• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

ascher07

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm looking to get a peacoat from one of the big three american manufacturers, leaning Schott at the moment. They all claim to be small and suggest sizing up, even some of the reviews advise it, but several places in this thread seem to suggest the opposite and sizing down. I have a 43" chest, relatively thin in the waist, and wear a 42 jacket. Should I stick with my normal size, go up go down? Also, any preference on coats? I'm currently looking at the 740C, but am not sure about the leather lining on the arm seams.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hi there,
I'm looking to get a peacoat from one of the big three american manufacturers, leaning Schott at the moment. They all claim to be small and suggest sizing up, even some of the reviews advise it, but several places in this thread seem to suggest the opposite and sizing down. I have a 43" chest, relatively thin in the waist, and wear a 42 jacket. Should I stick with my normal size, go up go down? Also, any preference on coats? I'm currently looking at the 740C, but am not sure about the leather lining on the arm seams.

Contact Schott, ask for a pt 2 pit and use my sizing guide. You will probably want a p2p of about 22.25". That fit will give enough room for a sweater underneath. My sizing guide is toward the end of an article I wrote that is linked in my signature line below.

red81

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just bought a 42 about a month ago. I'm a 40" chest with a 35 natural waist (5'11"ish).The fit is perfect, but i have 16.5" arms and the schott 740c sleeves are skin tight on me, i don't think i could fit a sweater in there. I've only worn it with thinner shirts so far, if that helps you at all.

Last edited:

Contrast

Reaction score
Has anyone has success contacting Sterlingwear recently?
I was looking to purchase a Mil-Spec peacoat and wanted to ask them about sizing. I emailed them with no response at first and asked on their facebook page where they said to email them again. I still have not heard back.

Anyways, I have read Peacoat's peacoat guide for sizing but still wanted to ask some questions, specifically on the Mil-Spec peacoat and the Authentic.
My measurements are

Chest: 39
Waist: 32
Sleeves: 31
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 170 lbs
p2p: 19.5 on a shirt
(Self measured so I don't know if it's spot on)
I seem to fit in most 36 jackets and peacoats from fast fashion brands like h&m.

If anyone could give me a recommended size and/or some details about recent interactions with Sterlingwear it would be appreciated. If I don't hear back from them soon I'll probably just buy an Authentic based on advice here.

Thanks!
Funny thing is that I also contacted Schott before with in regards to their 740C and have not hear a response from them either.

badgerbrush

Reaction score
Has anyone has success contacting Sterlingwear recently?
I was looking to purchase a Mil-Spec peacoat and wanted to ask them about sizing. I emailed them with no response at first and asked on their facebook page where they said to email them again. I still have not heard back.

Anyways, I have read Peacoat's peacoat guide for sizing but still wanted to ask some questions, specifically on the Mil-Spec peacoat and the Authentic.
My measurements are

Chest: 39
Waist: 32
Sleeves: 31
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 170 lbs
p2p: 19.5 on a shirt
(Self measured so I don't know if it's spot on)
I seem to fit in most 36 jackets and peacoats from fast fashion brands like h&m.

If anyone could give me a recommended size and/or some details about recent interactions with Sterlingwear it would be appreciated. If I don't hear back from them soon I'll probably just buy an Authentic based on advice here.

Thanks!
Funny thing is that I also contacted Schott before with in regards to their 740C and have not hear a response from them either.

I too had a question about their Mil-Spec and while it took a few days, I did get this response (I gave them my chest size as a 42, as well as my height and weight):

"We do not offer the Military Specification Peacoat on our website, however, it is possible to purchase on directly from the factory with just a phone call. The price of the Mil Spec is $350.00, and unfortunately, these and all of our peacoat do not go on sale. With regards to sizing, my suggestion would be to go with a 44R or 44L depending on your sleeve length. To get the correct sleeve length you must measure from where the seams cross in the arm hole down the inner seam of the sleeve while the sleeve is straight down by the side of the coat.

let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Michele Paradis
Sterlingwear of Boston
Customer Service - Wholesale
(617)567-1259 (direct)
[email protected]"

Contrast

Reaction score
I too had a question about their Mil-Spec and while it took a few days, I did get this response (I gave them my chest size as a 42, as well as my height and weight):

"We do not offer the Military Specification Peacoat on our website, however, it is possible to purchase on directly from the factory with just a phone call. The price of the Mil Spec is $350.00, and unfortunately, these and all of our peacoat do not go on sale. With regards to sizing, my suggestion would be to go with a 44R or 44L depending on your sleeve length. To get the correct sleeve length you must measure from where the seams cross in the arm hole down the inner seam of the sleeve while the sleeve is straight down by the side of the coat.

let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Michele Paradis
Sterlingwear of Boston
Customer Service - Wholesale
(617)567-1259 (direct)
[email protected]"

Thanks! So basically I should just call them to order? I measured my sleeves with the methods online which was from the back of the neck, but I know I'm a short anyways so it should be fine.

Are you going to order one?

badgerbrush

Reaction score
Thanks! So basically I should just call them to order? I measured my sleeves with the methods online which was from the back of the neck, but I know I'm a short anyways so it should be fine.

Are you going to order one?

Yes, you'd need to call to order. I emailed back asking for a sizing chart for the Mil-Spec, or at least a pit-to-pit/sleeve measurement - I am suspicious of ordering anything *larger* than my size in American-cut peacoats, so I'll wait until I do all the measuring before I order. While I'd want something more form-fitting and trendy like Bond's Billy Reid ($700 yeah right), I figure a Mil-Spec is a truly classic style (did you see the pics of clarinetplayer's vintage and Mil-Spec coats on pages 288-89?) that won't break the bank.

badgerbrush

Reaction score

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clarinetplayer and Peacoat answered this (my question too) on page 290.

Thanks - I thought the Mil-Spec was cut a bit slimmer. Does the Authentic/Navigator sizing chart apply to the Mil-Spec as well?

I believe that the sizing of the Mil Spec is the same as the Auth/Nav.

badgerbrush

Reaction score
I believe that the sizing of the Mil Spec is the same as the Auth/Nav.

Thanks. My chest measures a 42, and according to the chart (as well as the rep I emailed) I should order a 44. Peacoat has recommended sizing down, so I'm a little torn. I really like how the Mil-Spec fits on you - may I ask you what size that is in relation to your chest size? I'd hate to spend more than I need to on return shipping.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Contrast: You are a Tweener size, so It is more difficult to get a good fit. I would think a peacoat with a p2p of about 20.25 should give a fairly good fit. Should have enough room for a sweater underneath. That would be a size 38 in the vintage models. May be about the same in the Authentic and the Mil Spec, although they are probably fitted a bit larger these days. A pit to pit of 19.50 would be a more closely fitted coat, but probably wouldn't have room for a sweater.

Sometimes you just have to stay on these online retailers. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads