1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Best tree stand I've ever seen. Peacoat looks good too. We have warmed up down here, and no longer peacoat weather during the day. But looks like you guys are somewhat cooler up there in A2.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Thanks, CP, that is good to know. I wasn't aware of it until just now.

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I should qualify my answer to that the bespoke service was offered in the past. I'm not certain that they continue to do so. It's worth an ask.

4. jockstick

jockstick Well-Known Member

Where can I find a herringbone peacoat like this one?

[​IMG]

5. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

@Peacoat

Thank you for your sizing advice a couple of weeks back. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you and thank you. I ended up sizing down from the medium to a small. It's not the perfect fit, but it's a lot better than the medium, and I won't get a better fit on this particular coat without it being too small.

6. bobbywinter

bobbywinter New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a navy peacoat not too close to black and with a close to body fit and it seems like it's very hard to find this year.

Do you think this one will be good ?

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00K3JTTUK/...ve=22686&creativeASIN=B00K3JTTUK&linkCode=df0

Isn't it too short on lenght ?

I'm 185 (6,1") centimeters and 154 pounds

If you've got other sites where I could find a peacoat corresponding to my criterias it would be nice too

Thanks for your answers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It looks too short on the models, and 50% polyester is too much.

Anyway, those measurements aren't precise enough to try to find a specific peacoat to recommend. It's much safer to buy outerwear in person anyway.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  8. vintageflower

vintageflower New Member

Hi,

New to the forum but have been checking out the threads. This one in particular because I've been looking for vintage peacoat's. Normally I would go into small boutiques here or, exchange stores or military surplus. But haven't gotten lucky before winter breaks in. I checked out Ebay and came across this. coat pictured below.

Brand-Navy Issue/Clothing Supply Office
    Size-Men's 38
    Color-Navy Blue
    Style-Double Breasted, 1953, Navy Issue, wool peacoat with tan corduroy pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bought this yesterday because I just loved it and always wanted one. However, I'm hoping that it will fit me, I was looking for a more fitted coat. I used to wear a 44 and it was way wide. I lost lots of weight and slimmed athletic fit as I'm very active. I'm 6 foot shy of 6 foot1, 185lbs, size 36 pant, 34 inseam. I measured my blazer style coat jacket and measures are below compared to my purchased one. I hope it fit's! It was a spontaneous buy I hope I scored.

My Measurements:

Shoulder to shoulder 19 or 19.5 inches

Shoulder sleeve to wrist 26 inches

Under arm to underarm 20

Length at center back 30.5

New Coat Measurements

Shell Measurements: (taken with garment laid flat)

Underarm to underarm-21.5" front only
    Shoulder to shoulder across back-19.5"
    Sleeve cap to wrist-24"
    Length at center back-32"

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  9. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Vintage Flower: Welcome to the forum. Your chest measurement should always be taken all the way around. Measuring the way you did, can induce error in the measurement. I am guessing your chest measures about 40" around. The coat you bought will probably fit like a size 40, based on the p2p measurement. I see in the picture it is labeled as a 38. Either the p2p measurement is off, or the coat is mislabeled. Normally, for coats of that era, the p2p would be a whole number and .25, not .50. Example: 20.25" would give a size 38, which is what I would expect this coat to measure. It wasn't until years later that a size 38 would measure p2p at 20.5"

If you haven't done so already, read my section on fitting in the link to Peacoat Dating in my signature line.

Looks like a nice 1953 vintage peacoat.

10. vintageflower

vintageflower New Member

Thank you! You know, I was a bit concerned about the sleeves. I hope I can take them down about and inch or two. However, my seller emailed me and said the material left under the cuff looks to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch seam allowance which concerns me. Are there other techniques in terms of achieving say a 26.5 in case I need them longer? They are 24" now.

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

If there is only 1/4" of material at the cuff, you are out of luck, as you will need sleeves longer than 24". Often, though, there is additional material under the lining at the cuff. A tailor or a seamstress can attach a piece of material, called a bias to get the most of what original material is left.

In most of the peacoats I have seen there is sufficient material inside the cuff to lengthen the sleeves about an inch, perhaps a little more. It would be unusual to have only 1/4" extra at the cuff, unless the sleeves had previously been shortened.

12. vintageflower

vintageflower New Member

I see, here is an image of the inside sleeve that the seller was talking about. This image may not justify but if there is anything underneath the lining to make it long that can work too. [​IMG]

13. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Is the seller, the one who said that was 1/8" to 1/4", a woman? I'm betting so. What I am seeing is the standard amount of material typically available inside the cuff of a peacoat. There should be more under the lining. You will be able to get at least an inch out of that, and maybe a little more.

Also, I'm betting the p2p measurement is off as well. Probably closer to 20.25" than 21.50", which was furnished by the seller. She probably didn't measure correctly.

We shall see when you get the coat.

14. vintageflower

vintageflower New Member

Thanks and yes she was. This definitely looks to be more thank 1/8 to 1/4" so I think i'm good.

15. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Just pitching in my two experiences with vintage peacoats - i've bought two off of ebay, both from around 1966/67 and the pit to pit has been a little "off" => first i bought a 38R that had a p2p of over 21 inches, i sold that one to a friend, and then i bought a 36R which has exactly 20 inch p2p.

16. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Normally, size 36 and below have p2p that are different from the larger sizes. Most (all?) of the size 34s I have seen have a p2p of about 19". The size 36s are about 20". These p2p measurements are a little larger than we would expect based on our experience with the larger sizes--38 and above.

17. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Ah, that's new information for me, gonna have to start looking at a 34 then :)

Do you know if this is consistent through the years from WWII to the seveties?

18. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I have seen, and measured, size 34 coats from the the seventies and eighties only (there may have been a sixties in there, as well). These all measured 19" p2p. An odd anomaly. I would think (an educated guess) that the WWII coats are sized about the same, but perhaps a little smaller than the post war models.

19. mjolnir

mjolnir Active Member

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a vintage peacoat off of eBay. 1974 Pembroke size 36R in Melton wool according to the tag. It was an absolute steal. Perfect condition shell and looks relatively unworn. The button hole stitching is in pristine condition so I assume if it was worn it wasn't much.

Below are some pictures and I would like some feedback on the fit from the knowledgeable people in this massive thread. I think it fits well in the body and the length. The hem is about 1" under my butt. The shoulders are a little large but the biggest issue (I think) is the sleeve length and width. To me they are massive. My thoughts are to get .5" to 1" off the sleeve length and then have them slim down the arms. The armholes are a bit lower feeling than I expected but nothing too bad. The tailoring may not sit well with some of the purist but I want a contemporary fit with classic style and I think slimming the arms will hopefully accomplish that.

My measurements are:

~37.5" - 38" Chest
    ~ 17.5" Shoulders (potentially closer to 17.25")
    ~ 23.5 - 24" Sleeve (I can't remember exactly this one, haha)

Pictures:

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/fDilt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  20. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

Has anyone tried on this pea coat from Aquascutum? I really like the look of it. Although, no store stocks it here in Stockholm, and I'd rather not want to pay for the return shipping.

If you happen to own this coat: would you mind posting a couple of pictures, please?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014