• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Man of Moods peacoat I got from blueowl. Also got the waist suppressed a bit.

Yes, my pants are wrinkled as ****.

Photo%20Nov%2007%2C%207%2057%2057%20AM.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'll get my chest measured soon, but do you recommend a tall or normal size peacoat? What are the pros and cons. I'm a college student.

You don't even need to think about a tall peacoat. A regular in a 34 or 36, depending on your measured chest size, ought to be what you will need.

bb714

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a vintage size 32 pea coat, let me know! I have an extra one for sale.

In other news, I picked up a size 32 unworn WWII coat. It fits me so well, but sadly I will not be able to wear it this winter as I am studying abroad! So sad.

Peacoat

Reaction score

If anyone is looking for a vintage size 32 pea coat, let me know! I have an extra one for sale.
In other news, I picked up a size 32 unworn WWII coat. It fits me so well, but sadly I will not be able to wear it this winter as I am studying abroad! So sad.

What is the pit to pit on the 32, and what year is it? Please post a picture of the tag. What type of condition?

You must be going to a warm climate as US peacoats are big in Europe.

bb714

Reaction score

What is the pit to pit on the 32, and what year is it? Please post a picture of the tag. What type of condition?
You must be going to a warm climate as US peacoats are big in Europe.

Hey Pea Coat, the coat is in very good condition. No rips or holes. It has been issued though. Here's a picture of the tag. Are you interested?

aspasp

Reaction score
I just measured my chest and I am a 34" what size should I buy from Sterling and which of the different peacoats do you recommend?

bb714

Reaction score

I just measured my chest and I am a 34" what size should I buy from Sterling and which of the different peacoats do you recommend?

If you want a fitted look, go for a 32, but you probably wouldn't be able to layer much with that. Just wondering why Sterlingwear? Have you thought of going vintage? If Sterlingwear is your choice, then I would say go with the authentic!

aspasp

Reaction score
Doesn't Sterlingwear go by small, medium, etc.? And what is Vintage? Are those of better quality than Sterling?

bb714

Reaction score

Doesn't Sterlingwear go by small, medium, etc.? And what is Vintage? Are those of better quality than Sterling?

Nope. Sterlingwear has actual sizes. Vintage coats are older coats that were issued through the navy. Coats made before 1980 are the best because they have the older Kersey wool. It's much smoother and luxurious than the current coats. You can find a lot of them on VintageTrends.com or on eBay (search for vintage pea coat). I actually have a 32R available for sale right now, but it might be too small for you.

aspasp

Reaction score
Yeah I'm assuming since my chest size is 34" wouldn't I want a 36"? Also, what does the small, regular, and long mean?

bb714

Reaction score

Yeah I'm assuming since my chest size is 34" wouldn't I want a 36"? Also, what does the small, regular, and long mean?

Those refer to coat length and sleeve length. Yeah, you wouldn't want a 36. That will be much too big. If your chest size is 34, get a 34 if you want to layer, or a 32 if you don't plan on layering much. How tall you are determines if you'll need a S, R, or L.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hey Pea Coat, the coat is in very good condition. No rips or holes. It has been issued though. Here's a picture of the tag. Are you interested?

I'm not interested, other than theoretically, but one of our members is. I think he has already contacted you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads