1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. sssurvey

sssurvey Member

Hello everyone, I just got this peacoat last week, not sure it fits. Can anyone take a look? thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

^ might be a touch baggy in the arms, but looks good overall. I'd keep if fit is your only concern.

3. sssurvey

sssurvey Member

thanks, yes, the arm, ahh i hate it.
    @Gauss17

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Looks great to me. Get the arms tapered if it bothers you that much. Where is it from? Looks like a Fidelity maybe.

5. sssurvey

sssurvey Member

@Spaghettimatt thanks for the reply, its a brand called "bow street station". Dont have the coat with me right now, but the logo is the same look like this. that sleeve does bother me TT
    [​IMG]

6. Spaghettimatt

Right. I mean... the baggy sleeves thing is a problem with Sterlingwear as well, so you may not have too many options for low/mid-range 3 button peas without baggy sleeves.

7. sssurvey

sssurvey Member

@Spaghettimatt
    I agree with you. Maybe thats how they designed it. I dont really know lot about peacoats.

8. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Peacoats should cover the butt. Not sure yours does. Also looks a bit full in the torso.

9. sssurvey

sssurvey Member

@Peacoat Thanks, it covers, but only about half. It does look full, dont like it much.

10. medici

medici Member

120lb and 5'6 and I don't really know which would flatter the body more. I'll probably just be wearing sweater & jeans or dress shirt & dress pants with this. I searched styleforum but I haven't found any posts on single breasted vs no buttons. Has anyone had experience buying these single breasted and no button sterlingwear coats?

[​IMG]Not sure how 4 buttons is going to look

[​IMG]

11. cortman

cortman New Member

I just got a Sterlingwear Authentic peacoat from Barre surplus. Obviously, it was gotten pretty cheap ($130) as opposed to the $260 that Sterlingwear themselves are asking. Barre claimed it is a navy blue coat, but that the navy blue is so dark as to almost appear black. I got it, and sure enough, it looks as black as black can get. I really want a navy blue coat, not black, but really don't want to return this one and pay full price for a blue one from Sterlingwear. THERFORE;

tl;dr- I am wondering if there is some safe way to lighten the color (assuming that it is indeed navy-that-looks-black) or any simple way to give it a blue hue.

12. Spaghettimatt

The jacket you ordered is almost certainly the proper "Navy" Navy blue. Take it outside in the bright sunlight and look. You'll notice that it is just a dark, midnight navy, not black. If you order a Navy from Sterlingwear (e.g., the Authentic or the other 80/20 blends) this is what you will get, unless you order a 100% wool version (e.g., the Navigator) in which case the Navy will be lighter (different wool). But note that the 100% wool that Sterlingwear shills on its Navigator coats itself is a weak, flimsy, soft wool as opposed to a proper rough melton. Your call.

Probably impossible to lighten the coat you have though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  13. Spaghettimatt

Those are car coats. Just buy a peacoat, dude. But if you must, I like the second minimalist one better.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  14. cortman

cortman New Member

Interesting, thanks for clarifying that. It makes sense. I was thrown off because I had just tried a Sterlingwear Mariner coat (which I returned because I got the wrong size) in Navy Blue, and it was indeed much lighter.
    I also concur with the quality of wool on the different coats- the Authentic is stiffer, heavier, and very dense. The other thing I like much better about the authentic is the fleece/satin lining- the Mariner has a quilted nylon lining that sounds like you're wearing a garbage bag whenever you move.
    Would anyone else know of a way that I could safely, slightly lighten the color. though?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  15. bullet magnet

bullet magnet New Member

Hey fellas,

Just got myself a peacoat. It's 42R Navy issued Sterlingwear of Boston. Sleeves are actually getting shortened a touch right now ($18)

I got the coat on ebay for $45 + $12 shipping so with alterations I'll be into it for $75. Not bad!

Wanted to get everyone's opinion. These are the shots before alterations.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Looks very good i think, if you get the arms done, and maybe a wash and press? It looks a bit wrinkly. [​IMG]

17. hens

hens Active Member

I'd get the sleave taken up and also the cuffs taken in slightly, fit through the body looks great though.

Handled a Real McCoy peacoat when I was in Japan recently, damn they are nice, extremely heavy duty in feel whilst still being a nice cut. I'd have definitely bought it if I wasn't over on weight.

18. Spaghettimatt

On that note, does anyone have any experience with the Real McCoy vs. Buzz Rickson peacoat? Do they fit differently? From what I heard the BR is just a bit shorter. The lapels on the McCoy seem a little different as well.

19. hens

hens Active Member

I found the buzz rickson to be a little looser in the body at the same size. Can't comment on length as I didn't compare them at the same time. I will say though, that the longer of the 2 Real McCoy peacoats was slimmer in the waist.

20. bullet magnet

bullet magnet New Member

Got the sleeves shortened a bit...still haven't gotten it dry cleaned but that's next. Nice and warm coat...I certainly need a scarf to go with it. Wore long johns with this earlier in the week with temps in the teens and stayed warm. Coat is very heavy but I certainly notice an extra look from the ladies when wearing it. (certainly to the dismay of my gf haha) Tried it out with just a button down and jeans and then tossed on a new brooks brothers shirt and tie to dress it up. Very versatile!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]