1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. RockyRabbit

RockyRabbit Member

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice on where to look for a peacoat:
    I'm looking for a wool coat, that will be good for Canadian winters. Looking for a single breasted coat, which is preferably around 3/4 length (between hips and knees?) I have very broad shoulders, which often requires me to buy a large jacket and then taper. I'm about 6'0 with a muscular build, and am having a huge problem finding any pea coats that would fit how I like them right now.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Peacoats are double breasted garments and not particularly warm for Canadian winters. You might do better with a Filson Double Mackinaw. It has two layers of insulation (100% virgin wool) over the shoulders and yoke for climates such as yours. Their standard Mackinaw has a single layer, and is less expensive. They are waterproof enough to keep the snow off. The length is given as 31" compared to a peacoat at 32" in a size 42. I don't own one, but have heard others swear by them. Here is the link: http://www.filson.com/products/double-mackinaw-cruiser-alaska-fit.10041.html

3. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Does anyone here have a Buzz Rickson peacoat in size 34? Debating picking one up but want to ensure the fit first..

Related inquiry: where is the best/cheapest way to pick up a BR Pea? Rakuten? US/UK retailers don't seem to sell size 34 so I'm guessing Japan is the way to go.

4. Gent Esq

Gent Esq Member

I have a long black wool overcoat, and I am searching for a shorter coat to wear with suits and sport coats on days that are not as frigid. I've looked at some car coats, but they can tend to be a bit boring in their styling. I generally thought of the peacoat as a little too casual for my needs, but I ran across the below peacoat by Ralph Lauren. Maybe it's just because they picture it with a tie, but it looks a little more on the formal side than many peacoats. I took a chance on it and ordered it in navy as pictured below. It just came in today, and it is longer in the hem and sleeves than my suit jacket which of course is an absolute must. Obviously, when the bib is zipped all the way up, it will cover the tie and give the appearance of wearing a sweater under the coat.

With all of that said, what are your thoughts on this for suits / sport coats attire? Too causal? Should I return and go with a more traditional car coat? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. ennui

ennui Senior member

I have one in size 36. Fits well and is one of my favorite pieces. I got mine from History Preservation. I thought they also sold 34.

6. Spaghettimatt

Oh shit. You're right! History Preservation does sell them. I wonder why they're $500 there and like $800 at Self Edge and British retailers?

7. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

I bought a nice vintage peacoat but sadly it is too large for me. I bought it in Finland so I guess it could be Finnish but I'm not sure. I don't know if the buttons are original. Any idea of date or country? Pit-to-pit measures 22" so maybe size 42? Sorry about the bad pictures. It is hard to see but it has peak lapels. Besides that and the brown buttons, it is a pretty typical peacoat. Center vent, heavy cloth lining in sleeves (army green) and pockets (navy blue), no corduroy. Thick and heavy.

Measurements:

Pit-to-pit: 22"
    Shoulder: 19.5"
    Back: 31"
    Sleeve: 23.5"
    Armpit-sleeve: 16.5"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

It isn't US. Don't know what it is.

9. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

^Thanks. I'll have to do some research on european army coats.

I bought another coat recently but I haven't received it yet. It is a 1945 USN peacoat, size 34. The sellers measurements were p2p: 18,5" ("flat and relaxed"), sleeve: a little under 25", length: 30".

My chest measures 36" and I'm around 6' tall. I've found that most 36 coats are a bit too roomy for me and my shoulders are narrow. Anything with shoulders over 17" tends to look bad.

I'm hoping the p2p is actually more like 19" to give me at least a bit of room. The length is a bit on the short side but I think it will work. The sleeves seem fine.

If the p2p is really 18,5" (is that common for a 34?) what are the chances it will fit?

10. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Most post war size 34 peacoats measure19" p2p. I imagine the WWII coats are just a bit smaller. It ought to be a decent fit in the chest, but the body length and sleeve length probably be too short. My wife is 5'4" at 118 lbs. She wears a size 34 peacoat. It is a little large on her, but she can wear it OK.

11. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Sell it to me [​IMG]

No really, would be great to see fit pics as i look for one too...

12. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

It will take at least a week to get fit pics. I measured my Gloverall Reefer (sz. 36) and the sleeve is also around 24.5" and it ends below my wrist. The back length of the 1945 coat is on the short side but *should* cover my butt. The back of the Gloverall is 31.5"-31.75" which is more than enough. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

13. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll try to get some better ones of the fit - this is mine, a Saint Laurent I bought about a year and a half ago.

I was looking for something not too warm - this one isn't wool. It's from their permanent collection, the cut of it is slim and boxy, I think it is a great coat for spring/fall and sometime winter with some layering. I wear it out in the rain all the time - well, I pretty much wear it all the time, actually, and it's a very well-made jacket.

It's a dark navy (marine) blue, which is hard to see in these pics. I'm 6' exactly, 165lbs. I take a size 50 in this one as it's fitted in that Saint Laurent slim cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. bwhli

bwhli Member

I have two mint condition WW2 coats - size 34 and 36 for sale. PM me for more info!

15. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Does anyone here have the billy reid bond peacoat?

If so, can they comment on the long term durability of it?

16. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

1945 Naval Clothing Factory size 34 fitpic, thick-ish breton sweater underneath:
    [​IMG]
    Due to my droopy shoulder, one arm hangs lower than the other, I guess I need to get the sleeves lengthened a bit. Luckily there is more than enough material to do that. I'm not sure if I'm going to compensate for the difference in arm length by adding different length to each sleeve. I'm worried that would feel wrong even though it most likely would look better.

Sleeve length aside, I love it.

17. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Rather than a droopy shoulder, it appears you may have a bit of scoliosis going on, which causes you to stand a little crooked and, as a result, the shoulder hangs a little lower.

I would have the sleeves lengthened as, in my opinion, they are just a little short.

18. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

Yeah scoliosis is the cause.

19. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

I bought a brand new Spiewak peacoat. Everything fits perfect except the sleeves on my short arms. The end of the sleeves reaches past my thumb.

Can someone please recommend me a good tailor in NYC area? Manhattan preferably.

20. Spaghettimatt

There are no tailors in Manhattan.