizing)
    P2P - ~18-19 (self-measured, need to get a sure measurement sometime, I know)
    Shoulders - 17.5ish

I am more inclined to be biased towards #2 because of the better condition as per the pictures from the sellers, but I'm not sure if the shoulders and p2p would be too much - even if I was layering a bit underneath. I would most certainly have to get the sleeves corrected and the body of the coat also shorted most likely.

Thoughts? Or should I really be trying to find a 34S?

::Ninja Edit::
    Just saw the measurements of a that Gap Cropped coat in XS from http://www.styleforum.net/t/144305/...-all-peacoat-questions-here/4560#post_5929141 , runnersnjeans is close to my size, with me being a bit fuller in the chest. I believe I've tried on Gap XS in general, and they are pretty snug, so maybe the above two should fit fine? Not sure if I totally trust the measurements of #2, don't know how the variation would be so great between 1979 and 1981 from the same manufacturer, even with the wool-material change.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  19. IronRinn

IronRinn Member

Not sure if anyone cares, but a quick update: VT has, at least, been willing to measure their coats for me, which I appreciate. So far every 38 I've inquired about, 4 in total, has had a p2p of 21", according to them. I'm going to ask them to measure a 36. Odds they come back to me with a p2p of 20"?

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

POP that DAMNED collar, people! Look at any movie icon who's worn one, from Robert Redford to Daniel Craig. Collar: popped.