McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

That was fun, though I disagree with some of the popular opinion. For some of those, it was difficult to tell from one view. I wouldn't call an older large house a McMansion, nor would I call a very designed contemporary house a McMansion. To me McMansion means unnecessarily large, generally taking up too much of the lot and of a gaudy and boring cookie-cutter style.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Almost none of those are McMansions. McMansions have huge double-height entryways and are all in very similar styles, usually on small acreage and definitely with most of the trees cut down for maximum visibility. Usually also have very tall roofs and/or lots of extra roof lines when not needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

^Those houses pictured above are definately McMansions. I don't think they look that bad, but consider 80 of them lined up on a barren former pasture and there lies the problem.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

here's a game: go cruise around google-earth looking for mcmansion neighborhoods. why? i dunno.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

To me, one thing that characterizes a McMansion, and more specifically the plague that they can be, is that they don't fit in with their neighborhood. So an entire neighborhood of those pictured above, doesn't seem to out of place to me. We have any number of those developments in the DC/Balto area. To me, the problem is when a house in a neighborhood is renovated (or just razed) to be that big. All of the sudden you do have what seems to be a mansion in among smaller homes.

Even if I had the money and even if it's in a development full of 'em, I'm still not buying one, btw. I find any house that large to simply be too large. My gf and I watch a number of these house-hunting shows and we're amazed by what people think is "too small". I grew up in a 1300 sq ft house where my sisters shared a bedroom. These days that seems to be unbearable for the parents.

bob

8. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

9. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

Interesting. I would have thought someone named Mr. Checks would have heritage that was, well, Czech. [​IMG]

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

13. faustian bargain

to me, square footage alone does not a mcmansion make. the term implies a mass-produced aesthetic, whether or not it is actually a tract home. true, it has to be large, but it has also to look large, and to have features and materials that suggest the people making the decisions couldn't be bothered with thinking about such frivolities as style with integrity, or landscape, or good taste, or what have you.

/andrew

14. stach

stach Senior member

N.Y. Times is now writing about McCondos -

15. faustian bargain

I see that happening with all the so-called "lofts" going up in suburban and exurban areas. it's just wierd.