• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

werdswerf

Reaction score
Apologies if this doesn't belong here, but I'm selling my navy TOJ peacoat. It's a size small, and it's never been worn. Let me know if you're interested - if you normally wear a size 36 suit jacket and don't want to wait 6-10 weeks for a new TOJ piece, this is a great opportunity.

Maerhyl

Reaction score
I thought I would add this photo to the thread. I believe that Ryan Gosling is rocking a Schott 740 peacoat here. Not bad.

Edit: I tried a Schott peacoat and the one in this picture is definitely not a Schott. This is probably a Fidelity, Spiewak or some other custom made coat.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea where to purchase Schott online (other than their website)?

Dima

Reaction score
Hello.
I was looking for double breasted coat for some time and have no luck in finding unexpensive one that i liked. Decided to try a peacoat. I am not tall (177cm, about 5'10) but don't like it to be short. 33-35 inches from BOC would be nice. The idea was to get one in Large and take the sleeves up (that not seems to be difficult). The problem is that here in Russia we do not have peacoats and I have never seen it in real. For me it's hard to say would it be balanced and good-looking after alterations or not. Need a simple advice, thanks.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hello.
I was looking for double breasted coat for some time and have no luck in finding unexpensive one that i liked. Decided to try a peacoat. I am not tall (177cm, about 5'10) but don't like it to be short. 33-35 inches from BOC would be nice. The idea was to get one in Large and take the sleeves up (that not seems to be difficult). The problem is that here in Russia we do not have peacoats and I have never seen it in real. For me it's hard to say would it be balanced and good-looking after alterations or not. Need a simple advice, thanks.
Hi Dima, welcome to the Forum. Your best bet, to get started, is to read my article on US Navy issue peacoats. There is a section on sizing toward the end of the article which will be useful for whatever type of peacoat you decide to get. If you have no interest in the vintage Navy peacoats, you can just skip most of the article and go directly to the section on sizing. The link to the article appears in my signature line below. The Russian Navy has peacoats for its enlisted sailors and Bridgecoats for it officers, just like many of the other navies in the world. I have attempted to post a picture of a Russian peacoat, but I don't know if it will post or not. This might be your best bet if you can find one locally in a military surplus store. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them, if I can.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, can anyone recommend a pea coat similar to the Balmain F/W 10 one? A fitted pea coat with big lapels basically! Something a lot cheaper would that that would be nice! I guess it wouldn't need to have gold buttons as I can just put them on myself? Thanks

You got a picture? I don't know this one off hand. :p

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score

Fidelity:
shawl%20grey%20lo.jpg
Fidelity%20Navy%20lo.jpg

RRL:
pPOLO2-10912181_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

Last one is actually wool-lined corduroy.

where did you find these fidelity pea coats?

also, is the uniqlo +j peacoat worth $200+? am i better off getting a sterlingwear or fidelity peacoat?

If i usually wear a 36 in suit size, is the 36 the size to get for both fidelity and sterlingwear if i wanted a trim silhouette?

Last edited:

Dima

Reaction score
Your best bet, to get started, is to read my article on US Navy issue peacoats. There is a section on sizing toward the end of the article which will be useful for whatever type of peacoat you decide to get. If you have no interest in the vintage Navy peacoats, you can just skip most of the article and go directly to the section on sizing.
Thanks for answering me. I've read your article twice (first when found this forum thread, and the second is before making previous post), have found some interesting and useful things there. With my 39" chest it seems to be 36 size (like most of my coats, just some of them are 38). Have not finally decided yet what to choose: vintage Navy or some modern versions from Sterlingwear, Fidelity, etc. Incline more to vintage one.

My original question was about long sized peacoat for a mid height guy. I was going to buy long because I want it to be a bit longer then just covering my bottom. Does it have the same opening at the top of the chest as regular? the same lapel length? Don't want it to look unbalanced. Is it worth trying?

This might be your best bet if you can find one locally in a military surplus store.
If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them, if I can.
There are no such kind of stores nearby:) Anyway I am very familiar with buying via internet, so getting something from USA won't be a problem.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

where did you find these fidelity pea coats?
also, is the uniqlo +j peacoat worth $200+? am i better off getting a sterlingwear or fidelity peacoat?
If i usually wear a 36 in suit size, is the 36 the size to get for both fidelity and sterlingwear if i wanted a trim silhouette?

The Fidelity peacoats I posted can be found at Epaulet in NY (epauletshop.com) or in Japan. From what I've read, you would very likely get a Medium in the Fidelity peacoat, as those are cut for a Japanese market -- very slim. Epaulet's a forum affiliate, so go ask him. I know Blackbird used to carry Fidelity coats as well.

No experience w. the Uniqlo.

I've found that civilian Sterlingwear coats do not really lend themselves to a trim silhouette. The shoulders are really built up and boxy.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Thanks for answering me. I've read your article twice (first when found this forum thread, and the second is before making previous post), have found some interesting and useful things there. With my 39" chest it seems to be 36 size (like most of my coats, just some of them are 38). Have not finally decided yet what to choose: vintage Navy or some modern versions from Sterlingwear, Fidelity, etc. Incline more to vintage one.

My original question was about long sized peacoat for a mid height guy. I was going to buy long because I want it to be a bit longer then just covering my bottom. Does it have the same opening at the top of the chest as regular? the same lapel length? Don't want it to look unbalanced. Is it worth trying?

There are no such kind of stores nearby:) Anyway I am very familiar with buying via internet, so getting something from USA won't be a problem.
Whatever you decide to get, ask the seller to give you a pit to pit measurement, and then use what you have learned from the sizing section to find a good fit. If you get a vintage or a current civilian Sterlingwear, and you want a tighter fit, you might go with a 36 long so you will have the proper length in the sleeves and the body. Don't try to make the peacoat longer than it was designed or it will look a little odd. The Authentic Sterlingwear has just about the same p2p as the vintage coats, so the fit should be about the same. For a size 36 in a vintage coat, I would expect the p2p to be about 19.5". So if you want to size down for a tighter fit, that is about what you will be looking for. I don't like to go by the stated size as the manufacturers vary so much in their interpretation of what size to place on a garment. Just keep in mind that if you size down that much, a sweater probably won't comfortably fit under the coat.

J BAILEY

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a couple quick questions if you'd be so kind:

Were actual Navy peacoats ever issued in black? (I've read vintage is the way to go, but colour is kind of a dealbreaker for me.)

Who manufactures peacoats for the Canadian Navy? I thought one of these might be easier to find here in Canada, but my Google-fu is turning up nothing and the local army surplus store had no info.

Any general recommendations for places in Canada to try on peacoats (apart from the aforementioned army surplus)? Of contemporary coats, I like the Schott design the best (especially the collar), but they sadly aren't available in any Canadian stores.

Thanks!

Peacoat

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, Bailey.

Peacoats after 1979 are issued in black. The wool isn't as nice, but the sizing is about the same as the vintage coats. Before 1980 peacoats were a deep midnight blue, so dark they looked black, until one saw them in sunlight. A very attractive color. A deeper and richer color than plain black.

If you want a Schott, they may sell online, or if they don't, Gail will know who will. Gail is the answer person for the company on the message board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads