1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. runners n jeans

runners n jeans Member

Thanks for the pics and the measurements! You saved me from ordering all three of those coats in those same exact sizes.

I'm with you on the big caboose: center vent jackets also flare on me too!

2. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

Is it easy for a tailor to tighten the arm sleeves on a vintage peacoat? I find that the length is usually good, but the sleeves are too wide and big.

3. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I think I asked you this last year, but is the Spec a midnight navy or black?

4. nautikal

nautikal Well-Known Member

Ok the clarification about the seams is helpful. So what I measured should be correct +/- 1/8"

Glad to have helped. What is your chest size and height/weight? Let me know if you end up finding a peacoat. None of the major brands seem to have coats that are small enough for someone with a 34" chest, and the Sterlingwear's just don't seem to be cut right for me (arms too big, shoulders too padded and square, etc.).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

In most light, the current issue Mil-Spec appears black. But, sometimes, with the right kind of light, there are hints of blue.

6. rskimhs

rskimhs Well-Known Member

finally got the right fit (i think?)..ordered the slim fit (DU704I) small from Schott..i think for anyone with 38" chest or smaller, gotta go for another jacket because Schott sizing runs very big. I tried both 36 and 34 before trying this one.

definitely lighter and not as thick as the 32oz Melton but still warm enough for me

. [​IMG]

7. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. Might be expensive, though, as it is probably time consuming.

Probably he would taper from the armholes down to the cuff. Doubt that he would be able to do anything about the size of the armholes. I think that tapering the diameter of the sleeves, starting at the armholes, would help quite a bit, though.

I just had the sleeves lengthened at the cuff on my original size 40 vintage peaccat. He let them out about an inch. The cost was $44, so doing the entire sleeve would probably be more.

I wish I had done it years ago, but I just never thought to look in the cuff to see if there was additional material there. Anyway, that coat was misplaced for a number of years, so it really made no difference.

8. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Deleted a duplicate post.

9. runners n jeans

runners n jeans Member

I have a 34" chest, 5'4"/130 lbs.

I took some pictures of the Gap cropped peacoat (navy) and the classic peacoat (charcoal) both x-small. You can see the center vent on the classic peacoat flaring out.

Any comments on the fit otherwise? The jean pockets hang low but I can tell you the cropped peacoat doesn't quite cover my entire rear while the classic peacoat does.

Measurements are:
    • Gap cropped peacoat, xs:
    • chest p2p: 20 3/8"
    • Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/2"
    • Sleeve (from pit seam): 18 3/8"
    • Length (rear excluding collar): 26 3/4"

• Gap classic peacoat, xs:
    • chest p2p: 20 7/8"
    • Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/4"
    • Sleeve (from pit seam): 17 3/4"
    • Length (rear excluding collar): 28 3/8"

Cropped:
    [​IMG]

Classic:

[​IMG]

10. monsen86

monsen86 Member

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I intend to make it a difficult one.

I recently been looking for a peacoat and had my mind set on the J. Crew Bayswater peacoat. After reading that I rather should get a authentic US navy peacoat, Sterlingwear or a Schott I'm pretty torn and can't make up a decision.

After checking out a youtube video about a Brooks Saddles commercial I saw a peacoat that I really liked, so if anybody could give me any detail or knows what kind of brand it is I would be forever grateful.

It's maybe a long shot but it beats roaming the Internet forever looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

found a peacoat on ebay. seller says its from the 50s/60s but there is no tag anywhere apparently. the lapels are bigger like the post wwII ones (according to peacoat's aricle on fedoraluonge) tried to figure out as much information as possible using that article. but there's also no vent in the back. couldn't find any information in the article about changes to vents (if any) so was wondering if you could chime in on this peacoat? thanks.

12. six1101

six1101 Member

Thanks, Peacoat. I'll look for a 19" P2P.

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

OK, you got the collar right. Now undo that top button.

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

Dammit. Top and bottom buttons unbuttoned! MIddle button buttoned only! How many times do I have to say this?

15. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Don't know that I have seen an issue coat with no vent. Send me a link to the auction in a PM and I will take a look at it for you.

16. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Looks like it might be a Lost Worlds out of NYC.

1 person likes this.
  17. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Robert: Maybe he lives where it is cold, and all buttons need to be buttoned? Or maybe the fashion look is changing? Plus, the only way to determine if a peacoat fits is to have the buttons all buttoned. It's tough keeping up with the rapidly changing fashion world. It will be cold soon enough for you there in the mountains. PC

18. nautikal

nautikal Well-Known Member

It's a functioning jacket, not a fashion accessory. How is a peacoat supposed to keep you warm if its mostly unbuttoned?

19. monsen86

monsen86 Member

That is not me. Read it.