• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

cfrp

Reaction score
Where in Canada are you? You might be able to try on some sterling or fidelity locally to see.

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

Interesting coincidence...I posted earlier about a peacoat from Jos. A. Bank and it happened to arrive at the post office today.... I'm interested to hear your thoughts...never worn a peacoat before and was wondering if you guys think the proportions are right. I think it fits pretty well. The only issue was that the sleeves were too long. Luckily, they have a little decorative band that goes around the wrist so I just folded the fabric in and you can't tell...there isn't even any bulging. What do you guys think (sorry for the crappy lighting):
Take my critique with a grain of salt. I am a pea coat newbie (just got my first one), and there are a lot more enthusiasts and experienced users here who would be able to provide you a more appropriate analysis on it. I will just tell you what I would I have liked if it was my coat. 1. One of the first things that popped out to me right away was the shoulders. It is too big and that indent is a bit noticeable/glaring. It doesn't give it the streamlined appearance. 2. For me, the length would be a bit too long for a pea-coat and approaches the length of a topcoat. Think it would have looked better if it was more cropped. 3. From far away, it almost looked like the sleeves were folded over, but it is in fact those "arm epaulets" (not sure of the correct term) - not sure why they made it so close to the end of the sleeve, since usually they are higher up. It is a nice detail, but wish it was implemented better. Would you mind telling us some details on the pea coat such as composition and where it was made? Also, how is fit in your opinion? Lot of room inside or just right? Seems like a more boxy fit, than than a more contemporary/modern fit. I have no exeprience with any Jos A Bank products in regards to fit, etc. As always, you will be the one wearing it so what makes you happy, go for it mate!

dgonsh

Reaction score
I'm in toronto. anyone know where i can try on some schott, fidelity, or sterling for sizing? i think i'd be a 38 in most. i wear a 36 barbour bedale for reference...tough to tell without trying some on.

thanks

bik2101

Reaction score
well first you should measure your chest. there are a few p2p measurements for some schott and sterlingwear peacoats posted over the past several pages.

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
Take my critique with a grain of salt. I am a pea coat newbie (just got my first one), and there are a lot more enthusiasts and experienced users here who would be able to provide you a more appropriate analysis on it. I will just tell you what I would I have liked if it was my coat.
1. One of the first things that popped out to me right away was the shoulders. It is too big and that indent is a bit noticeable/glaring. It doesn't give it the streamlined appearance.
2. For me, the length would be a bit too long for a pea-coat and approaches the length of a topcoat. Think it would have looked better if it was more cropped.
3. From far away, it almost looked like the sleeves were folded over, but it is in fact those "arm epaulets" (not sure of the correct term) - not sure why they made it so close to the end of the sleeve, since usually they are higher up. It is a nice detail, but wish it was implemented better.
Would you mind telling us some details on the pea coat such as composition and where it was made? Also, how is fit in your opinion? Lot of room inside or just right? Seems like a more boxy fit, than than a more contemporary/modern fit. I have no exeprience with any Jos A Bank products in regards to fit, etc. As always, you will be the one wearing it so what makes you happy, go for it mate!

Thanks, I appreciate the frank comments....I've only worn it around the house and haven't taken it outside in case I end up returning it...I'm considering a custom jacket from makeyourownjeans.com (I know some people have had bad experiences with them but my jeans were perfect so I may try a custom jacket)

Before I make a move....is it possible to tailor material like this? I routinely get shirts and pants adjusted and know a good tailor for my leather jackets...but can a normal tailor work with thick wool (or wool blends)? I think I can live with the shoulders but maybe I can get the sleeves shortened (instead of tucking the excess) and maybe have the waist taken in a little? Anyone try this?

cfrp

Reaction score
I'm in toronto. anyone know where i can try on some schott, fidelity, or sterling for sizing? i think i'd be a 38 in most. i wear a 36 barbour bedale for reference...tough to tell without trying some on.

thanks

Go a few pages back. There is an army surplus place by kensington market that carries Fidelity (a few sizes) and Sterlingwear (sold out)

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

Thanks, I appreciate the frank comments....I've only worn it around the house and haven't taken it outside in case I end up returning it...I'm considering a custom jacket from makeyourownjeans.com (I know some people have had bad experiences with them but my jeans were perfect so I may try a custom jacket)

Before I make a move....is it possible to tailor material like this?  I routinely get shirts and pants adjusted and know a good tailor for my leather jackets...but can a normal tailor work with thick wool (or wool blends)?  I think I can live with the shoulders but maybe I can get the sleeves shortened (instead of tucking the excess) and maybe have the waist taken in a little?  Anyone try this?

Yea, I am waiting on other people to chime in on their opinions, so that you can get a better idea. In regards to getting pea coats adjusted, yes it is possible. I haven't personally done it, but I think in my quick skim of a few pages on this thread some other people have and it has turned out well. Since you already know a tailor and have had good experiences, your best bet would be to take it to him and ask him what he can do your you. Hope things work out for you and you end up with a great winter coat whatever you decide on.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will give some fast primary impressions on the J. Crew Bayswater pea coat that just came in. I can't give any day to day use reactions yet, but perhaps I will update on that in the future:
  • Navy = dark midnight blue. Almost black indoors, but I guess the blue hues becomes more self-evident in the daylight outdoors.
  • Weight = Not too cumbersome or bulky, which is a huge plus, while still having the weight of the wool. Speaking of wool, I am glad this is 100%, unlike a lot of the commercial brands that sell wool-poly blends. It is also not a scratchy type of wool, but has a smoother hand.
  • Thinsulate = After putting it on, I definitely felt the warmth, so fortunate I made the choice on getting this lining. Seems like I can get away with wearing a shirt under this on the chilly days.
  • Fit = I ordered the XS. Room to do daily activities and maneuver without feeling constricted. Around a 39.5" chest and a 31" inch waist, so anyone with similar dimensions shouldn't have any difficulty with the XS. The strong shoulders are a plus too, it gives a confident appearance (really dislike slouched shoulders). The cut is not boxy, and you can definitely see the hourglass shape when you stick your arms out.
  • Side notes: The metal collar closure is a nice touch and sets it apart from the thousands of pea coats you see everyday on the streets. Also under the collar there is a neck piece you can put on.
  • Cons: There is no vent. I would have preferred to have one, but it is what it is. Although a lot of times I see people's vents sticking out in the back like a tail, which doesn't look too flattering. I also the wish the collar would be a bit more "sturdy".
Overall first impressions were positive, and I can't complain about much. It was a $100 well spent and should last many winters ahead.
PS: Since it came in the mail, there are a few creases/wrinkles on the pea coat. Has anyone ironed their coat or recommend any solutions?
I received the charcoal Bayswater today. Like you mentioned, there are pluses and minuses, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't fit as well as I would like. I'm 6ft, 41.5" chest and 31" waist. I ordered a size Small. There's still just too much excess bulk in the waist for my taste. The coat's smaller, but it's just a smaller box. There's really no shape in the torso of the coat. The waist is practically the same size as the chest. I understand that my build isn't the most common, but I was hoping for a slightly better shape. Not to mention, the sleeves are about a half inch to an inch shorter than I'm comfortable with. On a positive note, the length is fine.

I don't like the hassle of having to return items, but I'll have to take this one into the store for a refund. In the end, I guess that you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking for an RTW coat that's got a decent silhouette, but I'll probably pony up a few more bucks for another mtm.

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score

Before I make a move....is it possible to tailor material like this? I routinely get shirts and pants adjusted and know a good tailor for my leather jackets...but can a normal tailor work with thick wool (or wool blends)? I think I can live with the shoulders but maybe I can get the sleeves shortened (instead of tucking the excess) and maybe have the waist taken in a little? Anyone try this?
i would imagine having the jacket body taken in at all would be a good amount of work (=expensive). i might be completely wrong about this but that's just my thought. shortening sleeves shouldnt be an issue though

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the charcoal Bayswater today. Like you mentioned, there are pluses and minuses, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't fit as well as I would like. I'm 6ft, 41.5" chest and 31" waist. I ordered a size Small. There's still just too much excess bulk in the waist for my taste. The coat's smaller, but it's just a smaller box. There's really no shape in the torso of the coat. The waist is practically the same size as the chest. I understand that my build isn't the most common, but I was hoping for a slightly better shape. Not to mention, the sleeves are about a half inch to an inch shorter than I'm comfortable with. On a positive note, the length is fine.

I don't like the hassle of having to return items, but I'll have to take this one into the store for a refund. In the end, I guess that you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking for an RTW coat that's got a decent silhouette, but I'll probably pony up a few more bucks for another mtm.

Returned

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Must really depend on body shapes. Mine (in a medium) is about as snug and fitted as I could want without it feeling constrictive. No excess at all.

Last edited:

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

Must really depend on body shapes. Mine (in a medium) is about as snug and fitted as I could want without it feeling constrictive. No excess at all.

Yep, that is pretty much what I was about to state. It looked good on me according to others. If you want an extreme hourglass type silhouette then this pea coat is not that (which in my opinion is too feminine in appearance). Good luck on your chase and hope you can eventually find one that makes you happy. End of the day though, the person who will be the biggest skeptic and critic will be yourself, because most people won't be aware or care. Your confidence and the way you carry yourself will make a paltry coat look cool :p

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah...body shape and fit preference. I don't wear "chunky sweaters." Everything that I wear is pretty slim. There's a pretty big drop from my chest to my waist, and I like my jackets and coats to also have that silhouette. The chest and waist on this coat had practically the same measurements. That's a big no go for me. I couldn't bring myself to keep it...even as a "beater" coat. On a positive note, my local store now has a Small charcoal peacoat in stock.

Last edited:

destiny7

Reaction score
so if my Chest is 38" , sleeve length is 35 and height is 5'11 should size down on Schott's or Sterling's pea coat???

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsgtfo1984