• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Potatowned

Reaction score

I would like to see the measurement on the 38. Please lay the coat out on a flat surface, chest up. Pull the fabric tight and then let it relax. Take the measuremt across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the opposite armpit. It should measure about 20" plus a fraction, and will probably be about 20.25" plus or minus .25". Sometimes there will be a jacket with a non standard chest size, but most (95%) fall in this range.

Alrighty, so my chest measured 42" at the widest point, moving the measurement just down slightly brings the chest measurement down accordingly. My chest measures 38" at my *ahem* nipples. I can wear a sweater under the coat no problem, but then again, I am used to wearing tighter, fitted clothing.

The jacket measures just under 21" across. I would have to say it is about 20.75".

roots1976

Reaction score
Peacoat, just ordered a Schott 740N pea coat in size 42. As soon as it arrives over here in Germany I'll leave a review and will post the actual measures, so others will be able to use them as point of reference in the future.

Thanks for all your input!

Maerhyl

Reaction score
I received my peacoat from vintage trends. The measurement is different than what was on the Website. Its a tagged 42R and they said 42 p2p. I measured 22.5 p2p.

I am 44 in the chest so it fits with room for a sweater. Its a bit roomy but shoulders look ok. Overall it feels blocky but I don't have much experience with pea coats. However, the way the coat drapes and falls, it looks nice with a slight taper.

Also, the sleeves on this thing are HUGE and it has very big and stiff shoulder pads. Hmm. I'm not convinced. Vintage trends has a very strict return policy (48 hours).

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score
P2P of 22.5" is exactly what I would think a size 42 peacoat would measure. You have to watch the sellers. They will give out information based on the stated tag size, and that isn't what you want. You want the actually p2p, which isn't what they gave you.

I think the fit is fine. The sleeves are the proper length--wouldn't want them any shorter, so going with a smaller size wouldn't work for you. The overall length is fine, from what I can see, and the coat seems to fit fine through the body. You appear to be only wearing a Teeshirt, so that will make difference in the fit. When you put on a proper shirt and a sweater for winter wear, it should fill the coat out some more. It will also take up the room in the sleeves, which I don't notice as being too large; they look about right to me. Nor do the shoulders look too big.

I vote to keep it, but then yours is the only vote that matters.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Peacoat, you have been very helpful. I like it all things considered so, I'm keeping it.

I think that is the right decision. I wish you would measure your chest again at the widest part, right at the nipples, keeping the tape even in the back as well as in the front. A 44 chest should be a trim fit with a p2p of 22.+ -. I am just wondering if your chest measurement might be a bit off. The p2p compared to the stated chest size of 42 is dead on.

Potatowned

Reaction score
Peacoat, it seems that my 38R runs on the larger end of the spectrum. I posted my measurements a few posts ago... It sounds like a 38R should fit me nice and slim, but the 38R still seems a bit bulky to me. Is it just the one I have? P2P was about 20.75".

Peacoat

Reaction score

Peacoat, it seems that my 38R runs on the larger end of the spectrum. I posted my measurements a few posts ago... It sounds like a 38R should fit me nice and slim, but the 38R still seems a bit bulky to me. Is it just the one I have? P2P was about 20.75".

20.75" is just a little large. I would expect a size 38 to measure 20.25" to 20.50". That's why I recommend the buyer get an accurate p2p prior to purchase.

This peacoat with a p2p of 20.75 will fit between a size 38 and a size 39 (which isn't made). It will be a large fit for a size 38.

When measuring your chest, the tape should be at the widest point of the chest--usually at the nipples, with the tape level in both the front and back. If your chest measures 38", the coat will probably be just a little loose without a sweater. During winter nights in Irvine, you probably won't need a sweater, as the peacoat alone should be sufficient. If you don't wear a sweater under the coat, a size 36 (p2p of 19.25") would give you a tighter fit. Although if you have relatively long arms, a 36 might be a bit short in the sleeves for you. Just like life, proper fitting of a peacoat, or any outerwear, is a series of trade offs.

You might be able to shrink the body a bit by getting the wool wet (saturated) with a spray bottle and letting it dry naturally. I have used this method on a couple of my leather jackets that were a bit too large at the abdomen. I even put one in the dryer on low after saturating the body. Never had to do it with a peacoat, however. As the wool has a bit of natural water proofing, it may take a bit of spraying before you get it saturated.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to those Japanese peacoats that were so popular some time ago? Am I out of the loop here? I remember there was a huge thread on them

Maerhyl

Reaction score
I think that is the right decision. I wish you would measure your chest again at the widest part, right at the nipples, keeping the tape even in the back as well as in the front. A 44 chest should be a trim fit with a p2p of 22.+ -. I am just wondering if your chest measurement might be a bit off. The p2p compared to the stated chest size of 42 is dead on.

I measured myself again: if I measure at the fullest part of my chest (mid pectoral) I'm 44. I'm muscular so my chest is rounded.
If I measure at the nipples I'm 42.5 but that is the bottom of my chest curve. I usually pick 42 for suits and jackets but everything is starting to be snug now.

Last edited:

Maerhyl

Reaction score
^ I think the same thing too. I can't get over the boxy look. The shoulders are very straight and propped up.

I am probably going to look at other options.

I'm looking at Spiewak, Michael Kors, Jcrew and Diesel Wittor.

Last edited:

styleep

Reaction score

thinking of taking off the shoulder pads on my sterlingwear because it makes my shoulders look crazy huge/boxy

yay or nay?

Nay. If you have very broad shoulders maybe consider another peacoat without one? Removing it could be quite tricky and may affect the dimensions of the coat.

Panzer

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone recommend a pea coat similar to the Balmain F/W 10 one? A fitted pea coat with big lapels basically! Something a lot cheaper would that that would be nice! I guess it wouldn't need to have gold buttons as I can just put them on myself? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics