• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the past few days, I looked over every page in this thread. Call me an @ss if you want, but the OVERWHELMING majority of the coats in this thread fit like tarps. I know...I know...The majority of the pictures on this site show bad fits, but for a thread this size, I expected more. Even the ones that have gotten positive reviews look like navy blue cardboard boxes.

Maybe my perspective has been ruined by the fit and shape of mtm coats, or maybe I'm missing something, but there HAS TO BE a RTW peacoat that's both functional and has a more flattering silhouette than the ones that we've seen on this thread. Does any brand come to mind?...pictures of you wearing it? A hundred or so pages back, someone said, "Fit > Authenticity," and that's turned out to be the cold, hard truth. If you want to look like you're in the armed forces, then by all means, go for that aesthetic, but (considering that most of us aren't/have never been in the armed forces) there has to be a brand that takes style and fit into consideration.

...again, not being an @ss...just giving my opinion.

Last edited:

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll say it again--J. Crew. Size down though from J. Crew's recommended sizing. Mine fits snug, trim, nice sillouette, and it's warm and functional.

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

I'll say it again--J. Crew. Size down though from J. Crew's recommended sizing. Mine fits snug, trim, nice sillouette, and it's warm and functional.

I am hoping that is the case, waiting on the shipment. What color did you chose out of the Navy/Black/Charcoal?

bik2101

Reaction score
i saw someone post earlier about moving the buttons to slim down their jacket a bit.. would this work okay? or would it make the jacket look off.i'm wondering because my peacoat fits perfectly everywhere but i wouldn't mind bringing the body of the jacket in about an inch or so (which I imagine I could do by pushing all the buttons out about another inch?

bik2101

Reaction score
To answer the question above. My girlfriend had her peacoat modified to make it slimmer. It does work but it does change the look of the coat. The collars will be closer together.
thanks for the response. yeah i actualy don't mind if the collars are a bit closer together. i guess its an easy change to revert so i'll give it a shot.

cfrp

Reaction score
Just make sure you find a good place to get it done. I would imagine the threads would have to be durable to withstand the stress of a tighter fit. Especially the last button.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. This weekend, I ordered one for about $120, shipped. I'm 6ft tall, 170+, 41.5 chest and 31 waist; I ordered a small. Though the sizing seems strange, we'll see how it turns out. At that price, I'm willing to experiment with rtw...worst case scenario, it will be a beater coat.
I am hoping that is the case, waiting on the shipment. What color did you chose out of the Navy/Black/Charcoal?
Charcoal (I already have a navy coat)

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked this one up http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat [
URL=http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/605886/]
LL
[/URL]
Pricey over the other ones on the website. Anyone know why?
The price might reflect the fact that there is no fraying around the button holes, the lining is in good condition, the exterior wool has no moth holes, and/or the piping on the collar has no wear. If the size/fit works, you are going to love this coat.

burgerkong

Reaction score
i saw someone post earlier about moving the buttons to slim down their jacket a bit.. would this work okay? or would it make the jacket look off.i'm wondering because my peacoat fits perfectly everywhere but i wouldn't mind bringing the body of the jacket in about an inch or so (which I imagine I could do by pushing all the buttons out about another inch?

That's what I am doing, but I won't be changing the top buttons by much, the upper torso fits fine, the bottom/waist however could use a 0.5" to 1" shift. If you move it too much the left row of buttons will center and look asymmetrical.

burgerkong

Reaction score
Yes, those appear to be the proper buttons.
The button you use on the inside would have to correlate to the size of the buttonhole. Some coats have an additional inside button for this purpose. Some are the small size and some are the standard size. If you don't have a dedicated inside buttonhole, and have a coat that allows buttoning both ways, you will probably want to use the large size buttons. If sewing the button on yourself, don't sew through a pocket.

Wonderful, thanks again! The way the handwarmer pockets are positioned ensures the button will never come close to it, so I should be safe in that regards, but if it does hit the pocket, I will be sewing the button only through the outside shell, and not all the way through the lining. But knowing me, I'll screw it up the first time and realize what I'd done.

bik2101

Reaction score
Just make sure you find a good place to get it done. I would imagine the threads would have to be durable to withstand the stress of a tighter fit. Especially the last button.

wasn't planning on shifting them to be too tight, just a bit of a closer fit. was hoping to just do it myself at home.. maybe i'll reconsider that.

That's what I am doing, but I won't be changing the top buttons by much, the upper torso fits fine, the bottom/waist however could use a 0.5" to 1" shift. If you move it too much the left row of buttons will center and look asymmetrical.
oh, didn't even think about those. haha i guess i could also shift those to the left/right if they look too centered.

cfrp

Reaction score
The price might reflect the fact that there is no fraying around the button holes, the lining is in good condition, the exterior wool has no moth holes, and/or the piping on the collar has no wear. If the size/fit works, you are going to love this coat.
Hopefully the quality will be good. It was listed as mint condition. I am hoping the fit will be good. My chest is a 35 and the smallest I could find for vintage was 34... I know the real p2p is going to be more than 17" but hopefully not by alot. Worse comes to worse I'll wear a sweater underneath. It would be nice if it fit snug without one though...

#asianproblems

I'll post up some fit photos when I get it in the mail. Just shipped out today :D

cfrp

Reaction score
Wonderful, thanks again! The way the handwarmer pockets are positioned ensures the button will never come close to it, so I should be safe in that regards, but if it does hit the pocket, I will be sewing the button only through the outside shell, and not all the way through the lining. But knowing me, I'll screw it up the first time and realize what I'd done.

Did you end up finding any good stores in GTA for peacoats? I hit up the army store near kensington. They have nothing left in smaller sizes. They have fidelity 34 but I didn't reallly like how it was made. Feeling like the sterlings are better made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads