1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

That was fun, though I disagree with some of the popular opinion. For some of those, it was difficult to tell from one view. I wouldn't call an older large house a McMansion, nor would I call a very designed contemporary house a McMansion. To me McMansion means unnecessarily large, generally taking up too much of the lot and of a gaudy and boring cookie-cutter style.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Almost none of those are McMansions. McMansions have huge double-height entryways and are all in very similar styles, usually on small acreage and definitely with most of the trees cut down for maximum visibility. Usually also have very tall roofs and/or lots of extra roof lines when not needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

^Those houses pictured above are definately McMansions. I don't think they look that bad, but consider 80 of them lined up on a barren former pasture and there lies the problem.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

here's a game: go cruise around google-earth looking for mcmansion neighborhoods. why? i dunno.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

To me, one thing that characterizes a McMansion, and more specifically the plague that they can be, is that they don't fit in with their neighborhood. So an entire neighborhood of those pictured above, doesn't seem to out of place to me. We have any number of those developments in the DC/Balto area. To me, the problem is when a house in a neighborhood is renovated (or just razed) to be that big. All of the sudden you do have what seems to be a mansion in among smaller homes.

Even if I had the money and even if it's in a development full of 'em, I'm still not buying one, btw. I find any house that large to simply be too large. My gf and I watch a number of these house-hunting shows and we're amazed by what people think is "too small". I grew up in a 1300 sq ft house where my sisters shared a bedroom. These days that seems to be unbearable for the parents.

bob

8. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

9. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

11. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

Interesting. I would have thought someone named Mr. Checks would have heritage that was, well, Czech. [​IMG]

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

12. faustian bargain

to me, square footage alone does not a mcmansion make. the term implies a mass-produced aesthetic, whether or not it is actually a tract home. true, it has to be large, but it has also to look large, and to have features and materials that suggest the people making the decisions couldn't be bothered with thinking about such frivolities as style with integrity, or landscape, or good taste, or what have you.

/andrew

13. stach

stach Senior member

N.Y. Times is now writing about McCondos -

14. faustian bargain

I see that happening with all the so-called "lofts" going up in suburban and exurban areas. it's just wierd.

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

There is a sucker born every minute. These days, a sucker can be found filling with more useless shit the garage of a house made of PVC siding, wood chips pressed with glue, and saran wrap on a slab of inferior concrete. It's not called McMansion. It's called sort of home. In the sense that a hunting dog is sort of vicious.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

There is a sucker born every minute. These days, a sucker can be found filling with more useless shit the garage of a house made of PVC siding, wood chips pressed with glue, and saran wrap on a slab of inferior concrete. It's not called McMansion. It's called sort of home. In the sense that a hunting dog is sort of vicious.

Wood chips pressed with glue leave more trees standing than roll-planing logs for conventional plywood and an order of magnitude more than planking.

Saran wrap, depending on application either lowers heat losses by convection, saving tonnes of coal and curies of radioactivity, or blocks vapor, preventing use of fungicides to kill the mold that makes people sick.

Inferior concrete prevents further water infiltration and even structural deficiencies that can lead to building failure.

Unnaturally smooth wallboard virtually eliminated horsehair in walls and slashed sillicosis in plasterers.

Common connotation for a hunting dog is a bird dog, which is less vicious than your average cat.

It may be a McMansion, it may be a real home where people grow, love, and learn.

(All courtesy of someone in a rural area that is feeling the unwanted invasion of McMansions, and who grew up in a house noted on an 1888 map, that was built on inferior stone foundations with horsehair plaster walls that curved naturally, leaky windows resulting in GWs of lost thermal energy, and I-don't-even-want-to-guess how many cedars chopped into thousands of irregular wall and roof shingles)

Regards,
    Huntsman

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Like certain Rodin sculptures, McMansions eschew aestheic function for scale.

The quality, however, is more akin to a Kostabi painting.

18. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Wood chips pressed with glue leave more trees standing than roll-planing logs for conventional plywood and an order of magnitude more than planking.

Saran wrap, depending on application either lowers heat losses by convection, saving tonnes of coal and curies of radioactivity, or blocks vapor, preventing use of fungicides to kill the mold that makes people sick.

Inferior concrete prevents further water infiltration and even structural deficiencies that can lead to building failure.

Unnaturally smooth wallboard virtually eliminated horsehair in walls and slashed sillicosis in plasterers.

Common connotation for a hunting dog is a bird dog, which is less vicious than your average cat.

It may be a McMansion, it may be a real home where people grow, love, and learn.

(All courtesy of someone in a rural area that is feeling the unwanted invasion of McMansions, and who grew up in a house noted on an 1888 map, that was built on inferior stone foundations with horsehair plaster walls that curved naturally, leaky windows resulting in GWs of lost thermal energy, and I-don't-even-want-to-guess how many cedars chopped into thousands of irregular wall and roof shingles)

Regards,
    Huntsman

Every minute.

19. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Interesting. I would have thought someone named Mr. Checks would have heritage that was, well, Czech. [​IMG]

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Where're you folks from? Springfield? Great. First time here? Hey, is this thing on? Hello?