• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

oso101

Reaction score
Hi there - thanks so much to everyone for all these helpful posts. I was hoping someone might be able to advise me on what peacoat would fit me best.

I'm 135 lbs and 5' 7 3/4", which puts me right between "short" and "regular." My chest measures about 34.5" or 35" at the widest point (just under the armpits) and 34" over the nipples.

I live in NYC so the coat needs to fit over a sweater.

Based on this, do you think a size 34R vintage Navy peacoat would fit me, or is likely to be too long in the sleeves and overall length (given my height) and too boxy (given my slender build)? Is it even possible to find coats in this size? It seems like 36 is the smallest commonly-available size.

If you don't think a Navy peacoat would fit me well, would there be a better option? My experience is that my size is generally not compatible with most retailers' standard sizes, and as a grad student, my budget is fairly limited, which is why a spending $100 or less for a vintage coat is an appealing option.

Thanks!

Updated to add: should I jump on this one, given that size 34 coats seem few and far between?

Ask Gary to do two things for you. Measure the actual pit to pit, and to hold the coat at an angle to a strong light to check for moth tracking or other damage.
A standard size 34 should measure about 18.5". However, I have found a lot of variance in the pit to pit sizes on the smaller sizes. I have three size 34s, two vintage and one current issue (1980). They all measure an even 19" p2p, which equates to a large 34 or small 36.
Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the info. Gary told me that the p2p is 19" on the 34R coat. Does that mean that it will likely be too large on me, given my chest size of about 34.5"?

And if so, what is my best alternative? Am I simply a peacoat-incompatible size?

Peacoat

Reaction score

Today, I received the peacoat from Vintage Treads. It is advertised as being from "1946". 38R If I measured correctly, and maybe I did not, the p2p is 19 and a fraction inches. I measured from the outside front of the coat. The color is definitely dark midnight navy. If this truly is a coat from 1946, it is in amazing condition. Not a tear or mark anywhere. One button, under the collar is missing. It is satin lined. Tan corduroy pocket liners. The coat is heavy, but not bulky. I am assuming that this is Kersey wool. The appearance of the wool if beautiful and smooth. It fits perfectly with a light sweater. The vents in the back are falling straight. It is solid, but very comfortable to wear. Note: There is a tag on one of the sleeves which I have not yet removed.
The coat arrived all folded up in a tiny box. These pictures were taken minutes after opening. There's not a wrinkle anywhere. If this coat actually is 66 years old, it is unbelievable. "They sure don't make them like this anymore!"
When I ordered it, I did not know what to expect. The coat is in wonderful condition. (As Peacoat advised a day or two ago, call "Gary", store manager at VT, before ordering. I did not, and I was very worried. Needlessy, as it turned out. But, I would do so if ordering again.)
If Peacoat happens to see this, maybe he can spot some identifying marks to date it.

The sleeve length is good. There is room in the shoulders.

It is a nice 1949 peacoat with Kersey wool. Now you see why I am such a supporter of Kersey over the current issue Melton.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. Gary told me that the p2p is 19" on the 34R coat. Does that mean that it will likely be too large on me, given my chest size of about 34.5"?

And if so, what is my best alternative? Am I simply a peacoat-incompatible size?

It appears that 19" is pretty standard for size 34s. I have three of them that size that measure exactly 19", and I have received measurements from several others that are also 19"

A size 34 peacoat ought to be a fairly decent fit for your chest size. It is the only option you have as size 32s are exceedingly rare. The size 34s are rare also, but not nearly so much as the 32s.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a nice 1949 peacoat with Kersey wool. Now you see why I am such a supporter of Kersey over the current issue Melton.

Peacoat is a gentleman's gentleman. Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

oso101

Reaction score
It appears that 19" is pretty standard for size 34s. I have three of them that size that measure exactly 19", and I have received measurements from several others that are also 19"
A size 34 peacoat ought to be a fairly decent fit for your chest size. It is the only option you have as size 32s are exceedingly rare. The size 34s are rare also, but not nearly so much as the 32s.

So just to clarify, the coat in question at Vintage Trends is a 34R, but you think I would probably be better keeping an eye out for a 34S? I'm just under 5'8", and the 34R coat has a length of 34" according to the site, which would hit about mid-thigh on me, a few inches below the buttocks.

Thanks again for being such a wealth of useful information!

EdWn

Reaction score
Ok can anyone tell me if these peacoats look too wide at the shoulders/pits or just flat out too big for my frame? Also if they look too long. I'm only 5'7. I'm currently about 14 in at the pits and probably 15.5-16 in at the shoulders. I need to remeasure myself because I lost a lot of mass. I'm wearing a 36R. I didn't think peacoats were sized any smaller (the ones I'm wearing don't anyways) but now that I know they do I'm probably going to get something else if these look big.

My shoulders and chest do fluctuate a lot because I work out a lot but I lose it very fast if I don't maintain it, which is what happened these past couple of months.

For some reason it won't let me post the images. Pretty sure I'm formatting it correctly.

Body with only shirt on:

51246301.jpg

Short peacoat:

45489588.jpg

Long peacoat:

TIA.
Bump. Last day to return is coming up.

sincere1983

Reaction score
Is there someone who can help me with purchasing the Rugby Peacoat?

I live in the Netherlands and I am not able to purchase it via the internet !

PLEASE can someone help me out as they have a sale now (25% off) and I want to buy it in a Medium !

Please? Anyone?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 38R Sterlingwear "spec" peacoat arrived today. Now that I can compare it with a vintage coat that I received yesterday, the color of the Sterlingwear is definitely black. The melton is not nearly as pliable as the Kearsey wool. This 38R is a tad longer than the vintage. The p2p measurement is 18.25 inches. (I think I have discovered how to measure this correctly on the coat!) In the pic, I'm wearing a wool sweater underneath, and it is not restricting. I am disappointed that in the (reverse?) fleece lining, there are some thread fragments sticking out. Pilling? On the 40R, that I returned a few days ago, the lining was in perfect condition.

Without measuring, I would say that the vintage is a bit more slender in the middle than the current "spec" coat. But, I would say that the "spec" is more slender than the "Authentic". The sleeve covers my wrist.

The "spec" has an inside button such as found inside a DB suit. The vintage does not have this. Other than the one spot where the fleece lining is not smooth, this is a well constructed, warm coat.

Last edited:

nathanl

Reaction score
So just to clarify, the coat in question at Vintage Trends is a 34R, but you think I would probably be better keeping an eye out for a 34S? I'm just under 5'8", and the 34R coat has a length of 34" according to the site, which would hit about mid-thigh on me, a few inches below the buttocks.

OK, so I'm about the exact same size as you in height and chest (maybe a 35 chest) and I have a 34R as well (in fact I looked at that very coat) - it fits me just fine - it's not to big or to long. The only thing to watch out for with that coat, and why I didn't buy it, is the sleeve length. They appear to be shortened and were definitely too short for me. If they measure OK for you, then I think the rest of the coat will fit you fine.

Here's another one I looked at - the response I got was it was in perfect condition (they compared a couple for me), but again, the sleeves are shortened and about the same as the one you're looking at: http://www.monstervintage.com/Vinta..._s_Military_Naval_Pea_Coat_X_Small_26626.html

Peacoat

Reaction score

I don't really have a frame of reference of whether someone needs a short or regular. A peacoat should hit just below the buttocks, probably within an inch or so. I am out of town without access to any of my pea coats, so I can't give an exact measurement. If a 34R hits just about mid thigh on you, that is too long--maybe 4 to 6 inches below the buttocks.

krazedout

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question - I have a sterlingwear authentic in size 38R and 40R. My chest size measures 41".

If I have to strain slightly to button the top button on the 38R, does that mean it is too small? I am able to hug myself, but it does feel a tad snug whenever I pull my arms back to put my hands in the pockets.

Would greatly appreciate your advice on the fit!

Thank you.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hi all,
Just a quick question - I have a sterlingwear authentic in size 38R and 40R. My chest size measures 41".
If I have to strain slightly to button the top button on the 38R, does that mean it is too small? I am able to hug myself, but it does feel a tad snug whenever I pull my arms back to put my hands in the pockets.
Would greatly appreciate your advice on the fit!
Thank you.

With what you have told us, I would say the 38 is too small for you. If it feels too tight, it is too tight. Plus, if you are in a cold climate, you will need a sweater under the coat. The extra material under the coat would only exacerbate the problem.

aspasp

Reaction score
For J Crew what size should i get? I'm a 36R. 15 inch neck and 32 inch sleeve

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads