McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

eat, love, prey?

I haven't read the book, but I think the lesson is this: to find true happiness in life, you need more square footage than 98% of earth's population lives with, and you need to make sure they know you have it.

2. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

I blame all of this on the Levitt brothers. Fuckers.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

I blame all of this on the Levitt brothers. Fuckers.

Yes, but it bought Bill Levitt one hellova lifestyle:

[​IMG]

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

And didn't Bernie Madoff get his start installing lawn sprinklers in Levittown?

5. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

Yes, but it bought Bill Levitt one hellova lifestyle:​

A man after AF's heart:
    "No man who owns his own house and lot can be a communist," he once said. "He has too much to do."

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I'm going to have to disagree about the cement board siding. My house originally had shiplap wood siding but the previous owners messed it up so bad, it was unsalvagable (God knows I tried). While I think the original siding is preferable, I put Hardie Board on my house for a couple of reasons and I really struggled with the decision.

1) It is fire and termite resistant and in the hot summers aids in insulation.

2) This was my biggest reason. The wood of today is not the same as the wood from before. Wood from 75 years ago is much more dense. A stud in my house has about 33 rings that can be counted from the 2" side of a 2x4. A stud bought from Home Depot has about 7 and weighs about the same as balsa wood [​IMG]

I did get some real wood shiplap siding to put in one small place that isn't even exposed directly to rain and the wood warped. I remember reading that cement board has actually been around for a while (~100 years). It used to be used with asbestos and now uses cellulose fibers to hold it together.

3) It holds paint very well. Paint today is also not the same as from before. Formulations have made it less "toxic" but you need much of it to make it last as long. If you want to properly re-prep your house every 5 years to repaint it, a newly painted surface should look brand new still.

4) It doesn't have to look bad just because it isn't wood, but for the love of God don't try to pretend it's wood. I ordered the smooth cement board and actually had to special order from the factory because it was such an "unusual" request.

5) This is more of a side note, but the cost is actually a little bit more than actual wood.

Not all newer materials are bad, just 95% of them. I'd say the following are okay to use and have a purpose (off the top of my head):

1) Insulation
    2) Vapor barriers
    3) Cement board, you can also use it under bathroom floors and shower stalls behind the tile. The bathroom in my house when I bought it had dryrot all around.
    4) Paralam for large spanning joists
    5) Plywood
    6) Electrical wiring
    7) Some types of caulking, putty, sealers, etc.

Finally a sane post. Well done.

7. StephenHero

[​IMG]

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

A man after AF's heart:
    Well you know what they say. Keep 'em busy ... keep 'em occupied ... keep 'em down on the farm ... and provid 'em plenty of entertainment fodder disgused as "news." No real issues mind you ... just make-believe issues.

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Well you know what they say. Keep 'em busy ... keep 'em occupied ... keep 'em down on the farm ... and provid 'em plenty of entertainment fodder disgused as "news." No real issues mind you ... just make-believe issues.

Jealous because he has a bigger boat than you? [​IMG]

10. StephenHero

Do people really not see the distinction in quality between these two groups of photos? It has nothing to do with the wealth that is intended to be conveyed. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

12. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

Jealous because he has a bigger boat than you? [​IMG]

Had. He died bankrupt.

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Does the cement board in your neighborhood have a smooth or faux "rough sawn colonial" woodgrain surface? As an interesting side note, while my house was under construction, some kids accidentally lit my backyard on fire on the 4th of July while I wasn't there. FD stopped it about 4 ft from my house..

14. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

15. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

[​IMG]

I can't believe people chose Levitt over Wright.